purelife Stainless Steel & Tempered Clear View Glass Lid Double Boiler
Last updated date: May 28, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Double Boilers For Chocolate and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Double Boiler For Chocolate you should buy.
In our analysis of 17 expert reviews, the purelife purelife Stainless Steel & Tempered Clear View Glass Lid Double Boiler placed 10th when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note June 1, 2020:
Checkout The Best Double Boiler For Chocolate for a detailed review of all the top double boilers for chocolate.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
WHY TRUST PURELIFE? The products are engineered, prototyped and tested to insure that they perform as needed. Our products meet the industry's HIGHEST QUALITY STANDARDS.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Double Boilers For Chocolate
While you can melt chocolate in a microwave, it’s not the ideal method for several reasons. First, it’s easy to burn the chocolate when melting it in a microwave, as you can’t continuously stir it. Second, you can’t melt large amounts of chocolate in a microwave. Instead, it’s a good idea to invest in a quality double boiler for chocolate, so you get a perfect melt every time.
Look for a double boiler for chocolate with a durable construction. The Farberware Classic Covered Double Boiler, 2-Quart has a thick aluminum core surrounded by stainless steel. The aluminum is excellent at heating your items evenly, while the stainless steel is both durable and rust resistant.
Determine whether you’re interested in simply purchasing a single pot that can be used inside one of your existing pots, or whether you’d like a model that includes the pot, saucepan and a matching lid. The ExcelSteel Stainless Steel Double Boiler, 3-Piece, 2.5-Quart is an all-in-one package with a glass lid that lets you keep an eye on the food you’re cooking.
Check the double boiler’s handle next. You want an ergonomic handle, like the one on the T-fal Phenolic Handle Double Boiler, 3-Quart, as it is designed for comfort and safety. If you have a proper grip, you’ll also have better control over the pan while you stir the ingredients as they begin to melt.
Consider any double boilers that have extra features. There are models with hanging loops at the end of the handles, which give you the option of storing the boiler in a cabinet or from a hanging pan rack. The SONGZIMING Stainless Steel Double Boiler, 400ML is equipped with a front hook that keeps it from sliding around. It also has two built-in side spouts for easy pouring once the items in the boiler are completely melted.
DWYM Fun Fact
Benjamin Thompson Rumford, an American physicist, is the inventor of the famous double boiler. Surprisingly, he also created the coffee percolator and a host of other kitchen devices. It is believed that he came up with the first version of the popular dessert known as baked Alaska, even though a chef by the name of Charles Ranhofer says the tasty dessert was his idea. Since Rumford’s creation is known to have taken place in 1804, and Ranhofer’s in 1867, it is safe to give Rumford the win on this delicious treat.
The Double Boiler For Chocolate Buying Guide
- Be sure to clean around the ridge where the inner pan rests, as chocolate can get lodged there.
- Always check how heat-resistant the boiler’s handle is. Some models actually get quite hot, which means you’ll end up needing a good pair of oven mitts to prevent burns.
- Review the double boiler for chocolate’s product care guide, as many models are not dishwasher safe. You’ll need to wash these models using hot water and a little dish soap. Stay away from abrasive sponges and cleaners if the boiler has a nonstick coating, as these will damage the coating and render it useless.
- To use your double boiler, you’ll want to add 2 inches of water to the bottom pan. After you put the upper unit in its place, you’ll need to cut the items you want to melt into small pieces. Arrange those pieces evenly across the bottom of the pan and then turn your burner on, placing it on the low heat setting. As soon as you notice the small pieces starting to melt, you’ll need to begin stirring. Continue to stir the contents of the double boiler until they have completely melted. As soon as you remove the boiler from the heat, you’ll want to transfer the contents to your mold or serving container.
- When browsing the price of a double boiler for chocolate, you must take into consideration the size of the boiler, as well as any special features. You’ll find the SONGZIMING Stainless Steel Double Boiler, 400ML is among the most affordable options, while the ExcelSteel Stainless Steel Double Boiler, 3-Piece, 2.5-Quart is more moderately priced. You’ll pay the most for the T-fal Phenolic Handle Double Boiler, 3-Quart and the Farberware Classic Covered Double Boiler, 2-Quart, as they come with saucepans, lids and ergonomic handles.