The Best Oil Diffusers
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Essential oils have become a hot commodity over the last few years. Whether you’re using them for aromatherapy or you just want your living room or office to smell great, you’ll need an oil diffuser to release beautiful scents into your environment.
There are a few different types of diffusers, but ultrasonic diffusers are the most common variety that you’ll find online for personal use. (All four of our top diffuser choices are ultrasonic diffusers). They plug into your wall, but they don’t use heat the same way that other diffusers do.
Instead, they use ultrasonic vibrations to push your oils to the top of the water, and then they vaporize the water and oils. The vapor releases your essential oils into the air, and it also acts as a mild humidifier. Your essential oils will last longer in ultrasonic diffusers because they’re being mixed with water.
The amount of water your diffuser holds determines how long it can continuously run. The ZAQ Dew Essential Oil Diffuser holds 30 milliliters of water and can run for up to four hours on one fill. The ASAKUKI Premium Essential Oil Diffuser has a 500-milliliter capacity, and it can run for up to 16 hours.
Many diffusers also come with soothing LED lights that change color as they run. URPOWER’s diffuser has seven different colors to choose from, while the ZAQ Dew rotates between five fun hues.
You’ll need to plug your ultrasonic diffuser into the wall to turn it on. Since oil diffusers are connected to an outlet, they have different timer options for safer use. The VicTsing Cool Mist Essential Oil Diffuser has four time-setting modes (one hour, three hours, six hours and continuous). The URPOWER diffuser has timer options for 60 minutes, 180 minutes, 360 minutes or continuous use.
Our Picks For The Top Oil Diffusers
- 1. ASAKUKI Silent Tabletop Essential Oil Diffuser, 300-Milliter
- 2. Pure Daily Care 10 Theraputic Grade Essential Oils With 400-ML Diffuser Set
- 3. URPOWER 2nd Gen Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
- 4. ASAKUKI Aromatherapy Misting Essential Oil Diffuser, 400-Milliliter
- 5. InnoGear 6 Essential Oils With 150-ML Cool Mist Diffuser Set
- 6. ASAKUKI 6 Natural Essential Oils With 500-ML Auto Shut-Off Diffuser Set
- 7. ASAKUKI Wooden Essential Oil Diffuser, 700-Milliter
- 8. ENAVA ORGANICS 8 Essential Oils With 350-ML Diffuser Set
- 9. ASAKUKI Decorative Metal Essential Oil Diffuser, 500-Milliter
- 10. ASAKUKI Home & Office Essential Oil Diffuser, 500-Milliter
- 11. NOW Solutions Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser
- 12. URPOWER Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
Silent Tabletop Essential Oil Diffuser, 300-Milliter
With this Asakuki essential oil diffuser, you'll be able to change the color of the light to match your mood. The diffuser provides mist for up to 10 hours and can be set to a timer for an automatic shut-off. It runs quietly, so as not to wake any sleeping babies.
Choice of ColorsYou'll find this Asakuki essential oil diffuser comes in a choice of colors, such as light brown, dark brown, white and gray.
Pure Daily Care
10 Theraputic Grade Essential Oils With 400-ML Diffuser Set
You’ll get 10 different essential oils in this set, as well as a 400-milliliter diffuser. The wood-printed diffuser has seven ambient light modes and two different intensities to give you a choice of 14 light combinations. You’ll get four different timer settings and auto-shutoff, too.
Everything You NeedThis diffuser set has everything you need to get started, including 10 oils.
2nd Gen Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
Our Best Value diffuser is one of the most inexpensive options on the market, but that doesn't mean you should expect poor performance. It produces a strong stream of mist that makes the most out of your oils. The long timer settings (60, 180 or 360 minutes) is also a selling point.
Best Bang for the BuckYou barely know it's there as it takes up such a small space and is very quiet.
Aromatherapy Misting Essential Oil Diffuser, 400-Milliliter
The safety auto switch on this Asakuki essential oil diffuser keeps it from overheating. It's an excellent aromatherapy tool and it even comes with a handy remote control. Users can choose between seven LED lights and then fill the diffuser with water and a fragrant essential oil. Turn the device on and watch as it quickly starts misting.
Ideal for Gift GivingThe attractive geometric designs on this Asakuki essential oil diffuser make it an excellent Christmas, housewarming or birthday gift.
What to Look For
- You’ll want to determine the square footage of whatever room you want to have your diffuser in before you buy. Smaller rooms (up to 200 square feet), can get away with smaller diffusers, like the URPOWER Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser. Larger rooms (up to 300 square feet) need a diffuser with a little more oomph, like the ZAQ Dew Essential Oil Diffuser.
- Safety is key when you’re plugging a diffuser that uses water into an electrical outlet. All four of our top picks have an auto-shutoff feature for safety. When the diffuser has used up all of the water, it turns off to protect you and your home.
- What type of color designs do you prefer? Many diffusers, like the VicTsing Oil Diffuser, have bands of LED lights that brighten up the center of the diffuser. Other units, like the URPOWER Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser, light up the entire diffuser with an array of beautiful colors.
- If you have children or pets, you’ll want to place the diffuser on a surface that’s high off the ground. That will prevent your child or pet from knocking over the diffuser and getting water and oil everywhere. You’ll also want to make sure that the cord is tucked away behind your dresser or table and that the power outlet isn’t accessible to tiny hands.
- If you need some extra humidity in your room, diffusers can add small amounts of moisture to the air for greater comfort during dry winter months. The VicTsing Oil Diffuser doubles as a cool mist humidifier for your bedroom or office, and our other top picks also provide gentle humidity to any room.
- How much space do you have for your diffuser? Our top picks range from six and a half inches wide (on the ASAKUKI Premium Essential Oil Diffuser) to about seven inches wide (on the ZAQ Dew Essential Oil Diffuser), so they’ll easily fit on most desktops or tables.
- Make sure you clean your diffuser regularly for optimal performance. You should rinse out your diffuser with water after each use, then give it a deep clean once a month. For the deep clean, just fill your diffuser halfway full with clean water, add ten drops of pure white vinegar and run your diffuser for five to 10 minutes. The white vinegar loosens any oils that might be stuck to the bottom of the diffuser. When you’re finished with the white vinegar rinse, pour it out and use a cotton swab or a soft cloth to wipe away any residue. Rinse once more with clean water, then enjoy your diffuser for another month.