Sony DVPSR210P DVD Player
Last updated date: February 13, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 DVD Players and dug through the reviews from 3 of the most popular review sites including Top Ten Reviews, Best Consumer Reviews and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best DVD Player you should buy.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
Ultra slim, new mid size design, progressive scan, JPEG, MP3 playback, multi disc resume, multi brand TV remote, energy Star.Connection: 1 x component video output ( RCA Phono x 3 ) - rear, 1 x composite video output ( RCA Phono ) - rear, 1 x digital audio output (coaxial) ( RCA Phono ) rear.What's in the box: Sony dvp-sr210p progressive scan DVD player, a/V cable, 2 x AA batteries, Remote control (rmt-d197a), 1-year parts & 90-Day labor Warranty.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On DVD Players
Although many consumers have given up DVD players in favor of solely streaming, true movie buffs still like to collect DVDs. There’s something about having all your movies displayed on a shelf. But even among the many cord cutters, DVD players have their benefits. Since some have streaming capabilities, they’re a handy way to access apps like Netflix and Hulu while also being around in case you ever want to rent a Redbox.
“While streaming movies and television have taken over our TVs, there is still a need for DVD players,” says our technology expert Molly Thornberg, the brains behind the parenting and technology site, Digital Mom Blog. Chances are you still have DVDs in your TV cabinet, or maybe your wedding video is on DVD.”
Today’s DVD players not only build in streaming capabilities, but they also let you play CDs. But not all players include this functionality, so it’s important to determine exactly what you plan to do before you start shopping. Some DVD players support multiple formats as well. So if you think you’ll be watching DVD-Rs or discs from other countries, you’ll need to look for a player with this type of compatibility.
For everyone, though, video and audio quality is typically a top priority. If you’ve tried to use an older DVD player with newer TVs, you may have noticed that it failed to offer the latest high-definition technology. Make sure it supports HD video streaming and, for best results, rent and buy Blu-ray versions of the movies you want to see. If you have surround sound, look for a DVD player that supports Dolby Digital Sound to ensure you get the full experience.
For some modern consumers, streaming is a prime feature when shopping for a DVD player. You may already have a device that helps you with that and, if so, it won’t be a consideration. However, if it is important, you’ll notice that not all DVD players include streaming as a feature. Of those that do, some make it easier than others. Look for features like a Netflix button on the remote and built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, which make it easy to perform a task that will likely become part of your daily life.
Thornberg also notes that some DVD players can support upconverting, which means they can convert standard definition video to a higher resolution, aka taking that SD video and making it compatible with your HDTV. She also notes that some DVD players are equipped with card readers, which is a handy feature for looking at family photos or home movies.
DYWM Fun Fact
Younger consumers may be surprised to learn that Netflix was founded as a DVD rental service. The goal was to make it easy for customers to rent movies over the internet, which was a relatively new concept at the time. Two software engineers founded the company in 1997, and in 1999, the company’s subscription model was introduced. For a monthly rate, you could get unlimited rentals each month, but you had to watch one, put it in the mail and have it scanned by the post office before another would ship to you. DVDs would arrive in a red envelope that could easily be resealed for returning the movie to the distribution center. In 2007, Netflix shifted its attention to online streaming, keeping the company relevant as DVDs gradually began to fade in popularity.
The DVD Player Buying Guide
- If you have an Ultra-HD TV, you’ll need to look for a DVD player that can handle it. The Panasonic Multi Region DVD player offers full HD video streaming support, as well as an up-conversion option to present DVDs in 1080p. The Sony Blu-ray Player supports HDR10 and 4K UHD, as well as upscaling HD content to 4K. However, if you’re looking for the best 4K picture for Blu-ray DVDs, you can’t go wrong with the OPPO Digital Blu-ray Disc Player, which uses advanced image processing to bring top-notch video to your home screen.
- Sound is another consideration, especially if you want the true home theater experience. The OPPO Digital Blu-ray Disc Player provides high-resolution audio, while the Panasonic Multi Region DVD player includes Dolby Digital Sound.
- If you’ll be using your new DVD player to connect to streaming apps like Netflix, consider the Sony Blu-ray Player, which connects easily and at an extremely fast rate. It also allows users to rearrange the apps on their screen, and there’s a Netflix button available directly on the remote. The OPPO Digital Blu-ray Disc Player doesn’t provide support for streaming, so skip that model if that’s a priority for you.
- One big benefit of the Panasonic Multi Region DVD player is its support for a wide range of DVD types. You can play both standard and rewriteable DVDs and CDs, regardless of the country where they originated.
- DVD players range widely in price, with the Impecca DVD Player available for less than $50. The Panasonic Multi Region DVD player retails for between $50 and $100, while the Sony Blu-ray Player sells in the $200 range. Although it offers top-of-the-line quality, the OPPO Digital Blu-ray Disc Player comes at a premium price, typically on sale for more than $1,000.