The Best Solar Outdoor Lights
We looked at the top 19 Solar Outdoor Lights and dug through the reviews from 20 of the most popular review sites including and more. The result is a ranking of the best Solar Outdoor Lights.
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Outdoor lighting can do a lot for a house. Accent lights along the path to the front door can provide a subtle and safe welcome home, and the right string lights can turn any patio into a party. They can even be a literal lifesaver when used for home security.
But that comfort isn’t always free. We’ve all had a groan at our power bill the month after those outdoor holiday lights come down. Imagine that all year round, and you can see why outdoor lighting is considered a luxury — unless, of course, you get a good set of solar-powered lights.
If you don’t know anything about solar power, outdoor lights are a good place to start. This kind of lighting solution might cost a bit more upfront, but you’ll continue to save over the years. A good set will soak up the sun during the day, then use that energy to light up your exterior, without an extra penny on your own electricity bill.
Most solar light kits consist of the lights themselves and a photovoltaic panel. This PV panel should be placed and angled in such a way that it absorbs the maximum amount of sunlight, which is what will power the lights. If you live in a sunny part of the country, you can expect a full night’s worth of power (and then some) out of the power that PV panel generates during the day. If you’re in cloudy or rainy climates, you’ll want to invest in bigger or more advanced PV panels, though even the cloudiest days should produce a few hours of light with most modern solar rigs. A large nickel-cadmium battery can also mitigate some of this with its ability to store more power for a longer period of time.
The next thing to consider is what kind of lighting you’ll need outdoors. If you’re looking for walkway lighting, there’s not much need to worry about power. All you usually need is a dim glow in the first few hours of the night, and most any rig can handle that. Some walkway lights will even have the PV panel built right into the light itself, making installation a breeze. On the other hand, you want to make sure that the lights are durable and waterproof, since they will usually be placed low to the ground. One great feature that most walkway lights have is a timer that makes sure they only light up when the sun goes down, or a motion sensor that turns them on as needed.
Patio lighting will need to be a bit more powerful, and these kinds of lights usually come with a bigger PV panel to accommodate that. When in doubt, get a few more than you need.
Security lighting will need to be bright, first and foremost. You want something that a potential intruder won’t be able to ignore, so look for something that puts out at least 700 lumens, or 300 apiece if you’re using multiple lights. This usually won’t be sustained, all-night power, so most solar kits will be up to the task even if the weather hasn’t been cooperative.
No matter what you get, rest assured in knowing that you’re saving money in the long run. And thanks to the power you conserve, you’re helping the planet as well.
Our Picks For The Top Solar Outdoor Lights
- 1. Aootek Waterproof LED Security Solar Lights, 4-Pack
- 2. Brighteck Ambience Pro Unbreakable Solar Lights
- 3. Brightown Adjustable Flexible Solar Lights, 2-Pack
- 4. SUNNEST Weatherproof Home Solar Lights, 12-Pack
- 5. FALOVE Garden Outdoor Dusk-To-Dawn Solar Gutter LED Lights, 6-Pack
- 6. iSunMoon Rain Resistant Outdoor Dusk-To-Dawn Solar Gutter Lights, 6-Pack
- 7. Melunar Solar Step Deck Lights, 6-Pack
- 8. TBI Pro Outdoor LED Solar Motion Sensor Lights, 2-Pack
- 9. SMY Lighting Long-Lasting Outdoor Dusk-To-Dawn Solar Gutter Lights, 6-Pack
- 10. DBF Automatic Outdoor Dusk-To-Dawn Solar Gutter Lights, 6-Pack
- 11. JSOT Waterproof Solar Powered Deck Lights, 12-Pack
- 12. KYEKIO Automatic On/Off Torch Solar Lights, 8-Pack
- 13. ROSHWEY Clip-On Outdoor Dusk-To-Dawn Solar Gutter Lights, 6-Pack
- 14. InnoGear DIY Outdoor Dusk-To-Dawn Solar Gutter Lights, 24-Pack
- 15. Davinci Flexfit Solar Post Cap Deck Lights, 2-Pack
- 16. GIGALUMI High Lumen Anti-Rust Solar Lights, 6-Pack
- 17. ROSHWEY Automatic Outdoor Dusk-To-Dawn Solar Gutter Lights, 18-Pack
- 18. Phereu Outdoor Solar Deck & Step Lights, 16-Pack
- 19. URPOWER Rechargeable Solar Lights, 8-Pack
Waterproof LED Security Solar Lights, 4-Pack
On the highest brightness mode, these solar lights are capable of lighting up any driveway. The motion sensor is sensitive enough to detect everything from a passerby to oncoming vehicles. The solar batteries allow them to stay charged up even on cloudy days.
Bright and SensitiveThese long lasting bulbs are bright enough for any size yard.
Ambience Pro Unbreakable Solar Lights
The shape of these bulbs make them perfect for setting up a cafe atmosphere outdoors. The solar lights are as sturdy as they look and can stand up to multiple nights of rain. The auto shutoff option gives added convenience.
Durable and StylishUse these Edison bulbs for a cafe vibe.
Adjustable Flexible Solar Lights, 2-Pack
These string solar lights are economical and ideal for festive occasions. They are easy to install and can be placed in a variety of configurations. There are eight separate modes to match any decor.
Warm and Cozy LightingWinter gets brighter with these easy-to-install string lights.
Why we recommend these solar outdoor lights?
Expert Reviews Included
User Opinions Analyzed
Our experts reviewed the top 19 Solar Outdoor Lights and also dug through the reviews from 20 of the most popular review sites including and more. The result is a ranking of the best of the best Solar Outdoor Lights.
DWYM is your trusted roduct review source. Our team reviews thousands of product reviews from the trusted top experts and combines them into one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
What to Look For
Because you won’t need to hook up your solar lights to your home electrical system, maintenance is relatively easy. Still, there are a few things you should check periodically to make sure your lights are operating at their full capacity.
- First and foremost, check your PV panel for dirt and grime every once in a while. If your lights aren’t getting power, the panel might be obstructed with pollen, leaves or other debris. A quick wipe can make a world of difference.
- Next, check your battery about once a year. While the sun can provide unlimited power, that doesn’t mean your battery can hold it forever. If it runs down, it can typically be recharged or a replacement can be ordered from the manufacturer.
Solar Outdoor Light Rankings
More to Explore
Solar energy isn’t just easy to install on your driveway. It scales up just as well when it comes to large energy demands, like those of Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. Tesla was able to set up a solar storage facility capable of powering facilities like the beleaguered Hospital del Nino, and it was able to do it in just a few weeks. That’s a fraction of the time it would take to set up a traditional power station.