Last updated date: August 21, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Backpacks and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Backpack you should buy.
Update as January 4, 2022:
Checkout The Best Backpack for a detailed review of all the top backpacks.
In our analysis of 111 expert reviews, the Vancropak Backpack placed 11th when we looked at the top 13 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Vancropak is a brand for the active and casual. With the motto to bring better life with your favourite backpack. We are committed to providing our customer with fashion and high quality products, which perfect for school, business, trips, hiking, camping, office work and everyday using. Comes with external usb port & built-in charging cable, which is convenient for you to charge your electronic device anywhere. Please noted that usb charging port only offers an easy access to charge. Includes lots of pockets, provides enough space for your items.Besides, you can hanging the sunglasses on the right shoulder strap. Makes it easy to organize at the same time. A nice backpack for different ages in daily life, ideal gift choice for your family and friends. Large compartment and pockets can contain notebooks, pens, sunglasses, water bottle, calculator, cosmetics, headphones, cell phone, laptop, clips and all your accessories and nicknacks. Suitable for daily use, such as business traveling, working, camping hiking, college school, weekend getaways, shopping and other outdoor activities. Large capacity provides roomy space for your daily supplies, such as, books, stationery, overcoat, under 15.6inch laptop and so on. Reasonable pockets makes everything easy to organize, it has separate space for you pens,cards,laptop, etc. A good choice for school,student, travel and outdoor sports. Fashionable Backpack. Simple style design combines with classical color, this school/student/travel backpack can be never out of style. Vancropak has six color backpacks for your choice, including gray, black, green, pink, azure and cyan backpack. Different color for different occasion. Backpack with USB Charging Port. This backpack with USB charging port. It is convenient for your phone’s charging. Besides, an earphone hole on the top of backpack also provides more convenience to you when you are cycling, hiking or doing other outdoor sports. Durable&Comfortable Backpack. Vancropak insists in quality material and fine workmanship. We are committed to high-quality backpack for every customer. S-design wide and thick shoulder straps reduce pressure for your shoulders. The kind of design is good for your body and your health. It is a nice gift for your child or friend.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Parenting Pro and Safe-Sleep Expert
Kate Desmond is a writer and infant safe-sleep expert. She has spent the last eight years working as the marketing director for Charlie’s Kids Foundation, a nonprofit that aims to educate families about SIDS and safe sleep. In that role, she travels around the country learning and educating caregivers and providers on the latest and greatest safe-sleep information to prevent infant death.
As mom to two elementary-aged daughters, she spends hours researching the best and safest products for her own kids. She is quick to get in the weeds with other mamas, and uses humor to cope with parenting woes from potty-training to teaching kids to read. She writes about the ups and downs of parenting on her blog.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Backpacks
While bookbag, knapsack, rucksack and haversack are all names for a bag that can be carried on your back, backpack is the most commonly used term. These handy tools provide campers and hikers with a convenient way to carry their gear and schoolgoers a way to transport all of their books and school supplies. Parents also look to backpacks for easier lugging of all the gear needed for raising a child, from diapers to breast pumps.
If you are in the market for a backpack, there are a few things you’ll want to consider before choosing the one that best meets your needs.
“A good pack has the right number of compartments,” Kate Desmond, our in-house parenting expert and working mom of two, says. “Too many and things can get lost, too few and things can become unorganized.”
Look over the size and number of compartments within the pack. Do you need to fit a laptop, cell phone, multiple textbooks or an extra set of clothes? Perhaps you’d also like a side pocket for a water bottle or a front pouch to hold your pens and pencils.
“Make sure you have a place to store your phone and wallet and make sure that place is easily accessible,” Desmond advises. “Another feature that earns bonus points with me is the full zipper section for laptops, making TSA a breeze. A zipper compartment for tiny, important things and a side water bottle or sippy cup holder are also absolute musts.”
Check the bookbag’s shoulder straps to make sure they are both padded and adjustable. You don’t want the bag to be loose or the items within it will shift as you walk. You also don’t want it to be so snug that you can’t get it on and off.
“Make sure the backpack you choose is nicely padded in all the right places,” Desmond says, adding that “too-thin straps can leave a mark on aching shoulders.”
Review the material. If you plan to be out and about in harsh weather conditions, a weather-resistant 1200D ballistic polyester is a good choice. A 600D nylon fabric works fine for everyday use, as it is splash-resistant (although not completely waterproof) and not easily scratched or torn.
Locate the bookbag’s dimensions. This will give you a better idea as to what size laptop will fit in the pack. Some bags can only handle smaller laptops, while others are able to accommodate laptops up to 17 inches. And don’t forget to pay attention to weight.
“If a backpack is too heavy without anything in it, imagine the weight when it is full!” Desmond says.
Check for any safety features. This is especially important if you do a great deal of traveling with your trusty pack. If the bag has a lockable zipper, review the product tag to see if the lock comes with the bag, or whether you are required to purchase it separately. It’s also important that the bag has an anti-puncture feature so that a knife or pair of scissors can’t be used to open the pack.
Search for any extras that make the pack more desirable. For example, if you visit the library often and need to charge your devices, you’ll want a bag with a USB charger and built-in charging cable.
Finally, choose a backpack that fits your sense of style. If you have an old soul, choose a vintage pattern. If you have a bubbly personality, you may be more suited to a multi-colored bag. There are plenty of colors and styles to choose from, so you’re sure to find something that matches your charm.
The Backpack Buying Guide
- Some backpack models come with the option of a three or four-year protection plan. If you prefer to stick with one pack for the long haul and aren’t prone to upgrading yearly, this may be something you want to consider purchasing.
- The American Chiropractic Association reports that 60% of children who carry a heavy backpack end up with back pain. As a result, the organization recommends that kids stick to wearing backpacks that contain no more than 5 to 10% of their body weight.
- Carrying weighty backpacks isn’t just dangerous for children. Adults can suffer injuries as well. Researchers at Tel Aviv University found muscle and nerve damage are also possible, so it is especially important to monitor how much you’re carrying in your bookbag at any given time.
- Always check the product label to see if the backpack is machine washable. Many are not and you don’t want to risk ruining the fabric and durability of the bag.
- If the pack isn’t machine washable, you’ll need to clean it carefully by hand. Use a soft-bristled brush to dislodge any dirt or mud that may be dried on the bag. Toothbrushes work great for cleaning the zippers and hard-to-reach areas. Should there be loose sand and dirt, you can quickly clean that with the attachment on your vacuum. Next, wet a sponge with lukewarm water (use mild dish soap if needed) and wipe down the surface of the bag. Move on to the zipper and inner compartments before finishing with the shoulder pads and straps. You may need to carefully scrub any spots that have stains. Hang dry the bookbag in a location that does not receive sunlight. Sunlight can cause the color of your pack to fade.
- Backpacks have plenty of alternative uses. In addition to travel and commutes to school, you can use a bookbag as a purse or diaper bag for your baby. They also work well to carry your beach supplies or picnic lunch at the park. You can even keep emergency supplies in them to prepare for a hurricane or other significant weather event.
- When comparing backpack prices, you’ll need to take the product’s features into consideration. A bookbag with extra compartments, USB ports and anti-theft locks are going to cost a little more than packs that are more basic. The type of fabric used can also drive up the cost. For example, fabric that is tear-resistant and waterproof is more expensive than your traditional backpack material.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide