MRE Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar
Last updated date: June 18, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Meal Replacement Bars and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Meal Replacement Bar you should buy.
Update as September 14, 2021:
Checkout The Best Meal Replacement Bar for a detailed review of all the top meal replacement bars.
Full of healthy fats, like MCT oil, the MRE Bar packs a powerful punch and gives you the energy you need to make it through the day. The low sugar content makes it ideal for anyone who has to keep track of their sugar intake. It's also an excellent option for anyone looking for a bar that is more savory than sweet. The bars come in several enticing flavors, including blueberry cobbler, banana nut bread and crunchy peanut butter cup.
In our analysis of 78 expert reviews, the MRE Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar placed 12th when we looked at the top 19 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Just when you didn’t think MRE could get any better we upped our game with MRE Bar. This real food bar will change your outlook on bars forever as the days of heavy sugar alcohols added to your bars are long gone. Just like with the powdered MRE, the bar contains only real food sources which won’t upset your stomach, cause cramping, or give you unwanted gas. The Macros A lot of bars on the shelf at the store have excess amounts of sugar ranging from 15g and even above 20g per bar! A snack or meal replacement that’s healthy limits your sugar intake and doesn’t bring it to excess. Not only that, there’s usually a ton of carbs and low protein or just a huge imbalance in the macro count with a messed-up nutrition panel. The MRE bar has a meager 6g of sugar with a healthy ratio 29g of carbohydrates and 20g of protein that’s balanced with 9g of fats. These macro counts are perfect to fuel your workout without a drastic insulin spike and perform at your best. Packing only 260 total calories per bar, it’s the perfect snack size meal while on the go, or pre-workout, that’s loaded with proper nutrition made from real food and won’t make you feel overfull. The Texture Bars can be pretty gross when they’re all chewy and one big block of toffee rather than looking like appetizing food. Nobody wants to wear their snack on their fingers because it’s sticky or have a bar that’s too hard to break apart, difficult to chew and gets stuck in your teeth. A meal replacement bar should feel like eating food! The MRE Bar easily breaks apart with an amazing food-like texture that’s pleasant to chew. MRE Bar looks like real food, tastes like real food and chews like real food. Made from Real Food When eating a meal replacement, you should be eating real food. Just like MRE powder, MRE Bar is made from real food! A lot of bars have artificial main ingredients – who wants to eat ingredients that you can’t even pronounce the name of? Unlike the rest of the bars on the shelf, MRE Bar has ingredients like oats, salmon, chicken, eggs, brown rice and sweet potato. These ingredients give the MRE bar an amazing taste, unmatched flavor and the nutrition that gives you sustained energy throughout the day. The Taste Just like the shake, the MRE Bar is absolutely delicious in any flavor. There is no guess work when it comes to flavors – you know what you’re eating as soon as it hits your tongue. Unlike other bars, MRE Bar is true to flavor name and what you read is what you get. MRE Bar is like having dessert for a snack, but with real whole food and the macros you need to fit your day. Convenience Sometimes carrying a shaker and finding water – like on a road trip or in the middle of running errands – is not always possible. Not only that, you might not want to replace an entire meal with five hundred calories from the traditional MRE, but just have a snack to curb your hunger and cravings. Your prayers have been answered with the MRE Bar, no shaker, less calories and just a snack that you can eat instead of drink. It’s the same superior ingredients made of real whole foods, but with snack size calories and more flavor than you can ask for.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Meal Replacement Bars
Preparing a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner for yourself or your entire family may not always be possible. You might wake up a little later than expected with no time to cook bacon and eggs, or you might need to run your 10-year-old from band practice to soccer camp without any time to stop for dinner. When life gets busy and you can’t cook, there’s always the option of utilizing a meal replacements bar instead.
Meal replacement bars are designed to be more than just a quick snack. They contain the nutrients you would have received if you had consumed a traditional plate of food. Some bars are marketed to help people lose weight, while others even promote an increase in energy after consumption.
While the United States does not have any specific regulations for meal replacement bars, there are a few things you’ll want to look for when shopping for one. The first is calories. Check to see that the bar has between 200 and 400 calories, as this is where you’re going to get your energy. The PROBAR Meal Bar, for example, has 370, which will give you the boost you need to continue on with your day.
Next, review the meal replacement bar’s protein content. The higher the protein, the fuller you’ll feel for a longer period of time. Some bars have protein content that’s as much as 30 grams per bar.
The nutrition label will also specify how many vitamins and minerals are in the meal replacement bar. If you know you are deficient in a certain vitamin, or that you’re not getting enough of a certain mineral in the foods you eat, you can scroll through the label to check for that information. You’ll notice there are bars that are loaded with 19 vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Selenium.
Fiber is another key ingredient often found in meal replacement bars. Like protein, the fiber will help you feel full until your next meal. It also has the added benefit of keeping your digestive system running smoothly, so that you don’t suffer from uncomfortable constipation. Some ingredients to look for that are excellent sources of fiber include chia and flax seeds.
Finally, when shopping for the best meal replacement bar, it is essential that you check the sugar content. This is true whether you suffer from diabetes or not. Too much sugar will provide a temporary burst of energy. But afterward, you’ll suffer a sugar crash that will inevitably leave you feeling tired and moody.
The Meal Replacement Bar Buying Guide
- Always read the product label if you have any known food allergies or sensitivities. Most meal replacement bars clearly label whether they are gluten-free, soy-free or contain common allergy ingredients, such as peanuts. You may also find wording like “manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts.” So even if the bar doesn’t contain peanuts, you’ll know that it may have come in contact with the legume.
- Additional information you may wish to be aware of when choosing a meal replacement bar is whether the ingredients are organically sourced and whether they are Non-GMO Project Verified. If this is important to you, the product label is where you will find the facts.
- Check that there are no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners added to the bars. You want to get your nutrition from natural sources when possible. The MRE Bar is a good example of a meal replacement bar that is made from real food only.
- Perform a taste test. There are so many different meal replacement bars on the market and each company offers a selection of flavors. You may come across such flavors as chocolate pretzel, caramel cluster, peanut butter cup, banana nut bread, almond crunch and blueberry cobbler. Try purchasing a few different bars to discover your likes and dislikes before you decide on your go-to bar.
- Consider the texture of the bar. Some bars are chewy, while others have a crunch. The bars may also be smooth or have chunks of peanuts or pretzels sticking out.
- Verify which type of meal replacement bar you are buying. Is the bar simply for taking the place of lunch or dinner when you’re on the run, or is the bar made for weight loss? Is the bar touted as a sports nutrition bar that replaces energy after a vigorous workout? You want to make sure the bar you buy will meet your specific needs.
- Keep a few bars in your purse, gym bag or car so that you always have one available when life gets busy. This will save you from being tempted to head to the nearest fast food joint, that may or may not have healthy food options.
- Meal replacement bars can be a lifesaver if you are the designated snack mom for your child’s sports team. Pair each bar with a water bottle or natural juice box and you’ll feel good about restoring the kids’ energy after a well-played game.
- While you can purchase a single meal replacement bar, it is more cost-effective to buy in bulk. When comparing prices, you’ll need to pay attention to how many bars are being sold as a unit.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide