DALSTRONG Gladiator Series German Steel Bread Knife, 10-Inch
Last updated date: August 4, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Bread Knives and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Bread Knife you should buy.
Editor's Note August 4, 2020:
Checkout The Best Bread Knife for a detailed review of all the top bread knives.
The DALSTRONG Bread Knife has a highly polished edge, allowing the knife to retain it’s sharpness for a long time. It also comes with a protective sheath, and has a stylish pakkawood handle. Keep in mind that the knife may be heavy and difficult to control for some users.
In our analysis of 92 expert reviews, the DALSTRONG DALSTRONG Gladiator Series German Steel Bread Knife, 10-Inch placed 10th when we looked at the top 12 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
dalstrong chef knife professional shogun gladiator phantom shadow black omega high carbon stainless Battle Ready Cutlery. dalstrong, dalstrong chef, dalstrong gladiator series, gladiator chef knife, german, german steel Battle Ready Cutlery The Dalstrong Gladiator Series 10” bread knife has been carefully designed to ensure effortlessly thin slicing with a single stroke, minimal crumb dispersion with breads, and painlessly smooth cutting of large fruits, cabbage, and boneless hams. Tough crusts are no problem as the ultra-sharp serrations ensure the integrity of the loaf or cutting object. The hand-polished knife features premium materials, meticulous construction, and exceptional design, providing the time-saving ‘edge’ you need in the kitchen. Ideal for slicing all types of breads, as well as large fruits (such as cantaloupes, pineapples or watermelon), baguettes, boneless ham and for shredding cabbage. Included: 10” Gladiator Series Bread Knife PerfectFit Dalstrong Sheath Neatly Packed with Dalstrong’s Renowned Packaging Dalstrong Support The Art of Steel. FEATURES AND BENEFITS ✓ Precision forged, ultra sharp, wear resistant, single-piece, high carbon ThyssenKrupp German steel at 56+ Rockwell ✓ Perfectly engineered serrations hand sharpened to 14-16°, maintaining the perfect balance between blade sharpness and maximum resilience ✓ Tall blade height gives knuckle clearance to assist with food preparation and chopping activity ✓ Beautiful hand polished satin finish blade ✓ Tapered design for hardness and flexibility ✓ Added chromium for stain resistance ✓ Precisely tempered for added durability ✓Polished spine to facilitate a comfortable pinch grip ✓ Full tang for incredible robustness & quality ✓ Premium quality laminated pakkawood handles imported from Spain, for superior strength, refinement, and beauty. Sanitary build perfect for busy kitchens ✓ Triple riveted for even more durability ✓ Mirror polished, finger protective bolster provides for a perfectly engineered balance with just the right heft ✓ Ergonomic handle shape for maximum comfort, grip and maneuverability ✓ Stainless steel second bolster (end cap) adds counter balance and distinction ✓ Engraved Dalstrong center rivet ✓ Cleans easily for low maintenance ✓ Includes a BPA protective Dalstrong PerfectFit sheath Knives To Build A Career On. A Community Of Chefs To Belong To. Over Seventy-Five Thousand Chefs Have Switched to Dalstrong From executive chefs to home chefs and everyone in between, Dalstrong Chefs are treated like family. Over seventy-five thousand chefs have switched to Dalstrong for our superior quality, unconditional support, and loyal community. It may be cliche, but we truly care about you and the blades and products we painstakingly design and develop. From the tinest packaging detail, to hundreds of hours of design and testing, each knife is a work of love, dedication and expert craftsmanship. We proudly believe we are the fastest growing knife company for a reason. Dalstrong supports you, our chefs, everyday and in every way we can. Your Dalstrong knives work alongside you, day in and day out, making you more effective, creative, and precise in the kitchen; delivering plates you can feel proud to present. These are knives to build a career on, and tens of thousands of professional chefs have done just that. From cooking competitions (Dalstrong supports chefs across the country building their reputation), to charitable events (we donate knives to those in need with culinary aspirations), Dalstrong loves the community, loves chefs, and the men and women who prepare food for us all each and everyday. From the heat of the professional kitchen to a simple meal for one, Dalstrong stands beside you every step of the way. #dalstrong Dalstrong Is Out To Turn An Old Industry On Its Head We love cooking. We love design and craftsmanship. Most of all though, we love bringing a feeling of pure satisfaction to chefs around the world who use our tools day in and day out. Whether you’re a hobbyist or pro, our aim is to enhance the experience of your culinary creation. Dalstrong is the new guy on the block. From a foundation of love and respect for an ancient craft, we layer on modern thinking and methods to create beautiful and innovative knives at far greater value than traditional brands. Don’t just take our word for it; look what others are saying, across the web, social media and in professional kitchens around the country. Our goal is to stir up a stodgy old industry with tools chefs love and trust, at amazing value points and with innovative design and improvements. And as a company, we’re out to build life-long relationships with exceptional products and exceptional attention to your individual needs as a chef and customer. Come cook with us. Like you, we strive for greatness every day.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
Our Expert Consultant
Julie Chernoff is a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier (past president of the Chicago Chapter, and current co-chair of the LDEI Legacy Awards Committee), the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Chernoff is the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. Her journalism started in the test kitchens of Weight Watchers Magazine. She holds a BA in English from Yale University and is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has spent the last few decades styling, photographing, teaching, developing recipes, editing, thinking and writing about food.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Bread Knives
Whether you love baking your own artisanal bread or enjoy a trip to the market to grab a loaf fresh from the bakery, slicing your bread with the wrong knife can ruin your treat. A dull, un-serrated knife can squish your beautiful loaf, leaving a trail of crumbs in its wake. If you want to enjoy fresh bread that has been sliced to perfection, then a bread knife is what you need.
Can you use any sharp knife to slice a loaf of bread? If you want to make sure you don’t flatten the bread while slicing, the answer is no. In order to get the perfect slice of bread, pick your bread knife carefully.
“The long, rectangular-shaped serrated blade of a good bread knife was designed to safely cut through crusty loaves of bread,” says Julie Chernoff, dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. “The longer blade is just right for slicing through big loaves without crushing the bread’s interior.”
The key to a good knife is the serrated edge. The jagged edge of a bread knife makes it perfect for cutting through food that has a harder exterior and a softer exterior, such as bread. Like a miniature saw, the blades of the serrated knife plunge into the hard exterior of the crust. As you push the knife back and forth, it cuts through the crust without damaging the soft interior. The gullets, which are the spaces between the teeth of the knife, reduce any friction between the knife and the food. This ensures that the knife can cut bread without any tearing or ripping.
Not all serrations are the same. Pointed serrations can easily pierce hard crusts. However, you will get more crumbs using this kind of knife. The softer, curved serrations require more pressure but are better for bread with softer exteriors.
In addition to the shape of the serrations, take into account how many there are. The more serrations there are on the knife, the smoother your cut will be. Fewer serrations may mean a more rough cut. However, you need to find a balance. The space between the teeth is what helps the knife move smoothly while cutting. As a result, you need to have a decent-sized gullet in order to more easily slice your bread.
The Bread Knife Buying Guide
- The most important element to review when selecting your bread knife is the blade. Take into account what kind of material it’s made out of, how long it is and what the serrations look like. This will affect how well the bread knife slices your bread. The Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch is 8 inches and is made out of one piece of high-carbon, stainless German steel. The high quality of the blade ensures that it’s easy to maintain and keep razor-sharp. The Zelite Infinity Comfort-Pro Bread Knife, 10-Inch is made out of imported high-carbon German steel. The 10-inch knife has geometrically angled serrations, which make it easy to make slices with a single stroke. There is minimal crumb dispersion with this knife, thanks to the smooth cut. The Pure Komachi 2 Series Bread Knife, 8-Inch is 8 inches of high-carbon, stainless steel. The knife has a unique serrated edge that grips and cuts the bread without any tearing. The Orblue Serrated Bread Knife is eight inches and made out of stainless steel. With its ultra-sharp serrated edge, it has a strong grip and can cut bread effortlessly.
- The handle of your bread is almost as important as the blade. The handle enables you to have control of your knife, ensuring that you get the slices you want. Look for handles that provide a good grip and ensure your hand doesn’t slip. The Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch has an ergonomic handle, which is made out of Santoprene. This ensures it is both comfortable and durable. The Pure Komachi 2 Series Bread Knife, 8-Inch has a handle that is made out of a molded resin, with an ergonomic design.
- A sheath for your bread knife ensures that your blade and your fingers are protected while the knife is not in use. The Pure Komachi 2 Series Bread Knife, 8-Inch comes with a durable sheath, which you can use when the knife is being stored. The Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch and the Orblue Serrated Bread Knife do not include sheaths.
- For many home cooks and professional chefs alike, affordability is a determining purchasing factor. If you’re just starting out as a professional or dabbling in making your own bread, you may not want to spend too much on a bread knife. On the other hand, if you’re an experienced cook who understands the beauty of a well-carved knife, you may want to splurge on your new kitchen tool. The Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Bread Knife, 8-Inch and the Orblue Serrated Bread Knife are both very affordable options. The Zelite Infinity Comfort-Pro Bread Knife, 10-Inch is more mid-range but still attainable.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide