The Best Maternity Sweater
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
During the stage of pregnancy when your body starts changing and your belly starts growing, it feels incredibly exciting. You’re able to actually see the physical changes and understand how your baby is growing inside you. However, it can also bring about some fashion challenges. After all, your growing baby bump is unlikely to fit inside your regular clothes for very long. That’s why it’s a good idea to look into maternity sweaters and other clothes to dress your changing body.
Selecting the right size of clothes can be confusing. In some cases, your pre-pregnancy size will be your maternity size. For example, if you usually buy medium clothes, then you will also need medium maternity sweaters. However, in some cases, you may size larger or smaller than your pre-pregnancy size, depending on the clothing brand. Be sure to take measurements and compare them with the sizing chart.
Also consider which season your belly will be its largest and buy the appropriate maternity clothes. For example, if your due date is in the winter months, this means that you will have a full bump when it’s cold out. This means you will need maternity sweaters and a maternity coat. If your due date is in the summer, you will need maternity t-shirts and tank tops.
Our Picks For The Top Maternity Sweaters
- 1. Smallshow Zipper Closure Fur-Lined Maternity Sweater
- 2. GINKANA Drawstring Hood Maternity Sweater
- 3. Jezero Round Neck Maternity Sweater
- 4. Black Cherry Cowl Neck Maternity Sweater
- 5. HELLO MIZ Knit Long Sleeve Maternity Sweater
- 6. Motherhood Maternity No Closure Maternity Sweater
- 7. My Bump Warm Machine Washable Maternity Sweater
- 8. Motherhood Maternity Pull-On Maternity Sweater
- 9. Motherhood Maternity Classic Acrylic Maternity Sweater
Zipper Closure Fur-Lined Maternity Sweater
if you're looking for a maternity sweater that you can continue to wear after baby is born, this piece is an excellent choice. It features a basic design, yet has hidden cut-outs for quick access when nursing baby. The sweater is also machine washable for ease of care.
Multiple Color OptionsYou'll find this maternity sweater is available in 11 solid colors, including burgundy, emerald green and dusty blue.
Drawstring Hood Maternity Sweater
This maternity sweater is designed to be form-fitting, while still providing room for your growing baby bump. The sweater features a drawstring hood, as well as a kangaroo pouch for warming your hands on a cold day. You can order the sweater in one of 18 colors and patterns, including purple, olive green and dark yellow.
Fashionable ChoiceThis maternity sweater pairs just as well with a pair of jeans as it does with a pair of leggings.
Round Neck Maternity Sweater
You'll find this maternity sweater comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns. It's constructed from a high-quality material that is both comfortable and non-irritating. Since the sweater is designed to resemble a tunic, it looks great whether you're wearing jeans, leggings or a pair of black slacks.
Economical OptionThanks to the affordable price tag on this maternity sweater, you'll be able to get a few sweaters in different colors.
Cowl Neck Maternity Sweater
This maternity sweater is designed to hug and show off your baby bump. It features an attractive button down design, with three of the buttons offering easy access for breastfeeding once the baby is born. The fabric itself is lightweight and comfortable, making it perfect for everyday wear.
Stylish DesignConsider going with this maternity sweater for your baby shower or maternity photo shoot.
What to Look For
- How do you know when is the right time to start wearing maternity clothes? For most women, it’s towards the end of your first trimester or the beginning of your second trimester. If your pre-pregnancy clothes start to feel tight or uncomfortable, then it’s time to bring out the maternity wear.
- When buying maternity clothes, consider whether the clothes can also be worn after pregnancy while you are nursing. This is especially important in maternity sweaters, shirts, tank tops and bras. Check to see whether they have features that enable breastfeeding so you can continue to wear them after the nine months are over.
- Always look for maternity sweaters that have a bit of stretch. Opt for a four-way stretch so that the clothes will grow with you as your body changes. Some of the best maternity sweater styles include ruching. This way, the sweater has a bit of extra stretch so it will not feel tight on your body.
- Make sure that the maternity sweater and other items do not become sheer when stretched. Depending on the fabric, this can be a problem in some maternity wear.
Maternity Sweater Rankings
More to Explore
In addition to maternity sweaters, there are a number of other maternity clothes you’ll want to look into. Many pregnant women prefer wearing leggings or jeans with a maternity belly once their body starts changing. These are soft, comfortable and conform to your changing shape. Also look into layers, like maternity tank tops and t-shirts that you can wear under sweaters. You may feel extra warm while pregnant, so layering helps you keep cool because you can remove layers as needed.