Native Spring Adjustable Mandoline Slicer
Last updated date: April 12, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Mandoline Slicers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Mandoline Slicer you should buy.
Update as November 14, 2022:
Check out The Best Mandoline Slicer for a detailed review of all the top mandoline slicers.
In our analysis of 48 expert reviews, the Native Spring Adjustable Mandoline Slicer placed 14th when we looked at the top 14 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Native Spring Adjustable Mandoline Slicer with Container & Lid has 4 interchangeable stainless steel blades by using the control knob at the bottom that effortlessly allow you to grate, shred and slice all types of hard & soft foods with speed, safety, and precision.This handy kitchen gadget will take your platters and meals to the next level, giving them that WOW factor. It’s perfect for cheeses, carrots, potatoes, onions and many other delicious food items. Multiple locking blades allow you to tailor the size & texture of your grated food. The container catches & stores grated cheese or veggies with considerably less chaos helping you prepare food faster and easier for any occasion. A must have tool for your next BBQ or Dinner Party. Get this durable professional small kitchen appliance, which is perfect for any food preparation, by clicking on the “Add to cart” button now.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Mandoline Slicer Rankings
Mandoline Slicer Overview
Upon ordering a delicious and nutritious dish from a quality eatery, you will likely find razor-thin cucumbers, carrots, radishes, apples or other produce topping your exquisite dish. Paper-thin foods definitely come with a “wow” factor, especially for foodies. Impressively cut veggies are sure to make any meal stand out, both in presentation and taste.
Thinly sliced veggies are more likely to maintain their satisfying crunch compared to thick chunks — even if the vegetables are full of water, as zucchinis and cucumbers are. That crunch adds an elevated eating experience that most people only think is possible in fancy restaurants. It turns out, home cooks can get in on the action with ease.
The secret to getting such thin slices is a basic kitchen gadget that should be in every home cook’s toolkit. This key tool is called a mandoline slicer. Mandoline slicers are essentially vegetable guillotines. They’re countertop kitchen tools that allow you to push vegetables (or other foods, like cheese) across sharp blades to get thinly sliced snacks efficiently.
Two parallel working surfaces, one whose height is adjustable and includes a mounted blade, is the basis of the mandoline slicer. A food item is slid along the adjustable surface until it reaches the blade, which quickly slices it. Slices are always uniform in thickness, which can be essential for perfect presentation and evenly distributed cooking when making things like chips and fried foods.
Using a mandoline slicer to cut your vegetables is much easier than individually chopping them with a chef’s knife, especially when feeding a crowd, and it’s just as safe. Many people avoid mandolines due to fear of injuring themselves on the blades.
Demand for this at-home appliance is continuously growing and safety is a constant priority. In response, most models now come with a hand guard to protect fingers. Some slicers also features non-skid feet so the machine doesn’t move unexpectedly while you are using it.
If you opt for a portable, lightweight option, non-skid feet may not be your priority as they can make the appliance bulky. But safety should always be considered, so make sure whichever model you choose does not wobble or flex while you are using it. This will help ensure you can slice your foods easily without a high risk for accidents.
While the handguards are crucial for safety, they mean more waste. Their protection often limits the amount of the fruit, vegetable or other food items that can be cut. For this reason, you should always expect scraps when cutting with a mandoline slicer that has a handguard. Make sure to keep a scrap bowl, compost bin or trash can nearby for quick cleanup.
Mandoline slicers are often built to accommodate a variety of heights. Whether or not your slicer is adjustable is important to consider if you plan on slicing foods in a variety of ways — think thin sticks, ribbons and chips. When your mandoline slicer has multiple height settings along with adjustable blade widths, you can be assured it is a versatile gadget that will enable you to make a number of different cuts.
Those home cooks who would rather have a simple tool that is consistent and reliable should stick to a simple, easy-to-use slicer. Look for a model that comes with a built-in catch tray to make meal prep free of messes. Catch trays can be crucial time-saving and space-saving additions to vegetable slicers. Consider your available counter space and clutter priorities before selecting your mandoline slicer. Using them to slice a large amount of food can become messy, requiring ample storage space and/or helping hands.
- If you want to slice a variety of foods with your mandoline slicer, it’s important to take durability into consideration. Slicers like the Mueller Austria are strong enough to thinly slice hearty items, such as sweet potatoes. Other models require more gentle handling using more delicate veggies.
- Variety is the spice of life — or is it? Home cooks with minimal storage may need a slicer with one blade type, while those looking to add unique elegance and flair to each dish should opt for a mandoline with multiple. This will allow them to achieve stick-straight, wavy and even julienned cuts.
- Portability is a major concern when choosing kitchen tools. Mandoline slicers are no exception to this, either.
- Vegetables, like cucumbers and onions, are the first thing most cooks use their mandoline slicer for. Beyond those delicious veggies, though, the mandoline slicer can beautifully cut potatoes for scalloped potatoes, beets for chips, zucchini for zoodles and even cabbage to top tacos. Experimentation is always encouraged.
- Make sure to use hand guards if included with your mandoline slicer to protect your hands and fingers from nasty cuts. The sharp blades can often be intimidating for users, but using safety equipment will significantly reduce any possibility of injury.
- While mandoline slicer blades are extremely sharp, they do require maintenance. To keep producing quality, razor-thin slices, you’ll need to sharpen and clean the blades on a regular basis. To get blades sharp as new, use a sharpening knife. Just be sure to wear gloves and take safety precautions when handling the blades.
- If you’re working with children who are aspiring prep chefs, it’s best to avoid the mandoline slicer. Though there are safety measures in place, it is still a dangerously sharp tool that must be used cautiously. Small chefs should keep their focus on mixing ingredients or presentation, allowing parents to monitor the slicing.
- Even with the safety features included on modern mandoline slicers, those who prioritize safety may want to purchase some heavy-duty gloves. You can find cut-resistant gloves in most kitchen or hardware stores. Investing in this extra safety precaution will help you feel at ease when using your powerful slicer.