Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System
Last updated date: April 22, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Laser Hair Removal Systems and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Laser Hair Removal System you should buy.
In our analysis of 80 expert reviews, the Philips Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System placed 8th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 29, 2019:
Checkout The Best Laser Hair Removal System for a detailed review of all the top laser hair removal systems.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Enjoy silky-smooth skin every day with the Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System. Gentle and effective even on the most sensitive areas of the body, this light-based system uses IPL technology derived from professional salons to deliver up to 75% hair reduction after only four treatments or two months (when used bi-weekly on lower legs). It includes a skin tone sensor to ensure your skin and hair tone are suitable, as well as five adjustable light energy settings to ensure gentle but effective treatment. The Philips Lumea Comfort is intended for use on light to medium skin tones and on naturally dark blond, brown, and black hair. Unlike other brands, Philips Lumea Comfort does not require any replacement parts. The device provides six years of full body treatments with no replacement lamps. Philips, a leader in healthcare and lighting with more than 100 year of experience, has adapted the Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology used in professional salons for effective use at home. Philips Lumea Comfort IPL technology has been developed with dermatologists for optimal results, and has been clinically proven and tested in over 2000 women. The IPL technology used in Philips Lumea applies gentle pulses of light to the hair. The light produces heat, which is transferred to the hair follicle and triggers it to go into a resting phase. As a result, the hair sheds naturally and regrowth is inhibited. Applied regularly, these light pulses keep your skin smooth and hair-free. Clinical studies have shown up to 75% hair reduction after only four treatments (when used bi-weekly on lower legs). Shave the skin before treatment. Select your preferred energy setting and place the skin contact surface on your skin. The skin tone sensor automatically senses if the hair and skin tone are suitable and ensures device only activates if IPL will work on your skin tone. The ready warning light will start blinking. You can then press the flash bottom and use the slide and flash motion for continuous application. Apply Lumea Comfort every two weeks for the initial four to five treatments. In between treatments, hair sheds naturally and growth is inhibited. Repeat the treatment when needed (time between treatments may vary based on your individual hair regrowth). When following this treatment regimen you may experience up to 75% hair reduction after only four treatments (or two months)* resulting in smooth hair-free skin. Philips Lumea Comfort is gentle enough to use all over your body including most sensitive areas. Treatment areas include legs, armpits, bikini area, stomach, and arms. Application times range from 1-1.5 minutes for armpits and bikini lines to 11 minutes for the lower leg area. The Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System is suitable for different hair and skin tones and works effectively on naturally dark blond, brown, and black hair. As with other light-based treatments, it is not effective on red, light blond, white, or gray hair. The skin tone sensor measures your skin complexion at the beginning of each session and occasionally during the session. If it detects a skin tone that is too dark, it will automatically stop emitting pulses.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Laser Hair Removal Systems
When it comes to grooming, hair is one of the most time-consuming parts of the human body. Hair seems to grow where you don’t want it to, and then, as you get older, stop growing where you need it. Waxing, shaving and plucking all work, but only for a limited period of time. You can stretch that a little farther by removing hair from the root by waxing or plucking, but those processes are both more painful than shaving.
That’s where laser hair removal comes in. Although it isn’t without pain, a series of laser hair removal treatments will buy you much more time than shaving, waxing or plucking. Although you’ll never get permanent baldness in the areas you treat, advancements in in-office laser treatments will at least ensure that you only occasionally need to spot treat various areas.
In-home laser treatments may not be quite as effective at achieving permanent results. But, you’ll still find a substantial lack of regrowth after a full course of treatments. There are plenty of kits you can buy that will let you do your own laser hair removal, which may be preferable to going to an office and having someone else do it. But safety is a top concern when handling your own hair removal since you won’t have the benefit of an expert handling things.
When looking at laser hair removal, it’s important to know one thing that the experts would tell you: It’s not equally effective for everyone. Over the years, it’s become clear that the same lasers don’t work on all skin colors. For darker skin, a professional would likely use an Nd:YAG laser that can get past the pigmentation better than a diode laser can. But even knowing that, those with darker skin may want to trust the experts for a very important reason: Laser hair removal can exacerbate hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation for those who are prone to it. If you’re darker-skinned and you try to perform laser hair removal at home, it’s especially important that you test out a patch or two of your skin before treating your whole body.
Your hair color and type also make a big difference in your results. If you have fine hair, or your hair is lighter in color, lasers can be completely ineffective. They work best with coarse hair that is brunette or darker. However, newer lasers can do better with all hair types and colors, except for gray, but you won’t find that with a home kit.
DWYM Fun Fact
Laser hair removal uses light energy to zap a hair at its root. The beam of light in the laser seeks out the pigment in the hair, which then absorbs that light. At that point, the light is converted to heat that damages the follicles that hold that hair in place. Since the hair follicles are responsible for new hair growth, the treatment can be permanent. Laser treatment relies on finding that pigment, though, so those with darker hair will get the best results. The pigment in darker skin can get in the way of the laser doing its job, so those with light skin and dark hair will get the best results from traditional types of laser hair removal.
The Laser Hair Removal System Buying Guide
- If you’re going to be enduring the sting of laser hair removal, you’ll want to see results as quickly and efficiently as possible. The Beauty Hair Removal Laser uses the same diode lasers used in a professional setting. The DEESS Series 3 Hair Removal System promises up to 95 percent of hair removed after 12 treatments, but you’ll find the process takes several months. The Braun Gillette Venus Silk-Expert Intense Pulsed Light uses something called IPL technology, which is similar to what you see at the salon.
- You may feel intimidated by the process, but most home laser hair removal systems are easy to use. The Beauty Hair Removal Laser and Remington iLIGHT Pro Hair Removal System are both designed so that you can get started right out of the box.
- One of the best things about the Beauty Hair Removal Laser is the display that guides you through each step of the treatment. If you’re new to the process, that makes this model worth considering.
- Unfortunately, laser treatment won’t work on all skin types. Laser home removal kits are going to work best on light skin and dark hair, but the Braun Gillette Venus Silk-Expert Intense Pulsed Light tries. It builds in a SensoAdapt™ feature that pays attention to your skin tone and suggests a level of intensity that will get the best results. You still may be disappointed if you have dark skin, though.
- Safety is also a concern if you have darker skin. The Beauty Hair Removal Laser tests your skin and hair to determine whether you should take precautions before using it. The Remington iLIGHT Pro Hair Removal System also tests your skin type.
- Chances are, you plan to use your laser hair remover on some of your most sensitive body parts. Even your face and underarms can be prone to reactions after treatment. The Beauty Hair Removal Laser and DEESS Series 3 Hair Removal System are safe to use everywhere. The Remington iLIGHT Pro Hair Removal System is great for getting into smaller areas, especially on the face.
- It may seem like a small thing at the outset, but laser hair treatment can take time. For that reason, it helps to have a device that’s easy to hold. The lightweight design of the DEESS Series 3 Hair Removal System is great for this, as is the ergonomic shape of the Braun Gillette Venus Silk-Expert Intense Pulsed Light.
- When compared to the cost of multiple treatments with a professional, at-home laser hair removal is fairly affordable. You’ll buy the laser and use it to cover all your treatments moving forward. Still, some systems are more affordable than others, so it’s important to weigh features against cost.
- You’ll also need to factor in the cost of replacement cartridges since you’ll have to buy those as well. Although its sale price may be higher, the Remington iLIGHT Pro Hair Removal System’s replacement cartridges very affordable.
- The size of the sensor head determines how long it takes to treat various areas. The Braun Gillette Venus Silk-Expert Intense Pulsed Light has an aerodynamic head, which makes it easy to cover a large area, like your leg, in as little as eight minutes. This design also makes it easier to see the treatment head while you’re working. The Beauty Hair Removal Laser has a small sensor head, making sessions take a while.
- Although the instructions of your chosen device may state that you don’t need to wear safety goggles, you may want to take precautions. You can buy laser eye protection safety goggles for an affordable price.
- Numbing gel or topical anesthetic can help with the pain. Simply numb the area right before treatment and wait for it to dry. It’s a very inexpensive way to reduce the sting.
- You won’t get a completely pain-free laser hair removal session, no matter which device you choose. The DEESS Series 3 Hair Removal System provides a fairly painless experience, especially when combined with numbing gel.
- Another benefit of the DEESS Series 3 Hair Removal System is that it can do more than remove hair. You can also use it to treat acne.
- Safety is a top concern when you’re using lasers on your skin. First, it’s important to look for FDA approval on every device you choose. The Beauty Hair Removal Laser, DEESS Series 3 Hair Removal System and Remington iLIGHT Pro Hair Removal System all have clearance from the FDA for use on the body.
- The DEESS Series 3 Hair Removal System has an extra security precaution in the form of a safety sensor that won’t deliver the pulse until the head is pressed against your skin.
- You may find that there are side effects after using a laser for hair removal, but these are possible whether a professional is doing the treatments or you’re doing them yourself. They include skin redness and irritation, crusting, temporary changes in skin color, eye injury and increased risk of skin infection.
- As with in-office treatments, you’ll likely find it takes multiple sessions to get results. With the DEESS Series 3 Hair Removal System, you’ll need at least 6 to 10 treatments. With the Beauty Hair Removal Laser, the directions say to continue to treat the area every two weeks until you see results.
- One major differentiating factor between laser hair removal devices is how they’re powered. The Beauty Hair Removal Laser is cordless, which makes it easier to maneuver. However, it’s important to note that without a cord, you’re relying on battery, and you may have your session cut short when it dies. It might be better to go with a device like the Remington iLIGHT Pro Hair Removal System, which has an extendable cord to give you maneuverability without having to worry about battery life.