DEWALT D28715 Quick-Change 14-Inch Chop Saw
Last updated date: October 20, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Chop Saws and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Chop Saw you should buy.
Update as October 20, 2020:
Checkout The Best Chop Saw for a detailed review of all the top chop saws.
This chop saw features a 15-amp, 4,000 RPM motor with overload protection. The quick, tool-free wheel change design makes changing blades easy, and at 39 pounds, this saw is compact and portable.
In our analysis of 19 expert reviews, the DEWALT D28715 Quick-Change 14-Inch Chop Saw placed 1st when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Quick, accurate crosscuts are easy to execute with the DEWALT 14-Inch Chop Saw featuring Quick-Change keyless wheel changes. The exclusive Quick-Lock Vise lets you secure materials fast, while the powerful 15 amp motor makes quick work of tough cuts. This saw also features convenient wheel changes and a portable, ergonomic design that's easy on your body, so you can work smarter for longer. Powerful, Easy-to-Handle Design for Versatility. Thanks to a 15 amp, 5.5-horsepower motor with overload protection and a no load speed of 4,000 rpm, this saw is powerful enough for tough applications. This DEWALT saw features a 14-inch wheel and can handle rounds that measure 5 inches across or rectangular materials as large as 4-1/2 by 6-1/2 inches. You can expect square, accurate cuts from this DEWALT saw. This chop saw features an ergonomically designed D-shaped handle that allows you to position your hand comfortably, reducing user fatigue and increasing productivity and accuracy. Convenient Features for Accurate Cuts. It's the details that make this DEWALT saw an impressive, versatile addition to your tool collection. The DEWALT Quick-Lock Vise allows you to clamp a wide variety of materials quickly and securely, allowing for faster transitions and increased efficiency. When it comes time to do more than make 90-degree cuts, a 45-degree pivoting fence allows for fast, accurate angle cuts. The saw's steel base allows you to weld jigs or stops directly onto the base for a custom user experience that matches your most common applications. In addition, the saw arm's compression spring provides smoother movement and increased durability compared to arm setups that use torsion springs. An adjustable spark guard allows you to direct sparks away from your work area, protecting both your body and work surfaces. Quick, Tool-Free Wheel Changes and Easy Transport. When it comes time to replace the abrasive wheel, the Quick-Change blade change system allows you to change wheels without a wrench. So you never waste valuable time looking for the right wrench to complete the job. At just 21 inches long and weighing 39 pounds, this chop saw is compact and portable. An integrated top handle makes it easy to carry the saw from your workshop to your vehicle or from your vehicle to the jobsite. For added convenience and safety, a heavy-duty lock-down pin allows the saw head to be locked in the carrying position without the use of a chain. This 14-inch chop saw with Quick-Change comes with a DEWALT warranty package that includes a three-year limited warranty, a one-year free service contract, and a 90-day money-back guarantee. What's in the Box. D28715 DEWALT 14-Inch Chop Saw, 14-inch abrasive wheel, fence wrench, and tool-free flange system.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Chop Saws
Chop saws are designed to cut through any material in a straight up and down motion. With their durable construction and blades, they can slice metal, wood, ceramics and plastics without hesitation. Ideal for serial tasks, many chop saws feature quick-lock and quick-release vises and clamps to keep the job moving along speedily.
In addition to blade size, which can vary by several inches and impacts cutting power, two other key considerations with chop saws are width and chopping depth. The chop saw’s mechanism can also impact its performance. When the saw blade enters the material, it slows down, the load on the saw increases and the rotations decrease. Unless this is controlled and monitored, the cutting quality can then decrease.
To ensure stable cutting quality, many chop saws have electronic systems for monitoring the constant number of rotations per second. For heavily used chop saws, being able to replace carbon brushes yourself can cut down on trips to the service center and let you continue working with the saw longer.
While a chop saw, unlike a miter saw, only moves straight up and down, chop saws do give the option of cuts angled horizontally across the material. Most allow for cuts at angles up to 45 degrees.
The Chop Saw Buying Guide
- Consider blade quality when shopping for chop saws. Most chop saws are sold with a blade, but this might not be the one you should use for all of your projects, as it’s just meant to get you started.
- It’s best to look for durable blades that can be used on a wide variety of materials when shopping chop saw accessories. Specialty blades are also available if you have a particular project in mind.
- Keep in mind the likelihood of burrs and other cutting flaws when purchasing a chop saw. Pendulum metal chop saws can provide a cleaner, burr-free cut if you will be doing most of your cutting on certain types of materials.
- If you’re looking for heavy-duty, and also heavy, chop saw power, look for a belt-drive chop saw. This protects the mechanism from overloading.
- When cutting metal, a spark guard or spark deflector can be an essential feature on a chop saw. If this is part of the purpose you’re buying a chop saw for, look for this option.
- You should also wear a dust mask, safety goggles and a sturdy pair of work gloves while working with power tools. Ideally, you should also done long pants, a long-sleeved shirt and steel-toed shoes for your protection.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide