Römertopf 99119 Rustico Series Glazed Clay Baker
Last updated date: May 29, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Clay Bakers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Clay Baker you should buy.
Update as April 5, 2021:
Checkout The Best Clay Baker for a detailed review of all the top clay bakers.
If you're searching for a decorative clay baker that can be used to cook just about anything, this model is your best bet. The baker itself is oven, microwave and dishwasher safe, as it can withstand temperatures as high as 900 degrees Fahrenheit. Since the baker is handcrafted in Germany, no two bakers are completely identical.
In our analysis of 13 expert reviews, the Römertopf Rustico Series Glazed Clay Baker placed 6th when we looked at the top 13 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Reston Lloyd was founded in 1972 and produces high quality enamel on steel kitchen, melamine, and acrylic accessories to produce Corelle coordinates as well as their private brand Calypso Basics. In addition, Reston Lloyd is the exclusive distributor for both Romertopf and Mawa which are home & kitchen products from Germany. These high end quality products are one of the corner stones to Reston Lloyd, who focus on quality merchandise from Germany. German made Glazed Romertopf, has a glazed bottom and unglazed lid. The steaming method used by Romertopf surprises you time and time again by its unequalled tasty and healthy dishes and by being extremely easy to use. Each piece is handcrafted in Germany using natural clay. The unglazed top is to be soaked before use. The lid will absorb the right amount of water every time and creates a blanket of steam inside and out during the cooking process. The glazed bottom is made of a glass frit material and does not contain any non-stick chemicals. This allows for easy release and clean up. Contains no lead, cadmium, dyes or plastics. All natural and European tested. Dishwasher and microwave safe and oven safe to 900 Degrees F. Not for freezer use. Designed from decades of tradition, the Rustico Series shares a design of the old and new with contemporary smooth lines and farm theme images. The lid is adorned with images of vegetables, chickens and cows for a hometown feel. Romertopf has lasted the test of time because it is easy to use and nutritious.
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Clay Bakers
Clay bakers are not only stylish, but they also produce dishes that are full of flavor. They can be used to prepare just about any recipe, including stew, roasted chicken and vegetables, homemade biscuits and banana nut bread. If you’re in the market for clay bakeware, keep the following features in mind as you shop.
Determine exactly what you want to cook in the clay baker. There are casserole-type dishes that can bake just about anything, as well as bakeware items that are designed for a specific purpose. For example, the Norpro 1157 Garlic Clay Baker is made for roasting garlic. It comes with a lid that has a tiny air vent and a cute garlic-shaped handle for easy gripping.
When opting for a clay baker that can handle bread, you want to make sure that you won’t need to add any unnecessary grease. For example, the USA Pan Stoneware Loaf Clay Baker features a nonstick silicone coating that is PFOA and PTFE-free. The bread will slide right out of the clay baker without the bottom or sides sticking to the pan.
Review the size of the clay baker to ensure it can hold enough to serve your family. The Ceramica Edgar Pinto Terracotta Roasting Tray Clay Baker comes in six different sizes, so whether you are a newly married couple or a family of six, you’re sure to find a baker that meets your needs. As an added bonus, this particular clay baker is made from an attractive red clay that is then hand-painted.
Take a look at the clay baker’s craftsmanship and any extra features that it may have that make it more functional than another model. For example, the Römertopf Rustico Series Glazed Clay Baker is handcrafted in Germany, includes a matching lid, comes with handles for easy carrying and is safe for use in both ovens and microwaves.
The Clay Baker Buying Guide
- Review the cleaning instructions on the clay baker’s product packaging. Half are listed as dishwasher safe, as they are able to withstand high heat. The other half must be hand-washed. If they have a glaze, you can wash them with dish soap, water and a non-abrasive sponge. Natural clay pots, on the other hand, will absorb the soap, so you’ll need to wash them with hot water and use a brush to clean away any food particles. Baking soda can be added if you notice the clay baker has a bit of an odor.
- Many clay bakers are designed to be soaked in water before use. The chef then adds the ingredients to the baker and places the dish in the oven while the oven is still cold. The temperature is then set and as the baker heats up, steam is produced. This unique steaming process results in some of the most delicious flavors you’ve ever tasted.
- After removing a clay baker from the oven, you’ll need to set it on a heat resistant mat or a wood, metal or silicone trivet. If you try to place it directly on a cool surface, the clay may crack.
- Do not use your clay baker on a stovetop. Clay bakers are also not safe to place in a freezer.
- Clay bakers come in a wide range of sizes and intended uses. As a result, the price for a clay baker varies greatly. You’ll pay the least amount for the Norpro 1157 Garlic Clay Baker, as it is only big enough to roast garlic. Both, the USA Pan Stoneware Loaf Clay Baker and the Ceramica Edgar Pinto Terracotta Roasting Tray Clay Baker are moderately priced. You’ll pay the most for the Römertopf Rustico Series Glazed Clay Baker, which has a large capacity and comes with a matching lid.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide