The Best Sofas
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
The average person spends at least 18 years of their life sitting down. That means if you’re in the market for a new sofa, you’ll want to take care when picking one out. You’ll likely be spending a great deal of time on the sofa and you want it to withstand many years of daily use.
Review the sofa’s construction first. You want a model with a solid hardwood frame for stability and durable woven fabric that won’t come apart. It’s also important that the feet have padding underneath. Otherwise, the feet may scratch the surface of your flooring.
Consider a couch that doubles as a bed. This is especially helpful if you enjoy having friends or family spend the night. There are models that convert into futons. Many of them can even be used in smaller apartments and condos, should space be an issue where you live.
Determine which sofa style best fits your personality. There are couches with a vintage look that have vertical stitching and a button-tufted design, as well as sofas with a contemporary flair that offer supportive foam cushions and clean lines.
Look for extra padding, as you want the couch to be a relaxing place to watch television or read a good book. High-density foam is always nice. In addition to the cushions, you want to make sure the armrests are padded.
MORE: The Best Ottoman
Our Picks For The Top Sofas
- 1. HONBAY Reversible Sectional Modular Sofa with Chaise
- 2. Christopher Knight Home Aidan Mid-Century Modern Sofa
- 3. Poundex 3-Piece Sectional Sofa
- 4. Lifestyle Solutions HRFKS3BK Grayson Sofa
- 5. Lilola Home Lucca Reversible Sleeper & Storage Sectional Sofa
- 6. Novogratz Brittany Tufted Futon Sofa
- 7. Mr. Kate Winston Reversible Sectional Sofa
- 8. ZINUS Josh Easy-Assemble Sofa
- 9. Stone & Beam Westview Extra-Deep Sofa
Reversible Sectional Modular Sofa with Chaise
With three available colors and five core pieces you can configure this sectional in a variety of ways to fit your space.
Storage!Each piece has a storage space under the seat so you have a place to store throw blankets, pillows, games, toys... anything you'd like to keep in your living room.
Christopher Knight Home
Aidan Mid-Century Modern Sofa
Elegant is the best word to describe this sofa, which gives off a mid-century vibe. The frame is made from a durable wood, while the upholstery has beautifully handcrafted details. The back features a button tufted design and each side is decorated with a bolster pillow.
Great for an Office SpaceThis sofa is easy to assemble, so you can begin using it shortly after it arrives.
3-Piece Sectional Sofa
Along with this sectional sofa comes a matching ottoman. Both pieces have an attractive tufted design with a shiny nailhead trim. The sectional is also available in a cool gray or a sleek black to match your existing furniture.
Decorative Nailhead TrimThis sofa seats up to five adults comfortably.
HRFKS3BK Grayson Sofa
Available in black, brown, or dark gray, this sofa looks good in any space. It has a simple design with hand-crafted one-button tufted back cushions for a bit of style. The sofa features a durable wood frame and thick cushions for lounging with a blanket and a good movie.
Most EconomicalWhen decorating your home on a budget, this affordable sofa is the way to go.
What to Look For
- Always consider how much assembly is involved when choosing a sofa. Some models come fully assemble, while others can be put together in 20 minutes without the need for any special tools. Then there are also models that can be quite complicated to put together and would require the help of a friend or family member.
- Keeping your sofa clean is important if you want it to continue to look like new. All of the sofas can be vacuumed using the upholstery attachment. Some have cushion covers that can be removed and tossed in the washing machine. Those that don’t have removable covers can be wiped down with a damp cloth that has a bit of a gentle detergent on it.
- Add style to your living space by tossing a few decorative accent pillows on the couch. You can go with a few pillows that feature a solid contrasting color or a set of pillows with a fun design.
- No matter what your budget, you’re sure to find a sofa in a price range that you can afford.
More to Explore
Keep your new sofa clean and fresh with expert advice and reviewed products.