Spear Head Spade Multi-Purpose Mini Garden Spade
Last updated date: October 27, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Garden Spades and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Garden Spade you should buy.
Update as October 27, 2022:
Checkout The Best Garden Spade for a detailed review of all the top garden spades.
This hybrid shovel/spade makes it easier to dig in tough soil conditions. It has a strong handle that provides better control. The garden spade is light and weighs only four pounds.
In our analysis, the Spear Head Spear Head Spade Multi-Purpose Mini Garden Spade placed 10th when we looked at the top 12 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
REDUCES DIGGING EFFORT: The first hybrid shovel/spade guaranteed to significantly reduce digging effort in toughest soil conditions. STRONG SHOVEL HANDLE: Special steel reinforced pultruded fiberglass handle is 60% stronger than EN-3388 shovel/spade standards. MULTI-PURPOSE SHOVEL: Shovel can be used for all landscaping, gardening, and digging tasks, but are especially suited for clay, rocky, and compacted soils. EXTRA LEVERAGE: Weighing only 4 pounds, this long handle design allows greater leverage for removing larger plants and digging deeper holes. “BEST of the BEST”: Spear Head Spades were AWARDED “BEST of the BEST” in garden shovels in 2018, 2019, and 2020 by independent test lab BESTREVIEWS!
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Garden Spades
If you have a green thumb, one of the most useful tools you will need in your shed is a garden spade. Spades are useful for digging because they have a wide, flat blade. This makes it easy to move and turn soil. While digging spades are the most common kind of garden spade, there are also other types of spades available.
For example, a border spade is a smaller and lighter type of digging spade. It is best used for digging small spaces, such as the borders around flower beds. A pointed spade has a pointed end as the name suggests, rather than a flat end like a digging spade. This tool is best for breaking apart clumps of soil or clay.
When deciding which kind of garden spade is right for you, it’s important to first consider the tasks you want to complete and the type of ground you’re dealing with. For example, if you have to work through a lot of clay, then a pointed spade and a digging spade may be useful. If you only want to dig up a small area or a border, then a border spade is your best bet.
The Garden Spade Buying Guide
- Consider the weight and length of the spade. If you have back problems, opt for something light like a border spade, or a digging spade that is made out of aluminum, which is a lighter material.
- A longer shaft on the spade will require less bending over, which can be useful if you are dealing with back pain. Some spades come with angled shafts, which can make it easier to lift heavy piles of dirt.
- Spade shafts can be made from a variety of materials like wood, plastic, fiberglass and metal. Wood is a popular option because it is sturdy and absorbs vibrations. However, it can sometimes splinter. Plastic and fiberglass are both lightweight, but they may snap under a lot of weight. Metal is a strong option, but it absorbs heat and can be uncomfortable to use.
- The material of your spade’s blade will affect how well it does the job. Blades made of stainless steel are best for digging in heavy ground like clay. They are durable, don’t rust and can be easily cleaned. However, stainless steel is heavy. The other option is carbon, which is a lightweight and tough material. However, carbon can rust after some time if it is not properly cared for.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide