Polaris Sport Robotic in-Ground Pool Cleaner
Last updated date: April 4, 2019
Review Melt Score
Why Trust The Review Melt Score?
Review Melt is the #1 product review aggregator. Our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then "melt" them into one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Pool Cleaners and dug through the reviews from 6 of the most popular review sites including Pool Cleaner Hub, Best Robotic Pool Cleaners, Birdeye, The Rex Garden, Robotic Pool Cleaners Compared and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Pool Cleaner you should buy.
In our analysis of 65 expert reviews, the Polaris Polaris Sport Robotic In Ground Pool Cleaner placed 6th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note April 17, 2019:
Checkout The Best Pool Cleaner for a detailed review of all the top pool cleaners.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
The Polaris 9450 Sport provides best-in-class cleaning performance and features. With Vortex Vacuum Technology that enables extraordinary cleaning power without losing suction, the 9450 Sport tackles any pool terrain and climbs over obstacles without getting stuck. The 9450 Sport cleans all pool surface types and scrubs the floor, walls, and tile line with a pleated scrubbing brush. This machine has an all-purpose filter canister that has 4 times the capacity of other similar cleaners. That means fewer filter cleanings (up to 70% less), and lower operating costs (pennies per day). By engineering the machine with top access large capacity filter canister, debris can easily be emptied with a simple shake and spray convenience. Never touch debris again! The 9450 Sport is the only Polaris robotic to feature a new 7-day programmable timer, with fully customizable cleaning cycles. Simply set it and forget it. And, its ActivMotion Sensor allows the cleaner to automatically sense its position in the pool and adapt its path for optimized cleaning while reducing cord tangling. The 9450 also includes a NEW lift system. With the touch of a button the 9450 surfaces to a desired location and waits for you to grab it, then automatically evacuates water for effortless removal from the pool. The 9450 Sport cleans pools up to 50' in length. It weighs just 16 lbs and includes a new premium, compact transport caddy that can be assembled without tools. Model is backed by a 2 year limited warranty.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Pool Cleaners
Keeping a swimming pool clean is hard work, but it’s well worth it for the hours of fun every summer. With the right automatic pool cleaner, you can cut down on those hours of work, grabbing any dirt and debris and keeping all surfaces clean.
Pool cleaners have so many features, though, it can be easy to feel a little overwhelmed as you start shopping. Your first concern will no doubt be efficiency. After all, a pool cleaner that doesn’t actually clean anything isn’t worth having. One thing that factors into how well your pool cleaner performs is pressure. Just as a pressure washer can power off stains on your home’s exterior, the right amount of pressure can blast away all of that grime on your pool’s surface.
Large debris is another challenge your pool cleaner will face. This generally comes down to suction. The stronger suction your pool cleaner has, the more likely it will be able to collect those more stubborn items, particularly leaves. Some cleaners have parts you can interchange on those days when you notice larger debris in the pool.
In order to maneuver around your pool, though, your cleaner will need to be lightweight enough to scale walls and climb stairs. It will also need to have sensors built in that can determine exactly which areas of your pool need to be cleaned on any given day. The more automatic this process is, the less time you’ll have to spend worrying about keeping your pool clean.
Even with the best pool cleaner, though, you may find it will occasionally get stuck. Pay close attention to these problem areas, and make sure you check in on your pool during the warm months of the year to ensure your cleaner isn’t stuck.
Certain pool cleaners can also tend to damage the pool’s surface, particularly if your pool is made of more sensitive materials. In some cases, you’ll be able to buy special wheels that will ensure your pool remains in great shape without sacrificing any cleanliness.
Review Melt Fun Fact
There are many myths surrounding pools and cleanliness, including the misconception that chlorine kills all germs. While the right combination of chemicals will get rid of germs, this process takes time. That means, that, unfortunately, some germs can survive even in a well-treated pool for days. In addition to keeping your pool surface clean using a pool cleaner, you also need the right pH balance and chlorine to keep it healthy. If you own your own pool, you should be testing the water every day before your first swim to make sure the levels haven’t dropped to an unsafe range overnight.
The Pool Cleaner Buying Guide
- Pressure plays a big role in how efficient your pool cleaner is. The Polaris Vac-Sweep Side Pool Cleaner is powered by double jets. It not only dislodges the most stubborn debris, but it does so in three hours or less. The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus’s double scrubbing brushes also do a good job, but they do sometimes have difficulty cleaning the waterline.
- Even the best pool cleaners can struggle to capture larger debris, like leaves. The Hayward Poolvergnuegen, 2 Wheel lets you change out the suction throats to make sure it gets those larger pieces.
- If you have steps, you may want to go with a more lightweight model, like the Polaris Vac-Sweep Side Pool Cleaner or the Zodiac BARACUDA Automatic Pool Cleaner. Both are lightweight enough to handle the sides of your pool and your steps, but the Polaris Vac-Sweep Side Pool Cleaner adds on a three-wheel base to help with those challenges.
- Today’s cleaners use GPS to move around a pool. The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus has built-in sensors that scan your pool and find the best route to take. This makes sure it gets the work done in the most efficient way possible. The Hayward Poolvergnuegen, 2 Wheel has a patented steering system that helps it get around the walls, stairs and other curves found in a pool.
- In addition to pressure, suction is an important feature in a pool cleaner, helping you get those more stubborn items that other models won’t. The Polaris Vac-Sweep Side Pool Cleaner has a three-jet suction design that helps it both capture bigger debris and resist clogging.
- Your pool cleaner will work with your pump, which you should already have in place. For best results, you’ll need to make sure your cleaner is compatible with the pump you have. The Zodiac BARACUDA Automatic Pool Cleaner works just as well with a high-pressure pump as it does with a low-pressure one.
- One thing you may not think about until you’ve had your pool cleaner for a while is cable tangles. The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus has a swivel to keep the cable from twisting and coiling while it works. When a cable is longer, that’s a valuable feature to have.
- As convenient as pool cleaners can be, they can be a pain if they get stuck often. The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus does occasionally get stuck, as does the Zodiac BARACUDA Automatic Pool Cleaner. The Zodiac BARACUDA Automatic Pool Cleaner can be especially prone to sticking around raised drains. It may also sometimes need to be redirected to the shallow end of the pool.
- If you’re looking for an affordable pool cleaner, you’ll find that with the Zodiac BARACUDA Automatic Pool Cleaner, which retails in the $200-$300 range. The Hayward Poolvergnuegen, 2 Wheel tops $300, while the Polaris Vac-Sweep Side Pool Cleaner exceeds $400. The priciest is the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus, which sells for more than $700. When pricing pool cleaners, it’s also important to consider what add-ons you’ll need. The Polaris Vac-Sweep Side Pool Cleaner, for instance, requires an extra booster pump, as well as a purchase like a rear sweep tail, so those will add on to the price.
- When ease of use is a priority, the Zodiac BARACUDA Automatic Pool Cleaner delivers, serving as a welcome alternative to other pool cleaners. It’s easy to set up and has a self-adjusting flow valve. The Hayward Poolvergnuegen, 2 Wheel is easy to install and low maintenance, which means you’ll be able to put it in place and let it do its work.
- Energy efficiency is another consideration. The unique design of the Hayward Poolvergnuegen, 2 Wheel makes the most of the water coming through it, reducing wasted energy.
- The wheels on the Hayward Poolvergnuegen, 2 Wheel can cause damage to your pool liner. If you have vinyl or fiberglass, you’ll also want to consider tape tires to protect the surface of your pool.