Norpro Large Garlic Baker
Last updated date: January 30, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Garlic Keepers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Garlic Keeper you should buy.
You can season, bake and serve fresh roasted garlic with this unique, easy-to-use garlic baker. We love that you can even roast multiple heads of garlic at one time. This baker is crafted from sturdy, natural terra cotta and features a garlic-shaped handle for easy gripping. In our analysis of 15 expert reviews, the Norpro Norpro Large Garlic Baker placed 5th when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note January 30, 2020:
Checkout The Best Garlic Keeper for a detailed review of all the top garlic keepers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
From The Manufacturer
Measures: 5.75" X 5.75" X 4.25”/ 14.5cm x 14.5cm x 11cm Season, bake and serve fresh roasted garlic with this unique, easy to use garlic baker. Roast multiple heads of garlic at one time! Baking whole garlic tempers its pungency, bringing out its sweeter, nuttier flavors. Great on crusty French bread, with a dip of olive oil seasoned with spices. Or add baked garlic to pasta sauces and salads. Makes a zesty pizza topping! Crafted from sturdy, natural terra cotta and features an attractive garlic-shaped handle for easy gripping. Lid includes steam vents. Also use to roast onions or to store garlic between uses. Glazed interior base for easy clean-up. Instructions and recipe included. Oven and microwave safe. Hand wash only to preserve quality. Norpro was founded in 1973 with a vision to design, manufacture, and supply the highest caliber kitchenware. Norpro’s offering of innovative, high quality product for cooking, preparing and serving food are produced with superior materials and craftsmanship. Amazon.com Roasted garlic is all the rage, and for good reason: its sweet, savory flavor adds depth and richness to many dishes and it's an easy appetizer when served with a crusty loaf of bread. This terra cotta garlic baker comes equipped with a basic recipe to get you started. There's even a microwave version, but taking the time in the oven gives the best results. The glazed bottom of the baker is easy to clean and the porous, unglazed lid holds in just enough moisture to bake the garlic until it has carmelized, without drying it out. The baker can also be used to store fresh garlic between uses. --Julija Gelazis
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Garlic Keepers
To prevent garlic from becoming moldy or going bad before you have a chance to use it, you need to properly store it. You can do this with a garlic keeper. As you browse the available models, keep the following information in mind.
Garlic keepers are made from a few different types of materials, such as terra cotta, ceramic and high-fired stoneware. While all of these construction materials work well if you simply need to store your garlic, you’ll need a high-fired stoneware keeper, like the Le Creuset Stoneware Garlic Keeper, if you want to place the keeper on an oven or in a freezer.
You’ll also need the construction materials to be nonporous. This type of material is stain and odor resistant and less likely to crack or chip.
Look for garlic keepers that promote proper airflow. The Fox Run Ceramic Garlic Keeper has nice size ventilation holes that keep garlic cool, dry and fresh. Remember, moisture is an enemy of garlic.
Check that the garlic keeper can stop light from reaching the garlic. For example, the Mud Pie Ceramic Garlic Storage Keeper has a removable wooden lid that keeps garlic in the dark, giving it a longer shelf life.
Finally, you’ll want to take design into account when choosing the best garlic keeper. The Norpro Stoneware Garlic Keeper is not only attractive, but it also complements just about any kitchen theme.
DYWM Fun Fact
We all know garlic makes a variety of dishes more flavorful, but you may not be aware of just how many health benefits the widely-used herb offers. For example, did you know garlic contains a host of important nutrients, including folate, niacin, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, iron and phosphorous? Here are a few more health benefits associated with garlic:
- Garlic helps lower high blood pressure.
- Garlic relieves cold symptoms thanks to its antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Garlic aids in digestion and reduces gas.
- Garlic reduces blood sugar levels when eaten in raw form.
- Garlic supports weight loss efforts by boosting your metabolism.
The Garlic Keeper Buying Guide
- Always check the garlic keeper’s cleaning instructions. Several models are not dishwasher-safe and must be cleaned by hand.
- You’ll get the highest concentration of active ingredients in fresh garlic, so look for bulbs that are plump with tight skin.
- Garlic still in the bulb will last as long as 8 weeks when properly stored at room temperature.
- Never store a whole garlic bulb in your refrigerator, as this environment allows mold to grow. You can, however, place chopped garlic in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days. This is helpful if you have a little leftover garlic that you can toss on a salad the next day.
- Use apples or raw mint leaves to help reduce garlic breath after eating meals that have been flavored with the herb.
- Garlic keepers vary greatly in price for several reasons. The Fox Run Ceramic Garlic Keeper and the Mud Pie Ceramic Garlic Storage Keeper are basic in design and on the lower end of the price range. You’ll find the Norpro Stoneware Garlic Keeper in the middle, thanks to its more intricate design and glossy finish. The Le Creuset Stoneware Garlic Keeper commands the highest price because it can be used in all temperatures, including in an oven or freezer.