If you have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and experience on the road, you’re in luck. The most recent report released by the American Trucking Associations shows that the trucking industry needs more than 60,000 additional truck drivers to meet the country’s demands for freight services.
Walmart is one of the companies in need of drivers to haul freight from vendors and distribution centers and to more than 5,000 Walmart and Sam’s Club stores across the U.S.
According to a report by Yahoo! Finance, Walmart plans to hire 500 truck drivers in 2020 due to increasing online sales.
Pay and Perks
Walmart leads the trucking industry in pay, with an average first-year salary of $87,500. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers was $43,680 in May 2018, which is the most recent report.
In addition to a generous wage, Walmart truck drivers receive the following benefits from day one:
- PTO (up to 21 days in the first year)
- 401K, medical and dental
- Company-paid life insurance and short-term disability
- Up to four paid safety days a year
- Activity, training and mileage pay
- Quarterly safe driving bonuses
- $42 for required DOT 10 hour break
In addition, drivers enjoy weekly home time with no split days off; new tractors with condo-style sleepers that are eligible for replacement at 525,000 miles (local drivers use day cabs); and terminals fully staffed with on-site maintenance.
Offering excellent pay and benefits means Walmart can be particular when hiring CDL drivers. If you’re interested in applying, make sure you meet the following criteria.
- Hold a Class A Commercial Driver’s License with Hazmat endorsement.
- Have at least 30 months of full-time experience driving a tractor/trailer in the last three years.
- Have no more than two moving violations, no serious traffic violations and no preventable accidents in the last three years.
- Have no DUI, DWI, OUI or reckless driving involving alcohol/drug convictions within the last 10 years.
To find out if there’s an open position in your area or to apply, visit the Walmart Careers page.
Other Companies Hiring Drivers
Whether you’re a veteran commercial driver or just starting out with a CDL, hundreds of companies are hiring across the United States. Trying to find the best jobs might feel like finding a needle in a haystack, but one reliable place to start looking is the annual list of Best Fleets to Drive For, released by the Truckload Carriers Association (TCA).
The 2020 list of top carriers includes the following, all of which are currently hiring drivers.
- Prime, Inc., which offers a minimum of $.45 per mile to start along with benefits, paid vacation, guaranteed home time and rider and pet policies.
- American Central Transport, offering medical benefits, holiday and vacation pay, 401(k) retirement plan and free rider authorization.
- FTC Transportation, whose drivers took home more than $74,000 on average in 2019. Benefits include insurance, company-matched 401(k), bonuses and a rider policy.
If you have your CDL, start applying!