Silpat Silicone Baking Mat
Last updated date: November 5, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Silicone Baking Mats and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Silicone Baking Mat you should buy.
Update as November 5, 2020:
Checkout The Best Silicone Baking Mat for a detailed review of all the top silicone baking mats.
Silpat is a known name in silicone baking mats, and the Silpat Silicone Baking Mat doesn't disappoint. This mat can withstand temperatures of up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as being both microwave and freezer safe. One of the best things about this mat is that you can set it directly on the oven rack, eliminating the need for extra cookware.
In our analysis of 165 expert reviews, the Silpat Silicone Baking Mat placed 11th when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
This 11.6 x 16.5-inch half-sheet size baking mat will turn your pan into a non-stick surface. Silpat is especially great for working with sticky materials such as gooey dough, taffy, caramel, or anything your imagination allows. Nothing sticks to Silpat, so it will save you a lot of time cleaning as there is no more sticky mess on your pans! Silpat never needs greasing, which saves both time and money. Use Silpat instead for any baking recipe that calls for parchment paper. Utilizing Silpat products saves time, money and creates less waste for our environment. It is ideal for use when creating Danish pastries, baking biscuits, working with sugar and all sugary and salted preparations. Silpat Non-Stick Mats are made of fiberglass and silicone, and can be used thousands of times. Life of product varies--lasts 2,000 to 3,000 uses depending on use and care. Silpat products conform to US regulations on food grade silicone, and are FDA, NSF, and Kosher certified. Can be used at temperatures varying from -40 degrees C to 250 degrees C (-40 degrees F to 482 degrees F). Do not cut the Silpat as the fiberglass mesh particles might migrate into the food. Made in France. Silpat is known around the world as the original non-stick baking liner. Silpat liners are made of fiberglass and food grade silicone and are completely food safe. Nothing sticks to Silpat! Sasa Demarle Inc. was founded in 1965 by M. Guy Demarle in Northern France. Mr. Demarle was an experienced baker who was seeking a better way to make baguette bread with forms using non-stick silicone coatings. He went on to invent the first non-stick baguette baking trays or filets, as they are known in France. A few years later, Mr. Demarle also went on to invent and create the original Silpat and is known around the world as the original non-stick baking liner. Since then, we continue to strive for improvements in non-stick products for the baking, patisserie and food-service industries. From the Manufacturer Silpat nonstick baking sheets are made of woven glass coated with food-standard silicone. Used daily by professionals, the sheets offer multipurpose uses for preparing, cooking, and heating up food. They're also easy to clean--simply wipe them off using hot water and dish soap. Store them by either rolling them up or keeping them flat. Do not cut Silpat baking sheets with metal, but with DeMarle's Exoglass cutters or knives. Silpat baking sheets replace parchment paper, and are heat-resistant up to 480 degrees F. The Silpat makes any baking sheet nonstick--no greasing necessary. The baking sheets are made in France.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Silicone Baking Mats
Baking requires a variety of accessories for success. You’ll need either parchment paper or aluminum foil, or you’ll have to use cooking spray or oils. Otherwise, your food will stick to the pan at worst and cook unevenly at best.
Enter the silicone baking mat. This cooking tool tends to be something you don’t even know you need until you have one. Simply spread one of these mats across your baking sheet and enjoy even, nonstick baking. Some mats are even built to use without a baking sheet, letting you place them directly on the oven rack.
What are the benefits of a silicone baking mat? The first is that you’ll save money on cooking sprays, oils or nonstick papers, and you’ll avoid the extra calories that come from oils and cooking sprays. You also won’t be disposing of one-time-use parchment paper or aluminum foil. A baking mat’s reusability makes it an environmentally friendly solution.
There are several things to consider when buying a silicone baking mat, whether you’re choosing one for yourself or to give as a gift. One of the most important is the evenness of cooking. The right mat distributes heat evenly throughout the baking process, preventing burning and ensuring delicious taste in every bite. You’ll also need a nonstick surface to prevent your treats from sticking to the pan and tearing when you try to remove them.
Nonstick surfaces also mean easier cleanup. Simply remove the mat and wipe it down with soapy water, then rinse. Some mats allow you to wash them on the top rack of your dishwasher, but the size of the mat can make it tough to squeeze in. To be safe, it’s best to plan on handwashing your baking mat after each use.
Another thing to check before using your mat is its temperature tolerance. Baking mats are built to withstand typical baking temperatures, but if you’re baking at heat levels above 450 degrees, make sure your mat is built for it. Some mats can also be used in the microwave and the freezer, broadening the possibilities.
The Silicone Baking Mat Buying Guide
- Even heat distribution is essential in a baking mat. Look for a mat built with food-grade silicone and reinforced with fiberglass mesh, which transfers food effortlessly while also providing a nonstick surface.
- Cleanup is a big consideration with baking mats. The GRIDMANN Half Sheet Silicone Baking Mat, 2-Pack is the easiest to clean, thanks to the fact that you can wash it in the dishwasher on the top rack. However, fitting it into that space might be challenging. You can simply wash your mat with soap and warm water, then set it on the counter to dry. You’ll follow a similar handwashing procedure with the Velesco Silicone Baking Mat, Silpat Silicone Baking Mat and Artisan Silicone Baking Mat.
- One great thing about the build of the Velesco Silicone Baking Mat is that it doesn’t allow food to fall into the crevices.
- These mats are silicone, so there is a limit as to how much heat they can withstand. Some models have high heat tolerance, withstanding temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. The Velesco Silicone Baking Mat is limited to 480 degrees, but this is higher than most recipes. Other models promise heat tolerance of up to 480 degrees, but your food may start to burn once you exceed 400 degrees.
- Spatulas and utensils you can use with a silicone baking mat are a bit limited, as metal may scratch it. Some mats are built to withstand metal, so you can use the silverware and spatulas you already have.
- One of the best things about certain baking mats is that you can place them directly on an oven rack, no baking sheet required. Look for this feature if it’s important to you.
- With some baking mats, you aren’t limited to oven use. You can actually use them in the microwave and freezer. The Artisan Silicone Baking Mat is built to handle temperatures all the way down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can use it in the freezer, as well as the toaster oven and microwave.
- In addition to using some silicone mats in more than one appliance, you can also use some of them to perform other types of cooking activities. The Velesco Silicone Baking Mat can help you with kneading and rolling in addition to baking. The Artisan Silicone Baking Mat can be used to knead, roll and shape dough, as well as roast meat. You can even use it to cool your food items.
- Safety is top-of-mind for many households. Look for a mat that is made from non-toxic, food-grade silicone to keep carcinogens out of your food. The Velesco Silicone Baking Mat is FDA-approved for its food safety, so you can rest easy knowing that your food will be BPA and PFOA-free. The Artisan Silicone Baking Mat is BPA and PFOA-free, as well as being manufactured in an environmentally friendly manner.
- As you’re comparing prices, make sure you keep in mind what you get in each set. Some mats are sold individually, whereas others come with two 11.6- by 16.5-inch mats. The Velesco Silicone Baking Mat and Artisan Silicone Baking Mat are also sold in pairs.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide