Mehron Makeup Special FX Kit
Last updated date: October 25, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Halloween Makeup Kits and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Halloween Makeup Kit you should buy.
This kit has everything you need to create movie-quality special effects. You can get the creepiest look on the block with an eight-color palette, modeling putty, liquid latex and more. It comes with step-by-step instructions for newbies. In our analysis of 63 expert reviews, the Mehron Mehron Makeup Special FX Kit placed 2nd when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note October 25, 2019:
Checkout The Best Face Paint Makeup Kit for a detailed review of all the top halloween makeup kits.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Mehron Makeup The Mehron Story: Mehron Makeup has been the leader in professional makeup for over 90 years. Our products are used on the runway, stage, and movie sets around the world. Mehron Makeup is proud to offer distinct professional products for each of our three major makeup segments: beauty, body art, and performance. Proudly made in the USA since 1927. Mehron Special FX Kit Mehron Special FX Kit Celebrating 90 years of professional makeup, Mehron presents the Special FX All-Pro Makeup Kit! This collection of our best products is perfect for every type of Halloween guise! Mehron's Special FX Kit is equipped with all the makeup and tools needed to create beginner to the most advanced makeup applications! This professional kit includes: Step-by-step pictorial instructions for special effects, 8-color palette with 4 Mask Cover shades and 4 CreamBlend shades, 4.5 oz. Latex Clear, 1 oz. Squirt Blood, Large Powder Puff, 2 oz. 3D Clear Gel, Stage Blood, .5 oz. Coagulated Blood, 1 oz. Barrier Spray, Crepe Hair, 3 full size Stageline Makeup Brushes, Colorset Powder, 1 oz. Makeup Remover Lotion, 1 oz. Brush Cleaner, 1 oz. Spirit Gum Remover, Spirit Gum, Tooth FX Blood Red, Tooth FX Nicotine, Rigid Collodion, Fixative A, 1 oz. Hair White, Modeling Putty/Wax, Extra Flesh, Bruise ProColoRing, Stipple Sponge, Non Latex Sponges, Cotton Swabs, 2 Prosthetic Bullet Holes, and 1 Prosthetic Wound. Step-by-step pictorial instructions for special effects 8-color palette, 3 Mask Covers, 5 Color Cup Colors, Latex Clear,Squirt Blood, Large Powder Puff Learn to create a variety of looks all the way up to the most advanced special effects Everything you need any more for your next special effects project Proudly Made in the USA since 1927 Mehron Special Effects
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Halloween Makeup Kits
The most important part of dressing may be your costume. Anyone can buy a witch’s hat or a store-bought mask and call it a day, but diving into some face paint will really set your look apart. Don’t be intimidated if you’ve never stretched your creative wings with makeup before. Even a few small details or a dusting of glitter will elevate your costume.
There are several types of makeup kits, but the most popular makeup kits are either colorful palettes of face paint or upgraded kits with latex and fake blood for special effects. The face paint kits come with a rainbow of colors, a few brushes or sponges and usually a container or two of glitter.
The paint itself will be water-based, oil-based or alcohol-based. Water-based paints are easy to apply and remove, but may run if you get sweaty while trick-or-treating. Oil or grease-based paint is tougher to work with and tougher to remove, but it has better staying power. Alcohol-based (or alcohol-activated) paints will last through almost anything, but they’re expensive and very difficult to apply.
Special effects makeup kits also come with paint palettes, but the colors are closer to skin-tone shades for realistic burns, scratches and wounds. They also come with fake blood, modeling putty, fixatives and prosthetics.
Face paint makeup kits are fun for all ages. Take a look at our Tips & Advice for the nuts and bolts of buying these fun accessories.
DYWM Fun Fact
The Halloween Makeup Kit Buying Guide
- Only use paint that is designated for use on your skin when creating your look. Using crafting paint, markers or decorative glitter can cause unpleasant skin reactions.
- Be mindful of any skin sensitivities you may have before you break out your brushes and sponges. Non-toxic paints can still cause a skin reaction if they contain ingredients that you’re sensitive to. Test out your paints on a small patch of skin before you paint your entire face.
- Brush quality matters, but the brushes that came with your set should be fine for small or simple jobs. If you want to go for something more complex, look for a set of mixed flat and round artist’s brushes.
- You can use sponges to cover larger areas, but standard makeup sponges might absorb too much paint. Cut a car sponge into small pieces for an inexpensive option.
- How you remove your face paint is just as important as how you apply it. You can use plain soap and water, or baby shampoo, for water-based paints with no sealant. If you used oil-based makeup or sprayed a sealant on top of your makeup to help it last, you’ll need to use a combination of baby shampoo, cold cream and makeup remover. Don’t use baby wipes or rub too hard — this can cause skin irritation.
- Most special effects kits come with spirit gum remover, which takes off prosthetics. Make sure your kit has some before you add your fake wounds!