Simple Houseware Meal Prep Storage Container Boxes
Last updated date: November 4, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Meal Prep Containers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Meal Prep Container you should buy.
With three compartments, Simple Houseware Meal Prep Storage Container Boxes make for convenient meal prep containers. The snap closure makes a noise as it locks into place, making it among the easiest to use. You can use it in the freezer and microwave, as well as dropping it into the dishwasher for cleaning. In our analysis of 32 expert reviews, the Simple Houseware Simple Houseware Meal Prep Storage Container Boxes placed 2nd when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note November 4, 2019:
Checkout The Best Meal Prep Container for a detailed review of all the top meal prep containers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
10 Pack SimpleHouseware Reusable Food-Grade Safe Meal Prep Container Storage Bento Box, 3 Compartment, 36 Ounces. Reusable, Stackable. Dishwasher, Freezer, Microwave and Food-Grade Safe. Dimension/ Each with Lid: 8 4/8"L X 7 3/8"W X 2"H.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Meal Prep Containers
If you pay attention on social media, you’ve probably noticed people referring to something called “meal prep.” Meal prep lets you make meals for days at a time, at your own convenience, refrigerating or freezing them until you’re ready to eat them. But before you can get started with meal prepping, you’ll need containers thick enough to keep foods fresh, but lightweight enough to keep them portable.
In addition to the materials in the container itself, the seal between the lid and the container is essential for freshness. This is especially true if you’ll be freezing your meals and thawing them later. Pay close attention to the seal before you make your purchase. This seal will also be essential if you’re taking your containers on the go with you. A leak could mean the contents spill into your laptop bag or backpack, creating a mess and changing your lunch plans.
Meal prep containers come in bundles for a reason. They’re designed for you to make multiple meals at once, then store them in your fridge or freezer. Stackable containers make it easy to store everything together. If you pack multiple containers in your lunch box, stackability will also come in handy. Make sure you choose a group of meal prep containers that fits well together to maximize your convenience.
When you think about how you’ll use your meal prep containers, you probably realize it’s essential that they’re safe to at least store in the refrigerator and use in the microwave. However, being able to freeze your food to keep it fresh longer is useful as well. Some meal prep containers can even be used in the oven, so that’s something to consider if you plan to reheat your food that way.
Portability can also become an issue, particularly if you’re looking for a container that insulates food well. As good as glass and thicker plastics can be at this, consider that this also may make it heavier to take on the go with you, especially if you’re taking more than one container at a time. Heavier containers may work better for those planning to meal prep for home use rather than for transport.
DYWM Fun Fact
Convenience is perhaps the biggest benefit of meal prep. You make your meals when you have plenty of time, such as a worry-free Sunday afternoon, and have them ready during the busy workweek. But there are many lifestyle benefits that come with meal prep, including the fact that you won’t be tempted to dine out while away from home. This can save you significant money over multiple weeks, as well as giving you the option of eating healthy rather than opting to grab a hot dog or cheeseburger on the run. You can also make large meals and portion them out over multiple days, letting you make the most of your time in the kitchen.
The Meal Prep Container Buying Guide
- If you pack multiple foods in one container, compartments are essential. Otherwise, your foods can blend together, effecting the taste experience. Some containers have compartments, while others don’t. The Simple Houseware Meal Prep Storage and Freshware Meal Prep Containers have three compartments each, with one sized for main courses and the other two suitable for sides. With the Prep Naturals Glass Containers, you get two compartments. Fitpacker Meal Prep Containers are best for carrying casseroles and other one-plate dishes, as they only have one compartment.
- Before buying, consider whether you want a disposable meal prep option or if you’d rather have a container you can wash and reuse for years. Fitpacker Meal Prep Containers and Freshware Meal Prep Containers are disposable. You can just toss them in a nearby garbage can. These can be especially useful for temporary use, such as while traveling. However, you may prefer the cost savings and environmental friendliness you get from a reusable container, like Simple Houseware Meal Prep Storage or Prep Naturals Glass Containers.
- For reusable containers, it’s important to look at how easy they are to clean. Simple Houseware Meal Prep Storage and Prep Naturals Glass Containers are dishwasher safe, but only the body of the Prep Naturals Glass Containers is. That means you’ll have to hand-wash the lid. Just because a container is disposable, that doesn’t mean you can’t wash and reuse it until it wears out. Both Fitpacker Meal Prep Containers and Freshware Meal Prep Containers are dishwasher safe.
- Being able to pop your containers into both the freezer and microwave are essential while meal prepping. Fitpacker Meal Prep Containers and Simple Houseware Meal Prep Storage can be used in the freezer and microwave. Freshware Meal Prep Containers take it a step further, allowing you to store them in the freezer and heat them up in the microwave, oven or on an indoor grill. Although Prep Naturals Glass Containers are microwave safe, their lids aren’t, so you’ll need to take those off before you heat your food.
- The secret to meal prep is making sure your food still tastes fresh, even if it’s been in the freezer for days. The secret to that is in the seal. Fitpacker Meal Prep Containers use a patented SureLock seal that locks tightly into place to prevent anything from getting in or out. The Simple Houseware Meal Prep Storage has an audible snap closure that makes it easy to confirm that you’ve closed the container completely. The disposable Freshware Meal Prep Containers have snap-on lids that keep the food inside fresh. With Prep Naturals Glass Containers, the lid doesn’t meet the sides and the snaps are a bit harder to close, making it less foolproof than other options.
- Safety is important to many consumers, especially when freezing and reheating the foods you’re putting in your body. Fitpacker Meal Prep Containers are not only FDA-approved, but they’re also certified BPA-free, as well as free of other toxins. Prep Naturals Glass Containers are made from environmentally-friendly borosilicate glass, and Freshware Meal Prep Containers are designed using high-quality BPA-free material.