The Best Water Doodle Mat
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
A water doodle mat can keep your kid entertained and allow them to be creative without making a mess. This type of toy has a special canvas that your child can draw on with a simple pen filled with water. The drawing will show up as colorful ink that typically fades away in 10 minutes or less, so the mat will be ready for reuse shortly after your child makes their creation.
When shopping for water doodle mats, you’ll want to purchase the right size for your family’s needs. If you plan to bring the mat on a car or plane trip, you might opt for the travel-sized version. You can find a medium-sized mat that works well for one child, or you can purchase jumbo mats with enough space for multiple kids to work simultaneously.
Water doodle mats often come with a decorative border that can either teach your child basic concepts or provide inspiration for their drawings. If you want your child to work on the alphabet or numbers, you can choose a mat displaying these topics and provide a fun way to learn. Other mats may have a theme like ocean animals, outer space or basic shapes.
At a minimum, you can expect to get at least one water pen with your water doodle mat. Some sets will come with items such as stencils, drawing booklets, sponges or pens that draw certain shapes. You can also find unique options with lighted pens used to make glow-in-the-dark drawings.
Larger water doodle mats usually include suction cups you can use to secure the mat to a hard surface like a wall or floor and make it easier for children to work on it.
Our Picks For The Top Water Doodle Mats
- 1. KIZZYEA Reusable Large Water Doodle Mat
- 2. Alago Educational Portable Water Doodle Mat
- 3. Toyk Ocean Pattern Water Doodle Mat
- 4. FREE TO FLY Dinosaur World Water Doodle Mat
- 5. Betheaces Mess Free Water Doodle Mat
- 6. Jasonwell Waterproof Backing Water Doodle Mat
- 7. AquaDoodle Fabric Border Water Doodle Mat
- 8. Coolplay Easy Carry Ink-Less Water Doodle Mat
Reusable Large Water Doodle Mat
Designed for toddlers ages 2 to 5, this water doodle mat is both colorful and entertaining. The border of the mat is decorated with letters of the alphabet, primary colors and adorable animals. Kids can use the special markers to draw their own creations, trace around the provided stencils or use the step-by-step instruction booklet to learn how to...
Affordable Price TagWhen shopping on a budget, this economical water doodle mat is the way to go.
Educational Portable Water Doodle Mat
If your child learns best completing hands-on activities, you'll want to grab this water doodle mat. It's large enough for several kids to use at once and comes with four magic pens, four stencils and a design booklet. Parents will appreciate that the mat is non-toxic and mess-free.
Creative LearningThe images, letters or shapes kids draw on this water doodle mat disappear in under 10 minutes, allowing for new sketches to be made.
Ocean Pattern Water Doodle Mat
This giant water doodle mat measures 40 inches by 28 inches and has enough space for several children. It comes with six pens, several stencils and a booklet for inspiration.
Super Large SpaceIf you need a super-sized mat for group activities, this option provides the space and drawing tools to keep several children entertained at once.
Easy Carry Ink-Less Water Doodle Mat
Your child can easily take this foldable water doodle mat with them on trips to stay entertained. It comes with two pens, has an alphabet theme and folds up like a small handbag.
Great for TripsIf you want a small water doodle mat that works great both at home and on the go, this travel-sized mat includes all your child needs to get started.
What to Look For
- If you want to buy a large water doodle mat but worry about it taking up space, know that most manufacturers make mats that you can easily fold up.
- To avoid damaging the water doodle mat’s special canvas, avoid using harsh cleaning chemicals if your child spills something on it. You should check the directions for your specific mat, but you’ll probably want to try to use a soft cloth that’s slightly damp. Some manufacturers might allow a mild dish soap.
- Rather than trying to use a blow dryer or clothes dryer for a wet mat, always leave it to air dry to avoid damage.
- When filling the water doodle pen, make sure that you don’t fill it above the point recommended by your manufacturer. Otherwise, the pen can leak while your child tries to draw.
- Make sure that your child only uses the included drawing tools with their mat since items like crayons and markers will be very hard or impossible to clean off the mat.
- Since water doodle pens come apart, avoid giving this kind of toy to children who like to put things in their mouths since this can create a hazard.
Water Doodle Mat Rankings
More to Explore
The concept of a water doodle mat traces back to 2003, when the company Spin Master released the Aquadoodle mat in the U.S. as well as other countries. Unlike the water doodle mats now that can reveal various color patterns when a child draws, the original product used a canvas that just showed blue ink. While this type of art form is still pretty new, people have been making drawings in some form potentially as far back as 73,000 years ago.