DEWALT D28730 14-Inch Chop Saw
Last updated date: October 20, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Chop Saws and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Chop Saw you should buy.
Update as October 20, 2020:
Checkout The Best Chop Saw for a detailed review of all the top chop saws.
The ergonomically designed handle on this chop saw increases comfort and helps reduce fatigue on long jobs. The quick-lock vise means you can rapidly clamp different sizes of material for cutting, and the 45-degree pivot on the fence lets you cut those materials at any angle with ease.
In our analysis of 19 expert reviews, the DEWALT D28730 14-Inch Chop Saw placed 4th when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The D28710 14 in. Chop saw is powered by a 15 amp motor for high performance without overheating. Ergonomically designed “D” Handle helps reduce fatigue and increase productivity. Features Quick-Lock vise for fast clamping. 2300W motor provides overload protection. Ergonomically designed handle provides a comfortable hand position. Quick-lock vise allows for fast clamping on different size materials. 45 degrees pivoting fence allows for fast and accurate angle cuts.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Chop Saws
Chop saws are designed to cut through any material in a straight up and down motion. With their durable construction and blades, they can slice metal, wood, ceramics and plastics without hesitation. Ideal for serial tasks, many chop saws feature quick-lock and quick-release vises and clamps to keep the job moving along speedily.
In addition to blade size, which can vary by several inches and impacts cutting power, two other key considerations with chop saws are width and chopping depth. The chop saw’s mechanism can also impact its performance. When the saw blade enters the material, it slows down, the load on the saw increases and the rotations decrease. Unless this is controlled and monitored, the cutting quality can then decrease.
To ensure stable cutting quality, many chop saws have electronic systems for monitoring the constant number of rotations per second. For heavily used chop saws, being able to replace carbon brushes yourself can cut down on trips to the service center and let you continue working with the saw longer.
While a chop saw, unlike a miter saw, only moves straight up and down, chop saws do give the option of cuts angled horizontally across the material. Most allow for cuts at angles up to 45 degrees.
The Chop Saw Buying Guide
- Consider blade quality when shopping for chop saws. Most chop saws are sold with a blade, but this might not be the one you should use for all of your projects, as it’s just meant to get you started.
- It’s best to look for durable blades that can be used on a wide variety of materials when shopping chop saw accessories. Specialty blades are also available if you have a particular project in mind.
- Keep in mind the likelihood of burrs and other cutting flaws when purchasing a chop saw. Pendulum metal chop saws can provide a cleaner, burr-free cut if you will be doing most of your cutting on certain types of materials.
- If you’re looking for heavy-duty, and also heavy, chop saw power, look for a belt-drive chop saw. This protects the mechanism from overloading.
- When cutting metal, a spark guard or spark deflector can be an essential feature on a chop saw. If this is part of the purpose you’re buying a chop saw for, look for this option.
- You should also wear a dust mask, safety goggles and a sturdy pair of work gloves while working with power tools. Ideally, you should also done long pants, a long-sleeved shirt and steel-toed shoes for your protection.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide