The Best Size 12 Girls’ Shoes
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Shopping for size 12 girls’ shoes can be a little tricky, since it is the largest size for toddlers ages 2 to 4. After that, you would hop to the next category: little kid shoes for ages 4 to 8, which starts at 12.5. Size 12 is 7 and 1/8 inches, while size 12.5 is 7 and 1/4 inches.
There is not much of a difference at all in length between a 12 and a 12.5, so be sure to measure carefully. If your child’s feet are smaller than average, she might be in the smaller size group, even if she is older. That means she might scoff at anything that makes her look “like a baby” (in her opinion).
When buying shoes for toddlers, look for sneakers and shoes with firm, flexible soles. If you’re uncertain about size, go to a children’s shoe store and have their feet measured there; you can always buy them online later on once you know the size.
Be aware that children’s feet usually grow pretty fast, so you may have to buy new pairs every few months. Once kids get a little older, they will be tougher on their shoes, so look for styles and brands that are more durable. Avoid pointy toes, high heels and clogs for young people, but feel free to go for bright colors, light-up features and of course, unicorns or dinosaurs.
Shop for girls’ shoes with an upper made from leather, cloth, canvas and mesh instead of plastic and rubber. Those last two materials are not porous, so her feet can get sweaty and uncomfortable.
As a guideline, it should be easy to bend the shoe with little effort. The treads should never be smooth, slick or have deep grooves that can catch onto things. Finally, slip-resistant soles are the best choice.
Our Picks For The Top Size 12 Girls' Shoes
- 1. DREAM PAIRS Lightweight Breathable Size 12 Girls’ Shoes
- 2. Skechers Sporty Light-Up Size 12 Girls’ Shoes
- 3. Nike Revolution 4 Responsive Cushioning Size 12 Girls’ Shoes
- 4. Skechers Light-Up Low Top Size 12 Girls’ Shoes
- 5. Nautica Wear-Resistant Hook & Loop Size 12 Girls’ Shoes
- 6. Saucony Wind Dual Closure Size 12 Girls’ Shoes
Lightweight Breathable Size 12 Girls' Shoes
Made with cushion lightweight molded EVA midsoles, breathable knit uppers and a soft, airy mesh liner to keep feet dry and odor-free, these sneakers are a great buy. Better yet, she'll love the way they look.
Vibrant, Dazzling Colors You girl will be thrilled when she's wearing these eye-catching, comfortable sneakers to school and for play.
Sporty Light-Up Size 12 Girls' Shoes
These cool Skechers sneakers have lights built right into the midsoles. They come in a variety of great neon colors and are made with flexible woven mesh fabric uppers.
Bright Lights for HerYou’ll never have to argue with her about putting her shoes on when these are the ones she needs to wear.
Revolution 4 Responsive Cushioning Size 12 Girls' Shoes
This pair of Nike Girls’ Revolution running shoes comes in quite a few colors and is made with leather and mesh construction, and a soft, comfortable foam midsole that responds to foot movement.
Athletic KicksGirls who prefer traditional-looking athletic shoes will be very happy with these durable, well-made sneakers.
Light-Up Low Top Size 12 Girls' Shoes
These adorable Sketchers sneakers are decorated with unicorns, rainbows and sequins. They also have light-up toe caps that blink as she walks and runs.
Twinkly and BlingyTrendy little girls who are into unicorns and bejeweled everything will absolutely love these little shoes.
What to Look For
- For help with sizing, download a printable children’s shoe sizing tool and measure their feet at home. You will then need to add a thumb-width space at the top of their longest toe to give them enough room (or follow the instructions on the shoe sizing chart).
- Make sure your child is standing up when you measure their feet; never do this while they are sitting down.
- Have your little one help you choose the shoes. Take your turn first by selecting three or four that are acceptable, and leave the final decision to her.
- Hand-me-downs are fine for clothing, but not for footwear. That is because shoes conform to the wearer’s feet and will not fit your child’s feet properly.
Size 12 Girls' Shoe Rankings
More to Explore
Light up shoes have been around longer than you might think. They were invented back in 1992 and popularized by the company L.A. Gear.
Originally designed for use by athletes, the blinking shoes quickly caught on and were a must-have style for fashion-forward kids. Their popularity died down after about three years, but light ups are back in style again, possibly for good.
Kids like seeing lights blinking on the soles of their sneakers, and some styles also have tops that light up. These shoes can also be good to wear out at night, because they make it easier for people to see children in the dark.