The Best Chop Saw
We looked at the top 5 Chop Saws and dug through the reviews from 19 of the most popular review sites including and more. The result is a ranking of the best Chop Saws.
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Chop saws are designed to cut through any material in a straight up and down motion. With their durable construction and blades, they can slice metal, wood, ceramics and plastics without hesitation. Ideal for serial tasks, many chop saws feature quick-lock and quick-release vises and clamps to keep the job moving along speedily.
In addition to blade size, which can vary by several inches and impacts cutting power, two other key considerations with chop saws are width and chopping depth. The chop saw’s mechanism can also impact its performance. When the saw blade enters the material, it slows down, the load on the saw increases and the rotations decrease. Unless this is controlled and monitored, the cutting quality can then decrease.
To ensure stable cutting quality, many chop saws have electronic systems for monitoring the constant number of rotations per second. For heavily used chop saws, being able to replace carbon brushes yourself can cut down on trips to the service center and let you continue working with the saw longer.
While a chop saw, unlike a miter saw, only moves straight up and down, chop saws do give the option of cuts angled horizontally across the material. Most allow for cuts at angles up to 45 degrees.
Our Picks For The Top Chop Saws
D28715 Quick-Change 14-Inch Chop Saw
This chop saw features a 15-amp, 4,000 RPM motor with overload protection. The quick, tool-free wheel change design makes changing blades easy, and at 39 pounds, this saw is compact and portable.
Quick Change and PowerfulThis no-fuss option is a reliable option for when you need strong, quick cuts without having to worry about weight, size or extra tools on hand.
12-Inch Carbide Blade Chop Saw, 15 Amp
Carbide-tipped blades optimize this saw for slicing tough metals without burrs, and the rest of the saw is as durable as the blade. The large cast-aluminum base provides stability, and the guide plate adjusts to up to 45 degrees for quick and precise angled cuts.
Metal-Cutting and AccurateWhen you need a powerful, long-lasting tool for cutting metal quickly, correctly and efficiently, this saw stands out.
PCE700 15-Amp 14-Inch Chop Saw
The easy-off clamp on this chop saw allows for speedy and easy material removal, meaning you can make more cuts per minute and keep the job rolling. With a steel base for stability, this saw also features a spindle-lock system for hassle-free blade changes.
Quick-Release and FastIf you want a reliable, steady saw that lets you move material along quickly, this tool is a solid option.
D28730 14-Inch Chop Saw
The ergonomically designed handle on this chop saw increases comfort and helps reduce fatigue on long jobs. The quick-lock vise means you can rapidly clamp different sizes of material for cutting, and the 45-degree pivot on the fence lets you cut those materials at any angle with ease.
Ergonomic D-Handle When you know the job could be long, hard and unpredictable, this saw will see you through it.
Why we recommend these chop saws?
Expert Reviews Included
User Opinions Analyzed
Our experts reviewed the top 5 Chop Saws and also dug through the reviews from 19 of the most popular review sites including and more. The result is a ranking of the best of the best Chop Saws.
DWYM is your trusted roduct review source. Our team reviews thousands of product reviews from the trusted top experts and combines them into one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
What to Look For
- Consider blade quality when shopping for chop saws. Most chop saws are sold with a blade, but this might not be the one you should use for all of your projects, as it’s just meant to get you started.
- It’s best to look for durable blades that can be used on a wide variety of materials when shopping chop saw accessories. Specialty blades are also available if you have a particular project in mind.
- Keep in mind the likelihood of burrs and other cutting flaws when purchasing a chop saw. Pendulum metal chop saws can provide a cleaner, burr-free cut if you will be doing most of your cutting on certain types of materials.
- If you’re looking for heavy-duty, and also heavy, chop saw power, look for a belt-drive chop saw. This protects the mechanism from overloading.
- When cutting metal, a spark guard or spark deflector can be an essential feature on a chop saw. If this is part of the purpose you’re buying a chop saw for, look for this option.
- You should also wear a dust mask, safety goggles and a sturdy pair of work gloves while working with power tools. Ideally, you should also done long pants, a long-sleeved shirt and steel-toed shoes for your protection.
Chop Saw Rankings
More to Explore
Portable chop saws have greatly impacted the construction industry. Chop saws have replaced acetylene torches in many applications, including the popular chop saw purpose of cutting rebar.
Instead of having to situate and install heavy machinery in a construction site, construction workers can use chop saws to cut through asphalt, concrete and pipe with ease. Chop saws for domestic use are generally smaller and lighter, but they are still versatile and powerful like their construction-oriented cousins.