Kangaroo Felt Lined Deluxe Chess Board
Last updated: August 1, 2022
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
We looked at the top Chess Boards and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Chess Board you should buy.
This folding wooden chess set is perfect for storing or taking on the road with you. When you're finished playing, simply insert the chess pieces in the felt storage area underneath, then fold it up to tuck the chess pieces safely inside. The board is made of pine and each piece is expertly crafted with careful attention to detail.In our analysis of 33 expert reviews, the Kangaroo Felt Lined Deluxe Chess Board placed 5th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Perfect For Set Up In The Home, Kid’s Bedroom Or A Local Cafe. Kangaroo’s Decorative Wooden Chess Set Is Sure To Please, Made From The Highest Quality Construction & Smooth To The Touch Not Like Some Unfinished, Non Sanded Games On The Market. Each Chess Set Comes Fully Equipped With 16 White And 16 Dark Brown Pieces For Play With A Felt Lining That Includes Piece Enclosures. Chess Game Folds Together With A Magnet Latching Device So game Looks Classy On A Table Or Put Away. Also No Brass Hinge To Scratch The Table. We Hope You Enjoy Playing Chess! Out Of All The Wood Chess Sets And Boards, This is The Nicest! This Chess Set Wood Be A Great Gift. This Chess Board Wood Look Great On Your Table! The Best Of Wooden Chess Sets.
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Chess Board Rankings
No matter what your level of experience with chess is, you can benefit from a chess board in your home. To start, there are many decorative chess boards that will enhance your décor. You can set it up in a home office, den or other area to add a little something. If guests come to visit, they may even choose to start up a game.
But many chess board buyers plan to regularly use the chess board. Whether you’re a novice or experienced player, there are some features you’ll want to look for as you search for the right chess board. No matter what your level of play, you’ll find that some qualities in a chess board are useful to almost everyone.
One of the most important factors in a chess game is the design of the pieces. You can find chess boards with pieces that are handmade, with attention to detail, but you may pay more for that level of craftsmanship. If you’re interested in reducing cost, you can likely get by with a board that skips a little of the detail in the design of its pieces.
The board itself will likely be the most important feature for you. As an accent piece in an area of your home, you can go fairly elaborate, with tables made from natural wood, but if it’s for a game room or you’ll be storing it between uses, you can save money by buying a board with a less elegant build.
In recent years, piece storage has advanced as manufacturers have found unique approaches. Some boards build storage for your pieces into the underside of the board. If you want to store the board between uses, simply turn the board over, insert the pieces and fold the board up to keep the pieces inside. If you opt for this type of board design, it’s often best to ensure that your pieces have a way to anchor into place, either through an included pouch or slots built into the surface. Otherwise, your pieces could bang into each other as you move the board, which can damage them.
- There are multiple types of chess boards. Decide before you start shopping what type of set you need. Set types include decorative versions that serve primarily as furniture, practical and tournament sets that are built to endure frequent use, theme sets that include fun designs and travel sets that fold up so you can take your game with you.
- If you opt for a travel set, there are magnetic chess boards that will hold the pieces in place if you’re playing on a moving vehicle like a car or a plane. A magnetic chess board should be lightly magnetized so that pieces stay in place but aren’t difficult to move around.
- Look at the size of the chess pieces. While piece size is a matter of personal preference, you likely want to make sure your chess pieces are proportionate to your board. There is some wiggle room here, as long as the pieces fit comfortably within the squares. USCF regulation chess boards have squares that are 2.25 inches, with the king’s height being 3.75 inches.
- Chess pieces can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, metal and plastic. To get the darker chess pieces, manufacturers will typically use a darker wood like ebony or rosewood. Sheesham is a popular wood type for the natural brown types of chess pieces. You’ll find chess pieces made from bud rosewood are extremely rare, which means you’ll pay a premium for sets made from it.
- The type of wood used for the board itself is important. Nicer chess boards will be constructed from natural woods like beech or birch wood and feature a finish that protects it from damage.
- Weight is another important feature in chess pieces. If they’re weighted, they’ll hold their spot easier if the board is jarred. Also look for pieces that include felt on the bottom to prevent scratching the board as you move the piece around.