PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
Last updated date: November 7, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
We looked at the top Dog Mattresses and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Dog Mattress you should buy.
One of the best features of the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is its cotton cover, which is not only breathable, but also certified as "skin contact safe." The cover is water-resistant to protect against any accidents. It also won't tear if your dog happens to scratch the fabric or try to chew it. A non-slip bottom makes it ideal for rooms with hardwood or tile flooring. In our analysis of 25 expert reviews, the PetFusion PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed placed 4th when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note November 18, 2019:
Checkout The Best Dog Bed / Mattress for a detailed review of all the top dog mattresses.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Tired of cheap pet beds That easily tear, are difficult to clean and don't provide your pet the comfort they deserve? The pet Fusion ultimate dog lounge was designed with all these features in mind with an attractive, modern touch that blends in seamlessly to your home. Premium materials, quality construction and smart features set the ultimate dog lounge apart from the crowd and provide excellent value for your money.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Dog Mattresses
You love your pup and you want him or her to be able to rest comfortably when taking a nap or sleeping at night. A dog bed (dog mattress) is a great way to do this, and the best part is that you can easily move the dog bed into any room. That way, if you’re watching TV in the living room, your dog will be close by. When shopping for the perfect dog mattress, there are a few things you’ll want to consider.
Before you make your purchase, consider what you already know about your dog’s behavior and sleeping style, says Stephanie Mantilla, a positive reinforcement animal trainer who runs the blog Curiosity Trained.
“Some dogs prefer raised beds, others prefer beds with ‘arms’ to rest their head on, while others prefer cushy memory foam to sprawl out on,” she says.
Examine the bed’s construction and the materials it is made out of to ensure it will be soft against your dog’s fur. The Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Donut Cuddler is made out of faux fur and nylon that is extremely comfortable. It has a self-warming feature, so that pups gets warmer and warmer the longer that they lay in bed. As an added bonus, the mattress is also hypoallergenic, which is great for dogs with allergies.
If you live in a warmer climate, or you have hot summers, you may want to look for a memory foam mattress filled with gel foam. The gel keeps the dog bed from becoming too hot and provides a cooling sensation that is welcome when temperatures outside reach 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Determine if your dog needs added orthopedic support. Some models have bolstered sides that help with this. Others, like the BarkBox Orthopedic Ultra Plush Dog Bed, use a special memory foam mattress that helps with muscle aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia and arthritis.
Flip the mattress over and take a look at the bottom. Beds like the Milliard Quilted Padded Orthopedic Dog Bed have a non-slip bottom to prevent the mattress from sliding across the room every time your dog tries to lay in it. This isn’t a must if you have carpet, but it is ideal for those who have tile and hardwood flooring that can be slippery.
If your dog is a chewer, certain beds aren’t ideal. Look for the words “tear-resistant” on the product packaging to ensure you aren’t buying a bed that will only last a few days.
Check to see if the company implements any environmentally-friendly practices. For example, the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed uses recycled green polyfill for the bolsters.
Finally, consider the extras, like water-resistant covers that protect against leaks, and a variety of colors to match the room in your home where you plan on placing the dog bed. Most dog beds are sold in small, medium and large, although some companies also have an extra-large option.
If you’re looking for a mattress that’s easy to keep clean, consider one with a removable cover, suggests Mantilla.
“Having an easily removable cover makes washing easy,” she says. “This will keep the bed and your house from smelling. My best tip is to get an extra cover for the bed so that your dog can still use the bed while the other cover is being washed.”
DWYM Fun Fact
Dogs, like people, need a certain amount of sleep per day. In general, this is anywhere between 12 and 14 hours. This number increases for younger pups and older dogs. A dog bed or mattress is an excellent way to assist man’s best friend in getting the ideal amount of sleep.
Like humans, dogs go into REM sleep. It is during this stage of sleep that dogs can shiver, shake, twitch, cry, kick, growl and even move their legs like they are running. It is important that you never try to wake your dog during REM sleep, or you risk getting bitten. In fact, 60% of dog bites occur when someone wakes a dog from a deep slumber.
There are four general positions dogs tend to sleep in. They may sleep on their side by themselves or on their side with their back up against your back, on their tummies, with their feet up in the air or all curled up with their heads meeting their tails.
Stress also causes canines to toss and turn in their sleep. Changes in routines, loud noises (like thunder) and certain training techniques can all be sources of stress for a dog.
The Dog Mattress Buying Guide
- Look for a money-back guarantee or a product warranty. If there is a warranty, it is most likely limited and only good for two years. However, this added protection will come in handy if anything should happen to your mattress before your dog has even had time to enjoy it.
- Check the product label for washing instructions. Some dog mattresses are machine washable and dryer safe, while others are not. There are even models on the market that have a cover, so all you need to do is unzip the cover and toss it in the washing machine to get it clean. Even if the mattress is safe to toss in the washing machine, the label may warn not to use bleach, as this could harm the fabric. There may be restrictions when it comes to the dryer as well, such as only tumbling the bed cover on low heat.
- Schedule weekly cleanings for your dog mattress. In between cleanings, you may wish to use your vacuum to suck up any pet hair or dirt that got tracked in after your pup came in from playing outdoors. You’ll also want to keep an eye on the bed for fleas and ticks during the summer months, as it is possible for your dog to pick these up while spending time in your yard.
- Depending on the type of foam used to make the dog mattress, you may notice an odor when you first open the packaging. Airing the mattress out for a few days should do the trick. If there are any lingering odors, you can sprinkle baking soda over the bed and let it sit overnight. Simply vacuum the powder up the next morning, and the mattress will be ready for your dog.
- While reviewing prices, it is important that you compare like sizes and features. The Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Donut Cuddler and the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed have added bolsters, which means they require more material to put together. It makes sense then that they cost a little more than the BarkBox Orthopedic Ultra Plush Dog Bed and the Milliard Quilted Padded Orthopedic Dog Bed, which don’t have any bolsters.