The Best Dog Backpack
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Dog backpacks are great for bringing pets along on walks and hikes, and some can serve double-duty as carriers in your car or truck. Before buying one, measure and weigh your pet and look for backpacks that meet those size specifications. If your dog is at the top of the weight or size range, you may want to go up a size for their comfort.
Decide on what you will be using the backpack for. It can be difficult to carry a big dog in a heavy backpack on a long hike.
Some of the backpacks on the market are more suited for transporting pets, while others are great for walking long distances. Strong and padded shoulder straps will also keep you more comfortable when you are out exploring.
Our Picks For The Top Dog Backpacks
- 1. K9 Sport Sack Dog Carrier Backpack, Small
- 2. Apolla Walker Dog & Pet Backpack, Gray
- 3. Pawaboo Adjustable Dog Backpack, Medium
- 4. Pecute Expandable Dog Backpack, Light Grey
- 5. PetAmi Heather Grey Ventilated Dob Backpack
- 6. Texsens Collapsible Dog Backpack, Black
- 7. Henkelion Small Blue Space Capsule Dog Backpack
- 8. Mogoko Breathable Head Out Dog Backpack, Large
- 9. Outward Hound PoochPouch Front Carrier Dog Backpack
K9 Sport Sack
Dog Carrier Backpack, Small
Designed for smaller dogs with a length of 14 inches to 17 inches and a girth of up to 27 inches, the K9 backpack is the perfect dog travel bag. It has ventilated shoulder straps, adjustable side pockets and five failsafe safety features.
Colorful and ComfortableYour best buddy will love having your back in this roomy pack.
Dog & Pet Backpack, Gray
This larger-sized pet carrier backpack accommodates small and large dogs, and it has cushioned back support for you. It measures 11.4 inches by 12.6 inches by 16.8 inches, and it features a top mesh window and fleece bedding.
Canine-Approved and PracticalKeep your pet safe and cozy in this amazing, breathable backpack.
Adjustable Dog Backpack, Medium
This dog backpack can be worn on your front or back, and it lets your dog sit upright to face the world. It works best for smaller pets that weigh up to 15 pounds, and it keeps them comfortable and safe.
Sitting Straight UpAll dogs like to sit with their legs and tails out, and you will enjoy making them happy with this pack that allows such a position.
Expandable Dog Backpack, Light Grey
This is an expandable dog carrier backpack that can hold pets weighing up to 18 pounds. Pups have plenty of room to move around or rest inside, which reduces their anxiety.
Expands to Larger SizesThis easy-to-wear backpack is quite versatile, and you will find yourself using it whenever you and your dog are on-the-go.
What to Look For
- Safety features are very important for dog carrier backpacks. Be sure that the backpack has a place to attach the collar, otherwise, your dog might jump out and run away.
- Comfort is also key. Look for backpacks that have soft areas for your pet to relax.
- Like babies, dogs like that snuggly feeling of being next to a warm human body. Just make sure to allow them enough room to move around.
- To find your dog’s height, measure from the floor up onto the top of his or her shoulders. For girth, measure over their shoulders, behind the front legs and back up again.
Dog Backpack Rankings
More to Explore
Humans are not the only beings who use backpacks; there are also backpacks made for dogs themselves to wear.
Pups can carry their own snacks, water and other items in these packs, which strap around their body. Not all dogs like wearing backpacks, though. As such, if you want to get one, you should be sure that it is lightweight and adjustable.