AUVON Digital TENS Unit Electrical Nerve Stimulator
Last updated date: December 19, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Tens Units and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Tens Unit you should buy.
If you have joint pain, the AUVON Digital TENS Unit is ideal, as its smaller pads make it great for using on knees, elbows and other joints. You'll get highly reusable pads that will stay in place through 20 to 30 uses. The timer can be set for 15, 30 or 60 minute runtimes, or you can choose continuous running time. In our analysis of 55 expert reviews, the AUVON AUVON Digital TENS Unit placed 4th when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note March 18, 2020:
Checkout The Best Tens Unit for a detailed review of all the top tens units.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
AUVON Live Smart, Live Healthy AUVON TENS Unit The TENS machine is safe, non-invasive, drug-free method of pain relief and pain management. Many people have even used it for intense pain from a sports injury, knee injury, foot, hip, arthritis or tennis elbow. Get rid of Further Pain from Installment Compared to the button-style electrodes and lead wires, 2mm pin plug electrodes patches and lead wires are easier to be connected or detached without any further pain from installment even when the electrodes pads are on your body. Please attention: At the end of the leads supplied with your unit, you will find red and black adapters. These are Cathode(black) and Anode(red) respectively. For better pain relief we strongly recommend exchanging the position where you put the Cathode and the Anode after a period time of use.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Tens Units
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) uses a battery-powered device to deliver quick electrical impulses to your nerves, muscles or joints. You’ll get pads that stick to the body, which connect to electrodes that connect to a small device. Often this device has a screen, along with buttons or knobs, and the screen allows you to scroll through multiple settings to get the exact type of treatment you need.
A TENS device can sometimes be confused with an electronic muscle stimulator (EMS), which is designed to deliver relief to muscles. Before you pick out a TENS device, determine the specific type of pain you need to relieve. If you have nerve issues, there are TENS devices that focus on that, while still others are better for taking care of joint pain.
Ideally, you’ll check with a medical professional before beginning treatment using a TENS device. This is the case with anything you do that can directly impact your health. If your doctor currently has you under supervision, you should steer clear of TENS devices unless you’ve cleared it first. Although TENS devices are now widely available over the counter, a physician can guide you toward the best model for your unique needs.
There are a variety of conditions TENS devices are reported to help with, and the benefits are usually specific to relieving pain. Consumers use TENS devices for issues like arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, back and shoulder injuries and tennis elbow, among many others. Joint pain affecting areas like the knee, arm and wrist can also be helped by TENS devices, although you’ll need to look for one that has pads that will easily stick to those areas.
The best TENS devices give you multiple mode options. These generally represent preprogrammed massage types, with some adjusting based on the body part you’re treating. Although it can be tempting to choose the device that has the most options, with some units, you’ll find that one mode doesn’t differ all that much from another. The manufacturer just varied it slightly to make it seem as though you were getting more options than you actually were.
Another adjustable setting on TENS devices is the strength behind the treatment you’re getting. If you need intense pain relief, you may be in the mood to put it on its highest setting. But primarily this adjustability comes in handy because intensity preferences can vary dramatically from one person to another.
DYWM Fun Fact
TENS devices are thought to relieve pain through the stimulation of endorphins, which then communicate with nerve receptors in your brain. That interaction reduces your overall perception of the pain you’re feeling, so the cause of the pain is still there. You simply aren’t aware of it. Opiates, commonly prescribed to pain patients, have a similar effect, but they can be highly addictive. TENS devices are a safe way to decrease your pain, but they can also increase your appetite, boost your sex drive and reduce your negative response to stressors. The feeling is similar to what you might get after a brisk run, also known as “runner’s high.”
The Tens Unit Buying Guide
- The first thing to look at when shopping for a TENS device is how many electrodes it provides. A device with eight electrodes will be able to hit more areas than one that only has four. If you’re treating a large area like your entire lower back, consider that it will take multiple electrodes to cover the space and buy accordingly.
- Also study the various settings offered. Go beyond looking at the sheer number of massage modes and focus on the options. You’ll find some devices have options like kneading, cupping, deep massage and acupuncture, for instance, and some will even let you go into a mode that combines multiple massage types to keep things interesting.
- Different TENS devices are better for specific body parts. If you’re suffering from back pain, you’ll probably opt for a different massager than one that helps with tennis elbow. Look around and make sure you find the one that’s best for your specific type of pain.
- The electrodes attach to your body using sticky pads, and those pads will eventually have to be replaced. Consider how many pads come in the package with your purchase and also research how easy it is to order replacement pads when those wear out. Some TENS devices use pads that can stick for only a time or two before you need to toss them, while others have pads that you can use for weeks or even months.
- Pad size is also a consideration. Some TENS devices give you the option of small, medium or large pads, and those devices are more versatile. If you plan to only use your device in one spot, this may never be an issue, but there might be a day when you need pain relief in a different area and having a one-size pad will become an inconvenience.
- Your TENS device comes with a screen, and that screen plays a very important role in your user experience. Look for a screen that’s easy to read and also backlit, if you feel you’ll be looking at it in dim lighting. You’ll also have buttons or dials to walk you through the options. Check that those are easy to manipulate.
- When you think of portability in a device, usually you’re just thinking about how easy it will be to tuck into a bag. But portability in a TENS device can come in handy in a variety of ways. In addition to being able to comfortably clip it to your clothing to wear around the house, you can also tuck a smaller device into a pocket and use it while you’re at work, sitting in a business meeting or enjoying dinner in a restaurant with your family.