Last updated date: September 6, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Colander and Strainers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Colander and Strainer you should buy.
Editor's Note October 9, 2019:
Checkout The Best Colander and Strainer for a detailed review of all the top colander and strainers.
In our analysis of 72 expert reviews, the LiveFresh LiveFresh Colander placed 5th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Stop watching your pasta and grains slip through the holes of your colander. No more slow or incompletely draining water. Don’t worry about broken handles, warping, tipping over, poor drainage, or rust again! With The LiveFresh premium stainless steel large colander, now you can own a rapid draining 5 Qt colander that won’t tip over and is perfect for any straining task. It is ideal for steaming fresh vegetables, boiling a pot of spaghetti, or rinsing 5 quarts of hand-picked fruit. Does your Colander meet your expectations? MICRO-PERFORATED HOLES Our lightweight steel has very small 1.8 mm holes cut into a close mesh-style pattern that allows the water to drain rapidly and stops cooked rice or small pasta from falling through. And while you might think water would drain more quickly if the holes were larger, actually the opposite is true. The entire surface of our colander is covered with micro-perforations for maximum draining, so there’s nowhere for water to get trapped. HEAVY DUTY STEEL Our colanders are 20% thicker than any other colanders. A thicker colander means it won't easily warp or get damage when you accidentally dropped or pushed it. RIVETED HANDLES Our premium handles are riveted to the bowl so it will never come off! You'll never have to worry about handles coming off or a freak accident due to excessive weight contents in the colander while holding it. SOLID BASE WITH DRAINAGE PORTS Colanders with feet can easily tip over when placed on an uneven surface. Our top-quality solid ring base provides a sturdy and stable foundation that will not upset on any surface. After straining or rinsing fruits, vegetables or pasta, you can put the LiveFresh Colander on any surface while you work on something else. DISHWASHER SAFE Our colanders are dishwasher safe. Just run it through the dishwashwer or under running water for a few seconds and you can use it again instantly! LIFETIME SATISFACTION Make this the last colander you’ll ever buy! Our premium stainless steel strainer is engineered to last a lifetime with unmatched strength and durability – at a bargain sale price. All Materials are FDA Tested and Approved. We take pride in our product and stand by it with a 100% Manufacturer’s Money-back Promise. If it's not what you hoped it would be, simply return it and get a full refund. Hassle free, no questions asked. A MUST FOR ANY KITCHEN... LiveFresh Over the Sink Micro-perforated Stainless Steel 4-Quart Colander with Non-Slip Handle Grips and Rubber Feet - Handles Extend to Fit Any Sink With an extendable non-slip handle grip and rubber feet, our micro-perforated stainless steel oval colander strainer basket can rest over the sink or stably on any flat surface. So while you’re busy preparing other ingredients, you can just rest this colander strainer basket on your countertops or on top of the sink without worry of it tipping over or falling in. LiveFresh Food Strainer Set - Premium Fine Stainless Steel Fine Mesh Strainers, Colanders and Sifters Crafted for Quinoa & Amaranth with Comfortable Non Slip Handles - 3 Sizes Be more efficient in the kitchen and always have the perfect size strainer when you need it! Get all 3 of our premium strainers (7-5/8”, 5 1/2” and 3”) for a bargain price and be ready for any task at-hand. LiveFresh Unbleached Cheesecloth with 50' All-Natural Unbleached Cooking Twine and Cheesemaking Guide - Grade 50, 2.5 Yards When you buy our 2.5 yard (2.1 sq. m) pack, it includes 10% more yards of cheesecloth and 50 feet (15.2 m) of our premium-grade, all-natural unbleached cotton cooking twine FOR FREE. Normally you’ll buy the cooking twine separately but we’ve included it here. That’s more value for your money! Now, you will always have enough twine on-hand.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Colander And Strainers
Your favorite pantry staples, like pasta and rice, cook up quick and add a tasty starch to any dish. But you’ve got to have the right tools to whip up a great bowl of rotini or a side of brown rice. Colanders, sometimes called strainers, are a kitchen essential that don’t get a lot of attention. However, you need a high-quality one to whip up your favorite dishes.
You can pick up a cheap plastic colander at any major retailer or home goods store for a couple of bucks, but it won’t last, and plastic can absorb strong odors over time. A more thoughtful approach to purchasing this kitchen standby will pay off in the long run.
Colanders are perforated bowls that you use to drain or rinse foods like spaghetti, quinoa or chopped veggies. They typically have a long handle or a grip on each side so that you can grab and tilt the colander without burning your hands. The terms “colander” and “strainer” are often used interchangeably, but some people prefer to use “strainer” for cookware with small perforations and “colander” for larger holes.
Some colanders are built with a base or small legs on the bottom. This elevates the strainer so you can rest it in your kitchen sink as it drains, preventing the strained water from building up and seeping back into the bowl. Other colanders have wide hooks so you can rest them on the side of your sink as you strain heavy foods.
Clip-on colanders are also a popular option. They’re usually made of silicone, and they can stretch or retract to fit on almost any pot or pan. Some stainless steel clip-on colanders exist, but they’re not as adjustable as silicone versions. Clip-ons are smaller than standard colanders, so they’re great for small kitchens with limited storage space.
Buying a quality colander or strainer instead of settling for cheaply made ones is a small change that can yield big results. Our Tips & Advice will help you navigate your online shopping.
The Colander And Strainer Buying Guide
- The perfect colander or strainer will be made of dense, rust-proof materials, like stainless steel. Silicone strainers are also a great option. They’re less likely to create a breeding ground for bacteria than other materials. Plastic colanders may crack or absorb odors over time.
- Think about what types of meals you frequently cook. This will determine the size of the holes you’ll need in your strainer. If you make lots of rice or quinoa, look for a strainer with very small holes. Models with double layers of mesh are also helpful; they’ll keep small grains in your strainer while still draining water. If you love thicker pastas like spaghetti, a colander with larger holes will suffice.
- The placement of the handle or grips on your colander is also important. Handles should be long enough to keep your hands safely away from hot water. They also need to be sturdy enough to hold up under the weight of thicker veggies like potatoes. If your colander uses hand grips, make sure they stick out far enough to give you some distance from boiling water. Grips with rubber covers will also keep your palms nice and cool as you cook.
- Do you have a large kitchen, or are you whipping up meals in a small space? Your colander will take up some room in your cabinet, so make sure you have enough room for storage before you buy a large one. Strainer sets will take up more space, while folding silicone colanders can squeeze into small corners. You can also use the colander’s grips or hooks to hang it up, saving yourself tons of cabinet space.
- Properly caring for your strainer will help it last for years. Make sure that yours is dishwasher safe before you pop it in on the hot cycle. Handwashing it with gentle dishwashing liquid and allowing it to air dry is always a safe bet. Using your sink’s sprayer hose on the colander’s basket will help you knock any food particles loose.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide