Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Lightweight Carpet Cleaner
Last updated: August 21, 2023
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
We looked at the top Carpet Cleaners and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Carpet Cleaners you should buy.
This vacuum and shampooer makes it easy to deep-clean your rugs. It has a spinning brush system that is strong enough to clean thoroughly, all while being gentle on your carpeting. It comes with an upholstery tool, a stair tool, an 8-foot hose and some carpeting cleaning solution. This powerhouse also weighs under 19 pounds.In our analysis of 57 expert reviews, the Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Lightweight Carpet Cleaner placed 4th when we looked at the top 18 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Spinscrub brush system: Safely deep clean carpets of the toughest dirt with powerful 360 degree brushes
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
Carpet Cleaners Rankings
Despite our best efforts, carpet inevitably becomes stained. Kids and pets, as well as plain old accidents, can leave your carpet in desperate need of a thorough cleaning. And let’s not forget the regular wear and tear of daily life.
Even if you don’t have a major carpet “emergency” on your hands, you’ll still need to do a thorough deep cleaning periodically to rid your carpet of the everyday dirt and grime that accumulates. You may not even realize how dingy your carpet has become until it’s been cleaned. The process can revitalize old carpet and make it look like new again. If you’ve been thinking about replacing your old grimy carpet, investing in a nice carpet cleaner may just change your mind and help you save some money.
It’s not just the improved appearance of your flooring that will inspire you. Certain types of messes can leave your carpet smelling less than fresh. Repeated pet accidents, in particular, can trap foul odors in your carpet that only vigorous machine cleaning can remove.
Carpet cleaning is also the most effective way to destroy the allergens and bacteria that your carpet harbors. Clean carpet can lay the foundation for an equally clean and healthy household.
Hiring a professional to clean your carpet is an option, but buying a machine to do it yourself can be the more cost-effective route in the long run. One factor that will determine how efficiently your device lifts embedded dirt is the size and power of the motor. For example, the BISSELL Turboclean Powerbrush Pet Carpet Cleaner has a four-row rotating power brush that makes it ideal for sucking up ground-in dirt.
Another factor to consider in buying a carpet cleaner is the tanks. Separate tanks for water and the cleaning solution will make for quicker and easier refilling, and the smaller the tank, the more you’ll have to stop to refill it.
You should also consider how heavy and cumbersome the machine is and weigh that against your home’s needs. If you need to bring it up and down several flights of stairs, for example, a lighter model. There are a few that weighs in at just over 3 pounds, which will make the job a lot easier.
Some models also offer versatility, as they can easily switch between an upright cleaner and a portable spot cleaner for extra-tough spots and stains.
- Before the cleaning, you should conduct a quick pre-clean. Much like you wouldn’t leave your dirty clothes lying around before letting a professional cleaning team in, you’ll have to do a little legwork before you break out your carpet cleaning machine. First, vacuum your carpet as normal to pick up any surface debris. Think of it like sweeping your hard floors before you mop them.
- Next, you’ll want to pre-treat any especially tough stains to give a little boost to the cleaner’s power. You can use a commercial solution, or there are a number of surprising substances you probably already have that can do the trick, depending on the type of stain. For example, club soda is great for beer and wine stains while dishwashing detergent works well on grease stains.
- Make sure you move furniture out of the way before getting started. Some types of wood furniture can release dye into a wet carpet and stain it. The same goes for metal, which can leave rust stains. This will also make it much easier for you to keep track of where you’ve already vacuumed, as well as avoid stepping in areas you’ve just cleaned.
- Give your carpet plenty of time to dry. How long that takes depends on the carpet’s thickness. Usually, it will take between four and six hours after cleaning before it’s fully dry and safe to walk on again.
- When your carpet is dry, vacuum it again for a perfect finish.
- Your carpet cleaner can pull double duty in a lot of cases. It’s not just your carpets that can be cleaned with the device. Some models come equipped with an eight-foot, ready-to-use hose and upholstery tool that can be used on furniture, stairs and other hard-to-reach spaces.
- Don’t wait until your carpet is downright filthy to clean it. Think of it like going to the dentist. If you keep up with regular cleanings, you’ll get better results.
- With that in mind, prevention can be the best medicine. No matter how tidy you are, your carpet will eventually need a deep clean. But you can reduce the frequency and effort you put in by taking steps to keep your carpet in the best shape possible in between cleanings. Just like you should brush and floss regularly between dentist visits, use good doormats at the entrances to your home, and consider asking people to remove their shoes before entering your home (including your kids!). You may also consider investing in some large area rugs, depending on the space.