Joyce Chen 21-9971 14-Inch Classic Carbon Steel Nonstick Wok Set
Last updated date: August 26, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Joyce Chen Woks and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Joyce Chen Wok you should buy.
Update as August 26, 2020:
Checkout The Best Joyce Chen Wok for a detailed review of all the top joyce chen woks.
This Joyce Chen wok features a nonstick cooking surface, so food slides out of the wok and onto your plate with ease. The 1 1/2-millimeter gauge carbon steel allows for even heat distribution, which means you won't have to worry about any cold spots. Consumers will appreciate that the wok comes with a dome-shaped lid and a 12-inch bamboo spatula.
In our analysis of 22 expert reviews, the Joyce Chen Classic Carbon Steel Nonstick Wok Set placed 2nd when we looked at the top 7 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Wok set includes 14-inch wok, dome lid, 12-inch bamboo spatula, and recipe booklet
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Joyce Chen Woks
In addition to cooking Asian-inspired dishes, woks can be used to toss a salad, knead dough, cook meat for taco night, steam lobster and scramble eggs for a healthy breakfast. If you’re in the market for one of these versatile cooking instruments, you’ll want to consider Joyce Chen’s line of woks.
Determine which size wok works best for your needs. You’ll want to think about how many people you need to feed and the size of your storage space. If you plan on cooking for just yourself and one other person, a 10-ounce wok is fine. The Joyce Chen 14-Inch Carbon Round Bottom Wok is a good choice, as it serves four and comes with a removable bamboo handle that makes it a cinch to store. A 16- or 22-inch wok is best for large families and dinner parties.
Check the wok’s handle next, as you want to make sure it’s comfortable to hold. The Joyce Chen Standard 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok not only uses an ergonomic handle that stays nice and cool to the touch, but it also comes with a helper handle. The helper handle allows you to control the wok and maneuver it as needed during the cooking process. As an added bonus, this model’s handle has a built-in loop for hanging.
Review the wok’s construction. You want a model, like the Joyce Chen Classic Carbon Steel Nonstick Wok Set, that’s made from 1 1/2-millimeter gauge carbon steel. This metal is able to heat up quickly, as well as disperse the heat evenly throughout the wok. The cooking surface is also nonstick, which means your dish will slide off the wok and onto your serving platter with ease.
Consider purchasing a wok that comes with a host of extras. For example, the Joyce Chen Pro Chef Excalibur Non-Stick Wok Set comes with 10 pieces that expand what you can do with the wok. It has a 14-inch wok with matching lid, a Tempura rack, a bamboo spatula, a set of chopsticks, a steaming rack, a rice paddle, a set of tongs and a recipe book.
The Joyce Chen Wok Buying Guide
- Each of the Joyce Chen woks requires seasoning before you use them.
- Once your wok has fully cooled, you can hand wash it using mild dish soap and hot water. Stick to a non-abrasive sponge or washcloth, as steel wool scrubbers will damage the surface of the wok. If you encounter any stuck-on foods, you can create a cleaning paste from baking soda and water. Always dry the wok immediately after each cleaning.
- Never place your wok in the dishwasher.
- Joyce Chen woks are susceptible to staining when foods are left in them for prolonged periods, which means they do not double as food storage containers. You’ll need to transfer any leftovers from the wok to food-safe containers before placing them in the refrigerator.
- It’s best to stick to plastic and bamboo cooking utensils when using Joyce Chen woks.
- The company reports that heat expansion may cause the screw that secures the handle to the wok to become loose. All you need is a screwdriver to tighten the screw and secure the handle firmly to the base.
- Take the time to preheat your wok before you use it. You’ll know it’s ready for your ingredients when a drip a few drops of water in the wok and it evaporates instantly.
- Never overcrowd your wok, as this can cause the temperature to drop.
- You’ll find the Joyce Chen woks come in a variety of prices. Price is based on the size of the wok, as well as any included extras. The Joyce Chen 14-Inch Carbon Round Bottom Wok is the most affordable, and a great choice for beginners. You’ll pay a moderate price for both the Joyce Chen Standard 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok and the Joyce Chen Classic Carbon Steel Nonstick Wok Set. Since the Joyce Chen Pro Chef Excalibur Non-Stick Wok Set comes with 10 pieces, it’s able to command the highest price tag.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide