Uniden 300-Channel Base/Mobile Scanner
Last updated date: April 5, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Police Scanners and dug through the reviews from 6 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, Jen Reviews, Top 5 Reviews, CB Radio Review, Walkie Talkie Central, Best10.ai and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Police Scanner you should buy.
In our analysis of 61 expert reviews, the Uniden Uniden 300-Channel Base/Mobile Scanner placed 6th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note April 24, 2019:
Checkout The Best Police Scanner for a detailed review of all the top police scanners.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
"The BC355N is an affordable, basic mobile scanner that's great for home or mobile use, with 300 storable channels, coverage of all the ""action"" bands, convenient features like ""close call"" and program lock, and a wealth of powering options for different applications. Receives conventional channels on the following frequencies: (25-54 MHz) (108-174 MHz) (225-380 MHz) (406-512 MHz) (806-956 MHz) (excluding cellular telephone bands) "
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Police Scanners
If you’ve ever watched out your window as emergency vehicles sped to a home down the street, you know the value of having a police scanner. These devices let you listen in on local police transmissions, helping you stay aware of what’s going on nearby. This can help you monitor your area for crime so that you can keep your own home safe.
Choosing a police scanner means finding a device that can help you get the best reception possible. With the right scanner, you’ll get the widest range of options when you’re listening. The wrong scanner will have you frustrated as you struggle to find a transmission. Look for a scanner that offers a broad frequency range and a large number of channels. Some scanners also offer both analog and digital frequencies, which can be a plus.
Some of the best police scanners use something called Close Call RF Capture technology, which helps you tune in to nearby transmissions. Since many consumers investing in police scanners are interested primarily in nearby happenings, this feature comes in handy. Location scanning is another feature that can help you access the transmissions in your immediate area. When a scanner has location scanning built in, it searches for transmissions nearby rather than forcing you to manually input them. This is especially valuable if you plan to use your scanner in more than one place.
Before you shop, though, you should make a decision about the build you want. Some scanners are designed to be used on a table or desk, while many others are handheld. If you want the freedom to move around your house or even take your scanner on the go, a handheld scanner may be a better option for you.
DYWM Fun Fact
As police scanners have grown in popularity, concerns have emerged that criminals might use them to get away with crimes. This is largely unfounded, especially since most scanner users are simply hobbyists. In other words, criminals aren’t likely to buy a police scanner simply for the purpose of getting away with a crime.
Even if they did, though, the information they’d gain wouldn’t be very helpful since communication is often incomplete. Not only do authorities use codewords only those involved in the incident would understand, emergency services often communicate using multiple methods, so you wouldn’t get the full picture of an incident anyway.
That said, it’s important that those using scanners avoid sharing details on social media, especially if the information gives away the addresses of homes that are currently being searched.
The Police Scanner Buying Guide
- The most important feature in a police scanner is its reception. The Uniden Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner can pick up frequencies in both analog and digital modes, which means you’ll be able to pull up transmissions from emergency services and the military. You’ll also get 25,000 dynamically allocated channels. The BaoFeng Dual Band Two Way Radio picks up 128 channels, with a frequency range of 136 to 174, and offers three-way radio wave reception, which includes FM, VHF and UHF. The Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld sometimes struggles to pick up analog frequencies.
- If you’re hoping to capture what’s going on in your neighborhood, look for a scanner that builds in Close Call RF Capture. The Uniden Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner, Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld and Uniden HomePatrol Phase 2 Base/Mobile all include that feature. With the Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld, you’ll have the advantage of a do-not-disturb setting that lets your scanner continue to look for nearby transmissions while still letting you listen to whatever is happening now.
- For listening to nearby transmissions, it can also be useful to have a scanner with location-based scanning built in. The Uniden Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner and Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld both automatically search frequencies in the surrounding area to keep you from having to find your location manually.
- The biggest difference between scanners is their general build. The Uniden Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner and Uniden HomePatrol Phase 2 Base/Mobile are both tabletop models, while the Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld and BaoFeng Dual Band Two Way Radio are handheld, similar to the design of the radio a police officer wears on his belt.
- Once you’ve found a good channel, you likely want to come back to it again. The Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld lets you create a favorites list to save all of the best channels. The BaoFeng Dual Band Two Way Radio lets you customize your channel names so that you can create nicknames to help you remember the ones you’ve used before.
- Scanners have come a long way in the smartphone era. The Uniden HomePatrol Phase 2 Base/Mobile has a built-in Wi-Fi feature that lets you sync up with a smartphone app. That means you can access your scanner using your smartphone even when you’re away from home.
- With other scanners, advanced functionality is built into the device itself. The Uniden Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner has an advanced dynamic memory system that remembers your preferences and handles more complex tasks. With the Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld, you can not only save your favorite channels to memory, but you can temporarily skip certain channels.
- If you’re looking for an affordable scanner, the BaoFeng Dual Band Two Way Radio can get you started. With a price point well below $50, this is a great option for the novice user who wants to simply give scanning a try. You’ll pay more than $300 for the Uniden Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner, with the Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld and Uniden HomePatrol Phase 2 Base/Mobile topping $400.
- Another bonus with Uniden’s scanners is the built-in weather alert feature. The Uniden Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner, Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld and Uniden HomePatrol Phase 2 Base/Mobile all have this included.
- If you want to record what you hear, you’ll need a scanner with plenty of storage. The Uniden HomePatrol Phase 2 Base/Mobile has a microSD slot that provides up to 4GB of storage, which is more space than you’ll probably ever need.
- If you’re new to scanning, you’ll want to look for a scanner that’s easy to use. Despite its low price, the BaoFeng Dual Band Two Way Radio may not be the best option, since it can be tough to use. The Uniden Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner needs some initial programming that can be complicated, and the scanner is a bit advanced for casual users. But the Uniden HomePatrol Series Handheld is built for ease of use, with its programming making many of the tasks you’ll need automatic.