The Best Christmas Sweaters for Holiday Celebrations
DEAL: Get up to 90% off at UglyChristmasSweater.com
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
When the weather starts to get colder and the radio starts playing Christmas music all day long, you know it’s time to bring out that favorite holiday sweater. Often called an “ugly Christmas sweater,” it’s a great outfit choice when you want to celebrate the holiday season while staying warm and cozy. Holiday sweaters are generally considered a bit on the gaudy side, but with an element of fun. The more embellishments they have, such as tinsel and pom-poms, the better.
In terms of design, you will find a lot of Christmas trees, Santa Clauses, reindeer and wrapped presents. You may also see some Christmas lights, candy canes, holly and mistletoe. Many Christmas sweaters have stripes, floral patterns, geometric patterns or argyle shapes. You may also see some with polka dots or plaid patterns as well.
Trends in Christmas sweaters for women include different shapes, such as cardigans or sweaters with long, flowy sides. You may also find Christmas sweaters that have large buttons down the front or options with a turtleneck. While many sweaters have only images and patterns, you may also be able to find ones that have short sayings or phrases. Be sure to find a Christmas sweater that matches your personality so you can really stand out this holiday season.
Our Picks For The Top Christmas Sweaters
- 1. Blizzard Bay Men’s Light-Up Christmas Sweater
- 2. Tipsy Elves Men’s Gaudy Garland Sweater – Tacky Christmas Sweater w/Ornaments
- 3. v28 Oversized Reindeer Christmas Cardigan Sweater For Women
- 4. U LOOK UGLY TODAY Knitted Reindeer Christmas Sweater For Men
- 5. Blizzard Bay Men’s Dinosaur Ugly Christmas Sweater
- 6. daisysboutique Women’s Knitted Reindeer Sweater
- 7. Sidefeel Women Geometric Reindeer Cardigan
- 8. v28 Men’s Christmas Reindeer Snowman Penguin Santa and Snowflakes Sweater
- 9. daisysboutique Men’s Christmas Holiday Santa Sweater Cute Ugly Pullover
- 10. daisysboutique Men’s Christmas Decorations Stripes Sweater Cute Ugly Pullover
- 11. LILBETTER Off Shoulder Sweater Christmas Sweater For Women
- 12. tipsyelves Men’s Ugly Christmas Sweater – Reindeer Climax Tacky Christmas Sweater Blue
- 13. U LOOK UGLY TODAY Unisex Pullover Santa Christmas Sweater
- 14. Blizzard Bay Men’s Llama Ugly Christmas Sweater
- 15. v28 Women’s Reindeer Christmas Sweater
- 16. LookbookStore Grey Tree & Reindeer Christmas Sweater For Women
- 17. Hybrid Apparel Men’s Dinosaur Christmas Sweater
- 18. Blizzard Bay Men’s Dinosaur Ugly Christmas Sweater
- 19. Tipsy Elves Women’s Sequin Snowman Christmas Sweater
- 20. Disney Minnie Mouse Holiday Snowflakes Sweatshirt
Men's Light-Up Christmas Sweater
Gift the man in your life this warm and cozy Christmas sweater. The sweater is made from 100% cotton and features Santa being guided by adorable cats instead of his normal reindeer. If this pattern isn't your cup of tea, the company has 28 other choices to shop from.
Festive Sweater for MenThis Christmas sweater look great when paired with denim jeans.
Men's Gaudy Garland Sweater
This sweater is not for the timid, but it's ideal for the man who is out to win an ugly sweater contest. The front of this pullover is heavily decorated with sparkling green garland and real ornaments. This gaudy sweater is sure to capture attention.
Over-the-TopThe Tipsy Elves Men's Gaudy Garland Sweater is gaudy greatness.
Oversized Reindeer Christmas Cardigan Sweater For Women
Add a layer of warmth to your winter outfit with this festive sweater for women. The sweater has an open front, two side pockets and features an adorable reindeer pattern. It's made from 100% acrylic, so you can count on it being both soft and comfortable to wear.
Two Side PocketsYou'll find this festive sweater for women in a wide range of sizes from small to extra extra-large.
U LOOK UGLY TODAY
Knitted Reindeer Christmas Sweater For Men
This festive sweater for men is constructed from a high-quality acrylic that won't shrink when you wash it. The sweater is soft and non-irritating, which is important if you have sensitive skin. There are eight different designs to choose from, so you're sure to find a style to match your personality.
Machine-WashableWhether you have a love for cute penguins or you're dreaming about cookies and candy canes, this festive sweater for men is sure to make you smile.
What to Look For
- When you’re looking for a standout Christmas sweater, the most important element to consider is the level of festivity it offers. You want to make sure the colors, designs and patterns match with your overall sense of style and help you show your enthusiasm for the holiday.
- For many shoppers, the material of the sweater is important to check. After all, you don’t want to show up to a Christmas party only to realize that you’re allergic to your holiday sweater. Also be sure to keep comfort and warmth in mind.
- If you are not a fan of handwashing clothes, be sure to check the care instructions of your Christmas sweater. Because of all of the tactile elements on these sweaters, many of them are handwash only. However, you may also be able to find options that can be thrown into the washing machine.
- Do you plan on wearing your Christmas sweater on many occasions over several holiday seasons, or do you just want a Christmas sweater for a party coming up? How often you plan on wearing your sweater may dictate how much you want to pay for it.
- Looking for more festive fashion? Check our top picks for the best Christmas pajamas, socks, and earrings.
Christmas Sweater Rankings
More to Explore
The History of the Christmas Sweater
Were festive sweaters always considered “ugly”? It’s hard to know whether they started out with gaudy intentions or whether the perception of the festive sweater changed as fashion trends evolved.
The first mass-produced Christmas garments first became available to the mainstream market in the 1980s. They were originally called “jingle bell sweaters.” Around the same time, family sitcoms became popular on TV, with characters often wearing buttoned-down cardigans with flashy Christmas designs on them.
Vancouver, Canada claims the title of birthplace of the ugly Christmas sweater, as it held the first ugly Christmas sweater party in 2002. In fact, the founders of the party have actually trademarked the phrases “ugly Christmas sweater” and “ugly Christmas sweater party.”