The Best Hair Removal Cream
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
There are many ways to remove unwanted body hair, from waxing to lasers to epilators to old-fashioned razors. But one little-known method that’s been around for decades is something called depilatory hair removal cream.
With depilatory creams, you simply rub it on and wait. After a designated period of time has passed, you wipe the cream away using a damp washcloth or sponge. You’ll wipe in the opposite direction of hair growth, then rinse your skin with lukewarm water to make sure no cream remains.
How does this type of product work? Depilatory creams have chemicals like sodium thioglycolate, calcium thioglycolate and strontium sulfide that break down the protein bonds in your hair. It goes to work on the strand of the hair, not the root, so you won’t get the same experience you’d get from waxing or an epilator, but you also won’t get the painful experience you get when hairs are pulled out by the root.
However, depilatory creams have varying levels of effectiveness. They can especially face challenges with extremely coarse hair, which is harder to break down. But over the years, depilatory creams have improved so that they’re more effective, and some can even remove even the most stubborn hair.
Our Picks For The Top Hair Removal Creams
- 1. Nair Hair Remover Cream, 3.3-Ounce
- 2. Veet Gel Hair Removal Cream, 13.5-Ounce
- 3. Nad’s Hair Removal Cream, 5.1-Ounce
- 4. NEOMEN Skin Friendly Hair Removal Cream
- 5. Avon Skin So Soft Hair Removal Cream, 3-Pack
- 6. Chinoxia Painless Hair Removal Cream, 1.69-Ounce
- 7. GiGi Cucumber & Aloe Hair Removal Cream, 8-Ounce
- 8. Blitzby 10-Minute Hair Removal Cream, 3.38-Ounces
- 9. POP MODERN.C Moisturizing Hair Removal Cream, 5.93-Ounce
Hair Remover Cream, 3.3-Ounce
Infused with Moroccan argan oil, this hair remover from a well-known brand is built for easy application. The extra oil helps with sensitive areas like your underarms and bikini line. Its max formula works even on coarse hair, but it doesn't work as well on legs.
Bikini and UnderarmsThis roll-on hair remover is designed for use on the bikini area and underarms.
Gel Hair Removal Cream, 13.5-Ounce
Designed for all types of hair, this pump-style hair remover can be used on the legs, as well as anywhere else on the body. It's infused with aloe and vitamin E to leave your skin feeling soft and moisturized. The special formula can also help keep ingrown hairs and bumps to a minimum.
Pump-Style BottleA pump-style bottle makes it easy to dispense just the amount of hair removal gel you need.
Hair Removal Cream, 5.1-Ounce
You can use this hair remover in the shower since it works in just a few minutes. It goes to work on even the shortest hair on your legs or other parts of your body. The cream has natural extracts of melon, aloe vera, avocado oil and honey to help keep the skin safe and smooth.
Quick, Easy UseIn just four minutes, you can wipe away this cream, as well as the removed hair, making it ideal for shower use.
Skin Friendly Hair Removal Cream
In just five minutes, this hair remover does its work, removing hair on your legs, underarms and any other part of the body you need. It uses a formula of aloe vera, vitamin E and baby oil to keep skin irritation to a minimum.
Portable SizeThe quick action and portable container makes this a great hair removal to take on the go with you.
What to Look For
- The chemicals in depilatories can be harsh. Even if one is labeled safe for sensitive skin, test on a small area of your body and wait a day or two before using it all over.
- Even if a cream is labeled for use everywhere on the body, take caution when using it in sensitive areas like your face or genitals.
- Apply depilatories to dry skin. Don’t use any cream or lotion on the skin before starting the hair removal process.
- Follow the directions carefully. Leaving depilatories on too long can damage the skin.
- At one time, the chemical odors emitted by depilatory creams were overwhelming. Today’s creams have been formulated to reduce that smell, but you might want to open a window to ventilate the area while using.
- Avoid using depilatory creams on any skin that’s irritated or inflamed.
- While applying the cream, you’ll likely feel a tingling sensation. However, if it starts to burn, immediately wipe the cream off and rinse the area.
- After wiping off the depilatory cream and any removed hair, rinse with lukewarm water until all traces of the cream are gone. Do not use any products like body wash in the time immediately following removal.
Hair Removal Cream Rankings
More to Explore
Head hair grows about 6 inches per year, but body hair grows much more slowly than that. Researchers aren’t sure why there’s a difference, but body hair growth cycles are less intense than the cycles that affect the hair on our heads. Whether on the head or body, hair growth comes from follicles, growing from the root. The root is made of keratin and cell proteins.
Hair is the fastest-growing tissue in the body, but you’ll see even faster hair growth in warmer weather. That happens because heat stimulates circulation, which encourages growth. If you live in a hot climate, you may find that you need a haircut sooner than your friends who spend more of their year in colder weather.