The Best Adult Bike Helmets
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Wearing a bike helmet is an excellent way to ensure you stay safe on your adventure. While all bike helmets in the U.S. need to meet the same high standards for impact protection, there is still a lot of variety between brands and styles.
When you’re selecting a bike helmet, the most important thing to consider is how it fits. A bike helmet that does fit properly may cause you more pain and injury during a crash. Be sure to find a helmet that fits snugly and is easily adjustable. Measure the circumference of your head to see which size you need for your helmet. When you’re wearing your helmet, be sure to adjust the tightness. You may need to open the adjustment wheel fully when you place the helmet on your head, and then tighten it to fit you.
The chin strap also needs to fit snugly, but not too tightly. You should be able to comfortably open your mouth wide with the chin strap buckled. If it feels too tight, you will need to loosen the strap slightly. Keep in mind that brand sizing for helmets vary, so always measure your head circumference first. If you find that you’re between sizes, then opt for the smaller size, which will give you a better fit.
In addition to how the helmet fits, you’ll want to consider the features the helmet provides. Ventilation is important for some riders because it helps keep you cooler and more comfortable. The number of vents also affects how heavy the helmet will be. Some riders prefer to have a visor on their helmet, helping to keep the sun out of their eyes. If you like to film your adventures, you may want a bike helmet that has mount compatibility for a light or a camera.
Our Picks For The Top Adult Bike Helmets
- 1. Giro Trinity Roc Loc Sport System Classic Bike Helmet For Women
- 2. KINGBIKE Lightweight In-Mold Construction Adult Bike Helmet
- 3. VICTGOAL VG110 Rear Light & Removable Goggles & Visor Bike Helmet
- 4. BELL Thalia True-Fit & Pinch-Guard Reflective Adult Bike Helmet
- 5. Schwinn Lightweight Kids Bike Helmet
- 6. GROTTICO USB Rechargable Backlight & In-Mold Construction Bike Helmet
- 7. ILM Lightweight 10-Oz 360-Degree Adjustment Dial Bike Helmet For Women
- 8. Schwinn Lightweight Adult Bike Helmet
- 9. FROFILE City-Style Leather ABS Shell Bike Helmet
- 10. Zacro Adjustable Adult Bike Helmet
- 11. Thousand Anti-Theft Adult Bike Helmet
- 12. MOKFIRE Moisture-Wicking Adult Bike Helmet
- 13. Basecamp PC Shell & EPS Foam Comfortable Bike Helmet
- 14. Giro Fixture MIPS Universal-Sizing Mountain Bike Helmet
Trinity Roc Loc Sport System Classic Bike Helmet For Women
When getting some exercise with a ride around the neighborhood, make sure you have this bike helmet for women on for protection. It comes in a choice of black and red, black and white or white and gray and fits adults with a head circumference between 54 and 61 centimeters. Perhaps the biggest feature with this model is the 22 built-in air vents th...
Perfect for Daily RidesYou can adjust both the position and tension of this bike helmet for women for a better fit.
Lightweight In-Mold Construction Adult Bike Helmet
This adult bike helmet not only protects your noggin during a fall, but also makes you visible to oncoming traffic using a rear safety light. The light offers three different modes: slow flash, fast flash and always on. A detachable visor and a handy carrying bag are also included with your purchase.
Multiple Color OptionsYou'll find this adult bike helmet comes in a choice of 23 fun colors, including rose red, green and dark blue.
VG110 Rear Light & Removable Goggles & Visor Bike Helmet
An added layer of safety is what you'll enjoy from this bike helmet. In addition to the hard outer shell, this model features a rechargeable back light that makes you more visible when riding at night. Also, with 21 air vents, a pair of magnetic goggles and a detachable visor, you can't go wrong.
Multiple Color OptionsYou'll find this bike helmet comes in a choice of eight colors, including silver, red, blue and yellow.
Thalia True-Fit & Pinch-Guard Reflective Adult Bike Helmet
Designed for street bicycles, this adult bike helmet is best for ladies 14 and up who have a head circumference between 54 and 58 centimeters. It's designed to be adjusted in just one step and features 16 air chambers to keep you cool when you ride. With five different colors to choose from, you can't go wrong.
Most AffordableYou'll love the budget-friendly price tag on this adult bike helmet.
What to Look For
- The fit is the primary factor to consider when selecting your bike helmet. The fit affects not only the level of comfort but the level of safety your helmet provides. Be sure to measure your head circumference when selecting your helmet size, and keep in mind that different brands may have a variance in sizes. Be sure to check for several adjustability features so you can customize the fit of your helmet for your head. The Schwinn Lightweight Bike Helmet has a suggested head circumference of 22.88-24.5 inches. It also has a dial-adjustable fit system plus full-range padding to ensure a customized fit. The Zacro Bike Helmet has an adjustable 54-62 centimeter size, with adjustable straps for comfort and safety.
- The sole purpose of a bike helmet is to protect your head from impact if you fall off your bike. Because of this, it’s important to consider the kind of safety features your helmet has and whether they meet the needs of the kind of rider you are. Most helmets have two separate parts, the plastic shell and the interior liner. The goal of the plastic shell is to provide puncture resistance and protect your head by sliding on impact. The liner’s role is to slow down the movement of your head and dissipate the force of the impact. The Zacro Bike Helmet contains PVC, PC and EPS foam material to reduce the force of the impact if there is a collision.
- Riding your bike will cause you to sweat, so many riders prefer to have a bike helmet with a well-constructed ventilation system. You don’t want to be dripping with sweat during your ride, then ventilation in your helmet can help to keep you cool and comfortable. The Schwinn Lightweight Bike Helmet has 20 top air vents that provide crucial ventilation to help keep you from overheating. The Zacro Bike Helmet has a special aerodynamic design that increases ventilation in the helmet.
- Whether you’re riding your bike around town or taking it off-roading, you may want to consider anti-theft features of your helmet. While it’s convenient in some situations to take your helmet with you after you have locked your bike, you may also want the option to leave your helmet with your bike — and know that it’s going to be there when you get back.
Adult Bike Helmet Rankings
More to Explore
While bike helmets today have a myriad of safety features and impact regulations, this wasn’t always the case. In the 1800s, riders wore helmets made out of pith. It was a plant-based material that was readily available. However, the helmet was not very durable. While it could survive one impact, it needed to be replaced after.
Later on, in the early 20th century, bike helmets evolved to a halo-shaped leather ring with a wool top. The straps and leather were filled with different padding, such as wool or cotton. This kind of helmet was not very durable as the leather often broke down due to sweat. Plus, it did not provide a lot of impact protection for the cyclist.
It wasn’t until the 1970s that helmets started to resemble what we see today. Then, the first helmets with a plastic shell and foam interior were introduced, along with some standardized protection levels for bike helmets. As the decades went on, manufacturers built helmets with a focus on aerodynamic design, using lighter and stronger materials than ever before.