Norpro 1157 Garlic Clay Baker
Last updated date: May 29, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Clay Bakers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Clay Baker you should buy.
Garlic lovers are sure to appreciate this natural terra cotta clay baker, which is able to roast several bulbs of garlic at once. The lid is made with a garlic-shaped handle and features an air vent to allow steam to escape. The base is even glazed to keep the garlic from sticking to the baker. In our analysis of 15 expert reviews, the Norpro Norpro 1157 Garlic Clay Baker placed 2nd when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note May 29, 2020:
Checkout The Best Clay Baker for a detailed review of all the top clay bakers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Measures: 4.25" x 4.25” x 3.75” / 11cm x 11cm x 9.5cm Season, bake and serve fresh roasted garlic with this unique, easy to use garlic baker. Crafted from sturdy, natural terra cotta and features an attractive garlic-shaped handle for easy gripping. Lid includes steam vent. Also use to roast onions or to store garlic between uses! Glazed interior base for easy clean-up. Instructions and recipe included. Oven and microwave safe. Hand wash only to preserve quality. Norpro was founded in 1973 with a vision to design, manufacture, and supply the highest caliber kitchenware. Norpro’s offering of innovative, high quality product for cooking, preparing and serving food are produced with superior materials and craftsmanship.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Clay Bakers
Clay bakers are not only stylish, but they also produce dishes that are full of flavor. They can be used to prepare just about any recipe, including stew, roasted chicken and vegetables, homemade biscuits and banana nut bread. If you’re in the market for clay bakeware, keep the following features in mind as you shop.
Determine exactly what you want to cook in the clay baker. There are casserole-type dishes that can bake just about anything, as well as bakeware items that are designed for a specific purpose. For example, the Norpro 1157 Garlic Clay Baker is made for roasting garlic. It comes with a lid that has a tiny air vent and a cute garlic-shaped handle for easy gripping.
When opting for a clay baker that can handle bread, you want to make sure that you won’t need to add any unnecessary grease. For example, the USA Pan Stoneware Loaf Clay Baker features a nonstick silicone coating that is PFOA and PTFE-free. The bread will slide right out of the clay baker without the bottom or sides sticking to the pan.
Review the size of the clay baker to ensure it can hold enough to serve your family. The Ceramica Edgar Pinto Terracotta Roasting Tray Clay Baker comes in six different sizes, so whether you are a newly married couple or a family of six, you’re sure to find a baker that meets your needs. As an added bonus, this particular clay baker is made from an attractive red clay that is then hand-painted.
Take a look at the clay baker’s craftsmanship and any extra features that it may have that make it more functional than another model. For example, the Römertopf Rustico Series Glazed Clay Baker is handcrafted in Germany, includes a matching lid, comes with handles for easy carrying and is safe for use in both ovens and microwaves.
DWYM Fun Fact
Humans have been using clay to create pottery as far back as 6500 B.C. Even today clay bakers have remained a popular choice when cooking everything from mouth-watering roasts to delicious breads. Did you know, however, that there are actually a lot of health benefits associated with clay cooking? Here are just a few:
- Lower in fat: Since clay bakers use steam to cook their foods, chefs don’t need to add any fat or oil to the dish.
- Higher in nutrients: Foods are cooked slower in clay pots, which allows them to retain the nutrients that are often lost during faster cooking methods.
- Reduced sweeteners: Clay actually works to neutralize the pH in your foods. That means acidic foods become sweet naturally without the need to add any sugar.
The Clay Baker Buying Guide
- Review the cleaning instructions on the clay baker’s product packaging. Half are listed as dishwasher safe, as they are able to withstand high heat. The other half must be hand-washed. If they have a glaze, you can wash them with dish soap, water and a non-abrasive sponge. Natural clay pots, on the other hand, will absorb the soap, so you’ll need to wash them with hot water and use a brush to clean away any food particles. Baking soda can be added if you notice the clay baker has a bit of an odor.
- Many clay bakers are designed to be soaked in water before use. The chef then adds the ingredients to the baker and places the dish in the oven while the oven is still cold. The temperature is then set and as the baker heats up, steam is produced. This unique steaming process results in some of the most delicious flavors you’ve ever tasted.
- After removing a clay baker from the oven, you’ll need to set it on a heat resistant mat or a wood, metal or silicone trivet. If you try to place it directly on a cool surface, the clay may crack.
- Do not use your clay baker on a stovetop. Clay bakers are also not safe to place in a freezer.
- Clay bakers come in a wide range of sizes and intended uses. As a result, the price for a clay baker varies greatly. You’ll pay the least amount for the Norpro 1157 Garlic Clay Baker, as it is only big enough to roast garlic. Both, the USA Pan Stoneware Loaf Clay Baker and the Ceramica Edgar Pinto Terracotta Roasting Tray Clay Baker are moderately priced. You’ll pay the most for the Römertopf Rustico Series Glazed Clay Baker, which has a large capacity and comes with a matching lid.