Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch
Last updated date: January 11, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best you should buy.
Update as January 11, 2022:
Checkout The Best Bread Knife for a detailed review of all the top .
Durability is what you'll get with this bread knife, which is forged from a high-carbon German stainless steel. It features a santoprene handle for comfort and a reliable grip. The knife's taper-ground edge stays sharp and allows for a precise cut every time.
In our analysis of 100 expert reviews, the Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch placed 3rd when we looked at the top 14 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Mercer Culinary Genesis 8-Inch Forged Bread Knife Amazon.com A supplier to the vast majority of cooking academies, Mercer Cutlery offers the Genesis Collection of kitchen knives to provide professional quality to the home chef. Comfortable, durable, and efficient, Genesis knives feature fully forged, single-piece blades made from high-carbon, no-stain German steel. Their taper-grind edges are polished by hand, and their substantial bolsters provide helpful balance. Black nonslip Santoprene handles make Genesis knives comfortable and secure in the grip, improving efficiency and safety in the kitchen. With its generous blade and sharp serration, this Genesis 8-inch bread knife is efficient yet easy on baguettes, sandwich loaves, and sweet breads. It is also great for slicing up a batch of tomatoes for fresh marinara. A complement to the Genesis chef’s and santoku knives, the piece is made in Taiwan using European components and technology. It should be washed by hand for best results and carries Mercer’s one-year warranty. –Emily Bedard
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Julie Chernoff is a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier (past president of the Chicago Chapter, and current co-chair of the LDEI Legacy Awards Committee), the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Chernoff is the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. Her journalism started in the test kitchens of Weight Watchers Magazine. She holds a BA in English from Yale University and is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has spent the last few decades styling, photographing, teaching, developing recipes, editing, thinking and writing about food.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On
Whether you love baking your own artisanal bread or enjoy a trip to the market to grab a loaf fresh from the bakery, slicing your bread with the wrong knife can ruin your treat. A dull, un-serrated knife can squish your beautiful loaf, leaving a trail of crumbs in its wake. If you want to enjoy fresh bread that has been sliced to perfection, then a bread knife is what you need.
Can you use any sharp knife to slice a loaf of bread? If you want to make sure you don’t flatten the bread while slicing, the answer is no. In order to get the perfect slice of bread, pick your bread knife carefully.
“The long, rectangular-shaped serrated blade of a good bread knife was designed to safely cut through crusty loaves of bread,” says Julie Chernoff, dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. “The longer blade is just right for slicing through big loaves without crushing the bread’s interior.”
The key to a good knife is the serrated edge. The jagged edge of a bread knife makes it perfect for cutting through food that has a harder exterior and a softer exterior, such as bread. Like a miniature saw, the blades of the serrated knife plunge into the hard exterior of the crust. As you push the knife back and forth, it cuts through the crust without damaging the soft interior. The gullets, which are the spaces between the teeth of the knife, reduce any friction between the knife and the food. This ensures that the knife can cut bread without any tearing or ripping.
Not all serrations are the same. Pointed serrations can easily pierce hard crusts. However, you will get more crumbs using this kind of knife. The softer, curved serrations require more pressure but are better for bread with softer exteriors.
In addition to the shape of the serrations, take into account how many there are. The more serrations there are on the knife, the smoother your cut will be. Fewer serrations may mean a more rough cut. However, you need to find a balance. The space between the teeth is what helps the knife move smoothly while cutting. As a result, you need to have a decent-sized gullet in order to more easily slice your bread.
The Buying Guide
- The most important element to review when selecting your bread knife is the blade. Take into account what kind of material it’s made out of, how long it is and what the serrations look like. This will affect how well the bread knife slices your bread. The Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch is 8 inches and is made out of one piece of high-carbon, stainless German steel. The high quality of the blade ensures that it’s easy to maintain and keep razor-sharp. A knife that has geometrically angled serrations is a great choice as it is easy to make slices with a single stroke. There is minimal crumb dispersion with a knife like this, thanks to the smooth cut. Some knives are made of high-carbon, stainless steel.
- The handle of your bread is almost as important as the blade. The handle enables you to have control of your knife, ensuring that you get the slices you want. Look for handles that provide a good grip and ensure your hand doesn’t slip. The Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch has an ergonomic handle, which is made out of Santoprene. This ensures it is both comfortable and durable. Other knives have a handle that is made out of molded resin.
- A sheath for your bread knife ensures that your blade and your fingers are protected while the knife is not in use. Look for a set that comes with a durable sheath, which you can use when the knife is being stored. The Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch does not include sheaths.
- For many home cooks and professional chefs alike, affordability is a determining purchasing factor. If you’re just starting out as a professional or dabbling in making your own bread, you may not want to spend too much on a bread knife. On the other hand, if you’re an experienced cook who understands the beauty of a well-carved knife, you may want to splurge on your new kitchen tool. The Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch is a very affordable option.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide