LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise Children’s Alarm Clock
Last updated date: November 15, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Kid Alarm Clocks and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Kid Alarm Clock you should buy.
Use the LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise Children's Alarm Clock as a tool to train your child to go to sleep at bedtime. The clock has an abundance of extra features, including a digital face that smiles when it's time to rise and shine and eyes that shut when its time to settle down and go to sleep. The six colors, three alarm clock sounds, three sound machine noises and built-in countdown timer are all reasons this kid alarm clock continues to rank at the top of the list. In our analysis of 65 expert reviews, the LittleHippo LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise Children's Alarm Clock placed 1st when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note December 19, 2019:
Checkout The Best Kid Alarm Clock for a detailed review of all the top kid alarm clocks.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Can't keep your kid in bed? Let us help with that. MELLA is the #1 most backed kid's clock and all-in-one Ready to Rise children's sleep trainer designed to keep your kid in bed longer. MELLA is a sleep trainer, alarm clock, sleep sounds machine, night light and nap timer rolled into one adorable package. Studies show that children do not fully understand the concept of time until around 8 years old. MELLA uses colors and facial expressions to teach your kid when it's time for bed and when it's okay to wake up. With MELLA, your kid can learn to stay in bed longer, giving you more sleep! Parenthood just got easier. SEE WHY THOUSANDS OF PARENTS CHOOSE MELLA. Arctic Blue MELLA ready to rise alarm clock on nightstand in kid's room, with green light MELLA is a beautifully designed children's clock, sleep trainer, night light and sound machine WHY CHOOSE MELLA? A step above the rest. Some kid clocks don't have nearly enough features. Others have feature overload with buttons parents can't keep track of. Some have nonsensical design choices. None focus on beautiful design. MELLA is a beautiful kid's clock that strikes a perfect balance between features and usability. Delivered in a beautiful package. MELLA arrives to you in elegantly designed packaging and will bring delight to both parents and children everywhere. Who says children's products can't be beautiful? Child safe. Durable. Comprised of child safe ABS and silicone, MELLA is FCC, CE, RoHS, CA65, REACH and CPSIA approved. TECH SPECS Power: Type A A/C Adapter (Input: 100-240 V, Output: 5.0 V) Cable: Detachable 4 ft USB Battery: CR2032 (preserves memory settings ONLY - MELLA must be plugged in for functionality) Dimensions: 4.25" x 4.25" x 4.50" Recommended Age: 0+ for night light/sleep sounds; 3+ for all functions Display: 5 brightness settings; 12 or 24 hour Volume: 5 volume settings Patent: D797,575 HOW MELLA WORKS Bright Purple MELLA Sleep Trainer on Sleep Mode with White Night Light Bright Purple MELLA Sleep Trainer on Play Mode with Yellow Light Bright Purple MELLA Sleep Trainer on Wake Mode with Green Light SLEEP Set the desired sleep time and every night, MELLA will go to sleep with your kid. MELLA sleeps through the night so your kid knows to stay in bed. Set an optional night light to help your child fall asleep peacefully! PLAY Half an hour before the wake time, MELLA will display a playful expression and glow a yellow light. Teach your kid to play quietly until the light turns green! WAKE Set the desired wake time and MELLA will greet your kid with a smile and glow green. It's time to start the day! MELLA's green light will stay illuminated for one hour in case your child sleeps in! Alarm clock feature ALARM CLOCK Choose from three child-friendly alarm sounds to start the day. Sleep sounds icon SLEEP SOUNDS Select from three peaceful sleep sound options: white noise, ocean and lullaby. Choose from five volume levels! Night light feature NIGHT LIGHT Create a soft room glow with five night light color options. Nap timer feature NAP TIMER Set a timed countdown for naps, time-outs and other activities - add a sounding or silent alarm! YOUR INTEGRATED SLEEP SOLUTION MELLA sleep trainer kid clock with colorful night light on shelf IN THE BOX One MELLA Ready to Rise Children's Sleep Trainer, Night Light and Sound Machine One Type A A/C Power Adapter One 4 ft detachable USB cable One CR2032 battery (preserves memory settings ONLY - MELLA must be plugged in for functionality) One instruction manual THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED With an easy-to-use user interface, MELLA is packed with features designed to be your child's all-in-one sleep gadget. MELLA is a perfect gift for birthdays, holidays, baby showers, and more! ABOUT LITTLE HIPPO LittleHippo's mission is to create beautiful, modern children's products. LittleHippo designs products that customers wouldn't necessarily think were children's products at first glance, yet still bring delight to children everywhere. With LittleHippo products, parenthood just got easier.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Kid Alarm Clocks
Sleep is so important for a child’s growth and development, but curious little ones don’t always want to go to sleep for fear of missing out on something older siblings or adults are doing. Alarm clocks are an excellent tool for teaching kids when they need to go to bed and when they need to wake up.
Alarm clocks are just one part of the often-humorous sleep timeline when it comes to kids, says our parenting and safe-sleep expert Kate Desmond.
“You spend the first several years of your child’s life trying to get them to go to sleep,” she says. “You then spend the next several years trying to get them to stay in their bed until it is an appropriate time (read: actual daytime) to get up. Finally, you graduate to the other side of the sleep rainbow in which you are begging them to get up with threats of ‘you’re going to be late’ and bribes of ‘Captain Crunch is downstairs.'”
When shopping for a child’s alarm clock, you’ll want to keep your child’s habits and age in mind.
Look for an alarm clock design that appeals to your child. There are models that remain simple and have a traditional look, units that are created in the shape of a friendly creature and clocks that come in the shape of a highly recognizable children’s toy, such as the Lego Blue Brick Kids Light Up Alarm Clock.
Select an alarm clock that has a built-in night light if your child is still a little afraid of the dark. This will give the child a sense of security so that they are able to stay in bed until it’s time to start a new day. Some clocks even come with a choice of night light colors, which is nice if your child has developed a favorite color.
“The best alarm clocks for toddlers have features like a built-in sound machine and nightlight,” Desmond says. “Bonus points if that light has multiple color options, and a color indicator that tells them when it is time to sleep and when it is time to get up.”
The Mirari OK to Wake! Alarm Clock & Night-Light, for example, turns green just like a traffic light to let kids know it’s okay to get up and start the day. This helps deter children from waking mom and dad up in the middle of the night.
Use an alarm clock that provides a little noise for children who can’t fall asleep in total quiet. The LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise Children’s Alarm Clock has a built-in sound machine with three different settings to choose from. Little ones can pick from the rain, white noise or ocean settings, which will run softly in the background.
Keep your eye out for an alarm clock model that has a snooze button for older children and teens. The Mesqool 7 Color Alarm Clock & Night Light has a nine-minute snooze that gives kids a little more time to wipe the sleep out of their eyes and mentally prepare to start a new day.
Look for any extras that one model may have over another. Some kid alarm clocks have a countdown timer for naps and time-outs, while others have animated faces that open their eyes when it’s time to rise and shine and shut their eyes when it’s time to sleep.
Older children may also appreciate a multi-functional alarm clock, says Desmond.
“For older kids, look for features like Bluetooth to stream their devices so they can wake up to their favorite tunes. Some even have USB ports to charge other electronics,” she says.
DYWM Fun Fact
Elementary-aged children do best when they get between 10 and 11 hours of sleep each night, although many fall short of this. Additionally, kids are able to have a better night’s sleep if they go to bed before nine o’clock in the evening. If you’re having trouble reaching healthy sleep goals for your child, here are a few tips you can utilize to get them on the right track:
- Avoid giving your child caffeinated beverages and foods, as caffeine is a stimulant. That means coffee, tea, chocolate, ice creams and puddings that contain chocolate, hot cocoa and breakfast cereals that contain cocoa should be removed from the menu.
- Keep televisions and tablets out of a child’s bedroom during nap and bedtime. Again, you want to remove anything that will stimulate your child and make it harder for them to go to sleep. In addition to being dark and quiet, it is also helpful if the room is a little on the cooler side.
- Create a bedtime routine and stick to it. When kids know what to expect, they’ll be less likely to protest bedtime and their bodies will become ready for sweet slumber. Bedtime routines should begin 30 to 60 minutes before it’s time to turn the lights off. They should include activities that aren’t physical. Reading a few stories, putting together a puzzle, coloring a picture or taking a bath are all good choices.
The Kid Alarm Clock Buying Guide
- Review the company’s return policy and look for any warranties. Some companies provide a 12-month warranty on alarm clocks, while others offer a money back guarantee within 30 days if you are unhappy with the product in any way.
- If you live in an area where the power goes out often, you may want to opt for a kid alarm clock that has a battery backup. This backup saves your settings, so that once power is restored, you don’t need to reset the clock.
- Older children may have phones or tablets that need charging at the end of the day. You may be surprised to discover that several alarm clocks designed for children actually come with USB charging ports. That means the devices can be conveniently plugged in before bed as part of the evening bedtime routine.
- Check the alarm clock’s format to make sure it matches your preference. Some models come in a 12-hour format, while others use a 24-hour format. There are even alarm clocks that offer both, and you can choose your desired format simply by sliding a button.
- Kids with sensory processing disorders may not do well with alarm clocks that beep loudly. Other children may not wish to be completely startled awake by a loud noise either. If that sounds like your child, consider an alarm clock model that starts off with a soft and slow buzz. This noise gradually increases until your child is fully awake and able to turn the alarm off. This is a much gentler way to wake up a child up.
- As you browse kid alarm clock prices, you’ll need to account for the design and the number of features the clock offers. The Mesqool 7 Color Alarm Clock & Night Light, Lego Blue Brick Kids Light Up Alarm Clock and Mirari OK to Wake! Alarm Clock & Night-Light are all similarly priced, however, the LittleHippo Mella Ready to Rise Children’s Alarm Clock commands a higher price due to its added sound machine, multiple light and alarm settings and cute digital face that changes expressions.