Etekcity Digital Kitchen Weight Scale
Last updated date: June 25, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Food Scales and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Food Scale you should buy.
The streamlined stainless steel appearance of this scale looks modern and cleans like a dream. It offers precise and reliable measurements, is simple to use, and requires little space. The scale runs on AAA batteries. In our analysis of 289 expert reviews, the Etekcity Etekcity Digital Kitchen Weight Scale placed 2nd when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note June 25, 2020:
Checkout The Best Food Scale for a detailed review of all the top food scales.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Order Now and Enjoy the Convenience of Our 2-Year Warranty! This Etekcity digital scale has endless uses for personal or commercial environments - great for homes, kitchens, offices, and more. The scale has an easy-to-read LCD display with beautiful clear backlit. With a capacity of 11lb (5kg), you can weigh a variety of items with ease. You will be surprised at all the uses you will have for this product. Weighing Functions You can easily choose among measurement in oz, lb:oz, g, ml (Milk & Water). This digital scale measures in precise increments of 0.04oz (1 g) to accurately weigh your items. Power is provided by 2 AAA batteries (included), making the scale portable and ensuring that you can easily acquire replacement batteries. Tare Function The tare function allows the user to deduct the weight of a container from the total weight in order to determine the net weight of the contents excluding the weight of the container which holds them. Clear Display and Auto-off The scale has an easy-to-read backlit display, staying 30 seconds for easily reading. To save energy, the scale also features an auto-off function, allowing the scale to turn off after 2 minutes inactivity. Do not mix new and used batteries to power the device Specifications Weight Capacity: 176oz / 5000g / 11 lbs Units: g / oz / lb:oz /ml (Milk & Water) Measurement Increments: 0.04 oz / 1 g Minimum Measurement: 3g-5g Auto-Off: 2 Minutes Power: 2 x AAA 1.5V DC Dimensions: 7.32 x 5.70 x 0.67 inches Package Contents 1 x Digital Kitchen Scale 1 x User Manual 2 x AAA 1.5V DC batteries Do not mix new and used batteries to power the device
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Food Scales
When shopping for a food scale, considering several factors could help you select the best option for your kitchen.
Julie Chernoff, a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier, the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals says that first and foremost, you want a scale that is accurate.
“You are looking for a digital scale that is accurate, or what good is it?” says Chernoff. Also look for an easy-to-clean, flat weighing surface that will support different sized containers and bowls, a legible digital display that can change from grams to ounces at the touch of a button as well as zero out quickly and has batteries that can be easily replaced, she says.
Think about where you will keep the scale when it is not in use. A compact scale that you can tuck away in a cabinet will likely be easier to use and maintain than a bulky model that permanently consumes limited counter space.
Look at the parts of a scale to determine how easy it will be to keep clean. A digital scale with seams, crevices or buttons and dials that protrude from the device can collect food and dust particles, making it a chore to wipe up.
Some scales have built-in bowls, while others have trays on which you can place packages, containers or food. Taking into account how you plan to use the scale can help you decide which will be the best choice. In addition, making sure that the display is legible even when a bowl or plate is placed on the scale will make it simpler to use in the long run.
There are numerous uses for a digital food scale. For instance, a kitchen scale is an essential piece of equipment for anyone who bakes.
“Professional bakers weigh out ingredients for consistency’s sake, and you should, too,” Chernoff recommends. “Measuring by weight rather than volume is foolproof, eliminating the worry of air pockets or clumping in dry ingredients and eyeballing the meniscus of liquids in measuring cups.
“When feeding my sourdough starter, I rely heavily on my scale,” says Chernoff. “When doubling baking recipes, I find weighing ingredients so much easier and less messy.”
Kitchen scales are useful for more than just baking.
“A food scale is also a great help to people who are dieting,” suggests Chernoff. Weighing out meals and snacks is helpful when counting calories, carbs or other nutritional information.
Of course, determining your budget when browsing digital food scales will also be beneficial. When you know what features are important to you and how much you want to spend, you can pick the perfect kitchen scale for your needs.
DWYM Fun Fact
Weighing foods and other goods is hardly a new concept. Researchers have found evidence that ancient Egyptians used the balance for weighing objects as early as the beginning of the I Dynasty (3400 B.C.).
In 1980, Richard C. Loshbough and Edward G. Pryor applied for a patent on an invention described as “a scale system which employs a microcomputer forming an integral part of the analog to digital conversion.”
Sometimes, scales do more than provide the weight of an object. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz was a 17th-century scholar with degrees in philosophy in law who also studied subjects including mathematics, science and mechanical studies. Among the work for which he is known is a system of calculation he created. The system, using a center beam balance and weights on either side, used only two numbers: 0 and 1. This system became known as the binary system.
The Food Scale Buying Guide
- If you are watching your waistline, you might want to look for a food scale that is small and lightweight enough to tuck inside of your purse, briefcase or bag so that you can weigh and measure your food on the go.
- Look for a kitchen scale that is multifunctional. For instance, some digital food scales include added features such as a kitchen timer or a food thermometer. If a piece of equipment is going to take up some real estate in your kitchen, it might as well earn its keep.
- Sending an oversized greeting card? Make sure you use the right amount of postage by popping it on your food scale and checking the weight.
- If you are serious about coffee, experts say that weighing your beans before grinding or your grounds before brewing rather than scooping them out with a tablespoon could make each cup taste noticeably better. Try 10 grams of ground coffee per 180 ml of water.
- An added benefit of weighing ingredients instead of measuring them is that there is less to clean up. Instead of ending up with a sink filled with tablespoons, teaspoons and measuring cups, you could add the ingredients to the mixing bowl on the scale, pressing the tare button between each one to zero out the weight and obtain an accurate reading.
- Whip up the perfect quarter- or third-pound patties the next time you are grilling burgers by weighing the ground meat. You can even weight out consistently sized meatballs, cookies or even bowls of ice cream if you choose.
- Recipes that include odd or bumpy ingredients, such as fresh produce, will come out much better when the items are weighed. Trying to measure a cup of brussels sprouts or eyeball a pound of sweet potatoes is a challenge even for the most seasoned home cook. Placing them on your food scale makes measuring fast and easy.