American Journey Grain-Free Chicken & Sweet Potato Dog Food
Last updated date: July 2, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Dry Dog Food and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Dry Dog Food you should buy.
Update as April 23, 2021:
Checkout The Best Dry Dog Food for a detailed review of all the top dry dog food.
Pets are family. Every dog owner knows that their fur babies deserve only the best. It can be difficult to navigate the pet food aisle, however. There are a tremendous number of dog foods on the market, each making claims about their ingredients and the benefits to pups who consume them. How do you properly vet that information, all while keeping your dog’s specific health concerns and your budget in mind?
Fortunately, some dog foods make this easy. American Journey’s dog food is a delicious and nutritious choice for pups. Its ingredients include boneless beef first and foremost. It also is made of wholesome grains to provide your dog with the energy it needs to enjoy the day.
That’s not all, of course. This American Journey dog food has both fruits and vegetables in its formula. These include carrots, blueberries and cranberries, all of which are filled with vitamins and antioxidants. This unique combination of nutrients allows dogs to build lean muscle and help with fiber content for easier digestion. From omega fatty acids to protein to pure deliciousness, this dog food delivers.
When buying pet food, it’s just as important to know what isn’t included as it is to see what’s on the label. This formula doesn’t have any by-products from poultry plants. It also skips wheat, corn and soy. It’s all-natural and a great choice for dogs of any age or activity level. That said, be sure to consult with your vet before switching your dog’s food.
You love your dog and want them to enjoy their best life. It’s essential to choose the right food for them. There’s a lot to love about American Journey dog food, but you’ll especially appreciate that its ingredients are tasty things you also know and love.
This dog food is made in the United States of America, so you can feel good about giving your dog food that has been produced domestically. American Journey may also contain some imported ingredients, but this will be noted on the label.This dog food is both nutritious and delicious, providing your dog with everything she needs to grow and thrive. The first ingredient is boneless beef, and the formula also includes fruits and vegetables.
- Contains all-natural beef and plenty of protein
- Contains carrots, blueberries and cranberries
- Contains wholesome grains
- Contains omega fatty acids
- Great for building lean muscle
- Plenty of antioxidants
- Excellent fiber content
- No wheat, corn or soy
- No poultry plant by-products
- Sustained energy for dogs of all ages
- Great choice for dogs of varying activity levels
- Made in the United States of America, with some imported ingredients as noted
- Formulated to meet or exceed the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) guidelines
In our analysis of 121 expert reviews, the American Journey Grain-Free Chicken & Sweet Potato Dog Food placed 7th when we looked at the top 20 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
American Journey is full of nutritious ingredients that fuel your pet’s everyday adventures. The Beef & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food formula features real, deboned beef as the first ingredient, plus wholesome grains and premium fruits and vegetables like carrots, blueberries and cranberries. This tasty recipe delivers protein for lean muscles and powerful antioxidants to help keep your dog feeling his best. You’ll find everything your dog needs to stay healthy—tons of natural fibers for good digestion and plenty of omega fatty acids from several sources for skin and coat support. And it’s made without poultry by-product meal, wheat, corn or soy—just the best ingredients with the most benefits for your dog
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Dry Dog Food
Dogs are like members of our families, so of course, we want to keep them as healthy and happy as possible. The foundation for that is proper nutrition. A consistent, high-quality diet is the key to keeping your dog looking and feeling great. Feeding your dog the best dog food will keep them functioning at their best and can ward off chronic diseases, leading to a longer life. Dry dog food is very common and convenient, as it does not require refrigeration.
There’s a ton of different types of dry dog food out there, so the choices can be overwhelming. You should look for dog food that is labeled as “complete and balanced,” which means the food contains the minimum amount of all the nutrients necessary for dogs. This standard is regulated by the Association of American Feed Control Officials. Keep in mind that buzzwords like “premium” and “immune supporting” are not regulated and should not carry much weight in your choice.
Just as with human food, you want to make sure your dog is eating a diet with real, whole foods and one that is free from artificial preservatives and additives. Make sure your dog’s food contains a high-quality animal protein source, like lamb, chicken or turkey. Leading brands, such as Orijen Tundra, contain multiple protein sources, including chicken, turkey, flounder and egg.
Many veterinarians recommend avoiding dog food that contains grains like corn, wheat and soy, as dogs do not need these starches. Although many healthy dog foods contain carbohydrates in the form of fruit and vegetables, brands like Taste of the Wild tout their grain-free recipe.
Other healthy ingredients include probiotics, which benefit the intestinal and immune systems, and minerals. Minerals should be chelated or proteinated for maximum absorption.
Some dogs need special diets, and diets should be adjusted for puppies and senior dogs. The right dog food for your pet will meet all of their needs and come at an affordable price.
The Dry Dog Food Buying Guide
- Make sure to feed your dog the proper amount. Overfeeding your dog ups their risk of obesity and associated health problems. There are some formulas to determine how much you should be feeding your dog depending on their size and breed, and your veterinarian can also provide you with guidance.
- Puppies need small, frequent meals, while adult dogs can eat just one to two meals per day. Some dogs are grazers, meaning that they will eat small amounts throughout the day, but many more will eat all the food that is given to them at a time, which is why it’s important not to overfeed them.
- Price is an important factor in dog food, as it’s one of the major ongoing expenses associated with being a pet owner. A higher price tag does not necessarily translate to a superior product.
- To keep your dog’s food fresh, make sure it is sealed. Some brands come with resealable tops, or you can put it in an airtight container, preferably made of glass or stainless steel. Make sure you keep your dog food in a cool, dry place. Moisture and heat can compromise the food’s safety and quality.
- Just like human food, dog food has an expiration date. Dry dog food is generally good for one year. Never give your dog food that smells or looks spoiled.
- It’s important that the food you choose is a good fit for your dog. If your dog rejects a food or it makes them sick, it may not be the optimal choice for them. Consult with your veterinarian to find the type of food that’s best for your pet.
- Make sure you wash the bowls your dog eats and drinks from regularly, ideally every day. Once a week, they should be sanitized with a bleach solution. Stainless steel bowls are the easiest to keep clean.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide