Coleman Screened Canopy Tent with Instant Setup
Last updated date: September 12, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Canopy Tents and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Canopy Tent you should buy.
In our analysis of 95 expert reviews, the Coleman Coleman Screened Canopy Tent with Instant Setup placed 5th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note March 17, 2020:
Checkout The Best Canopy (Pop-Up) Tents for a detailed review of all the top canopy tents.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
The Coleman Back Home Instant Screenhouse assembles in three minutes in just three steps to create a shady, bug-free area outdoors. Great for picnics, barbeques, campouts, and more, this screened canopy is made with UVGuard material that offers 50+ UPF protection from the sun's dangerous rays. The rugged Polyguard 2X double-thick fabric stands up to the rigors of the outdoors, so you can use this screened tent season after season. This screen tent features telescoping poles with pinch-free Comfort Grip technology that allow you to set it up quickly, creating 90 square feet of shade with an 8-foot 4-inch center height. Ground stakes and pre-attached guy lines are included for added stability. Once set up, the screen walls offer bug-free lounging, while two large doors provide easy entry in the front and at the back. And when it’s time to pack up, the Coleman Back Home Instant Screenhouse can be stored and transported in the included easy-pull wheeled carry bag, which fits inside most cars.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Canopy Tents
Whether you are heading to the beach for the day or perhaps tailgating before a game, canopy tents are the best to keep you protected from the elements. There are several types of canopy tents. Pop-up tents are the most convenient for situations like these. Take your time considering the uses and events you will use the pop-up tent for, and with those in mind, you’ll be sure to find the best canopy pop-up tent.
“Canopy tents are great for offering protection from the wind and sun. They’re also very versatile,” says outdoor and camping expert Shawna Newman, editor-in-chief of Active Weekender. “You can take them camping, to the beach, tailgating at the big game, or even use one to setup a booth at your local farmer’s market.”
One factor you’ll want to consider is size. How many people will be using your tent? Do you need a lot of space at the top in addition to floor space?
“It’s important that you buy the proper size canopy tent, otherwise tall people will have to crouch when standing inside,” Newman explains. “A model with a cathedral ceiling is ideal for headspace.”
Additionally, you’ll want to look for quality. Look at the materials the tents are made from and the features they offer.
“The best canopy tents are made of a thicker water-resistant polyester,” says Newman. “The thickness should be labeled on the product for you to see. The thicker it is, the more durable it is and the more rain it can handle. If you want maximum UV protection on sunny days, then the best options for this are the models with a UV-protection vinyl coating. Sidewalls, which offer protection from sun and wind, are another hallmark of a higher quality canopy tent.”
There is nothing worse than spending the day on the beach, enjoying the sun and sand just to come home and suffer from sunburn the following days. Even sunscreen cannot protect you from the strength of the sun for an entire day. So plan ahead and pack a canopy tent for those times. If this is the main purpose of buying a canopy pop-up tent, perhaps consider one that offers UV ray protection. This E-Z Up Sierra II Canopy Tent will be ideal with excellent 99% UV protection and two height options with adjustable legs. In addition, the tent is sold with a convenient, water-resistant carrying case.
If you are looking to “up” your tailgating game, you may want a canopy that can withstand any wind or rain. Since you may not know the terrain on which you’ll be setting the tent on, it would be a good idea to find a canopy that offers a stronger steel frame or some sort of free-standing stabilizer.
The ABC Canopy Pop-up Canopy Tent has it all for tailgating. This 10 x 10-foot canopy features extremely durable material that offers UPF of 50 and UV protection. It not only comes with stakes for grassy or sandy areas, but also four sandbags to attach to the legs for harder surfaces that the stakes won’t penetrate. Add the handy wheeled case that it easily slips back in to, and you will have yourself an incredible asset for tailgating.
Now, if you are an event vendor and offer your services for outdoor events, you most certainly want to have a canopy tent that is not only beautiful in presentation, but also protects your equipment from the rain, wind and sun.
For disc jockeys, bartenders and photo booth vendors, the Eurmax Ez Pop Tent Instant Canopy offers the best resolution for outdoor events. With drop-down sides, this tent will surely keep you safe from rain and wind and give you the display you want. The added perk of sandbags for the legs provides stability through stormy weather. When it’s time to pack up, break it down in a few easy steps and slip it into the rolling storage bag included. You won’t want to ever be without this tent for an outdoor event.
When you want a simple tent that will give you coverage during your backyard cookout, the Coleman Instant Pop-up Canopy Tent is the one. The large 13X13 foot spread of this tent allows for more mingling space underneath. The roof vent resists pooling when you have rainstorms, and the unparalleled three-minute setup will help prepare you for impending storm clouds in no time. The heavy-duty material is UV protective, and the corner stakes keep the canopy portion from flipping upwards in cases of wind gusts. In addition, the carrying bag has wheels on the bottom for easy transportation.
There is no doubt, a canopy pop-up tent is an asset to have for all events. You will find that it pays for itself after just one use and prevents those hefty rental fees when you absolutely need one. These are just a few of the best canopy pop-up tents available today.
When using your tent, just remember to add the sandbags and anchor the legs properly, for safety reasons.
“A swift gust of wind will have it airborne if you don’t have those legs securely anchored,” says Newman.
DWYM Fun Fact
- Although the idea of tents has been around since the beginning of time, it was not until the 20th century that the recreational tent was in the spotlight. Before this time, the military was the driving force behind innovative tent designs.
- They experimented with different types of materials that would work in all terrains and climates to best protect their troops. Way back in the day, people used cow skin as the canopy material for its water-resistance and sturdiness.
- Throughout the experimental stages, soldiers encountered some tight spots with tents. At one point, soldiers called their sleeping tents “pup tents” because they were not even roomy enough for a grown dog. Modern day camping tents can fit entire families for a comfortable camping trip.
- Today’s canopy pop-up tents are an incredibly easy-to-use alternative to previously designed tents that required hours of setup to use. You’ll appreciate the modern convenience of these canopy pop-up tents every time you set one up in just a handful of minutes.
The Canopy Tent Buying Guide
- Aluminum frame tents are best if you are looking for a lightweight option that is easy to setup and break down. However, aluminum will bend easier if confronted with strong winds or rough use.
- For an area that often sees tough winds and gusty weather, a steel frame canopy is the one to consider. The sturdy construction of steel will not allow for easy bending even in the toughest of weather.
- Although a dark color may be your first choice for your canopy tent, remember that dark color fabrics will retain heat. So, if you live in an area that is usually hot, try to go for a lighter color.
- Color will block UV rays better than a white canopy. So, if this is going to be primarily a beach tent, try for a light color to keep you protected from the sun but not sweltering in the heat.
- To give you a general idea of what the size means, a 10 x 10 foot canopy allows for roughly 16-20 people to stand and mingle, 10-12 around a table, and roughly 3-4 beach chairs underneath.
- Most canopies consist of polyester fabric. This comes in a variety of thicknesses. So when you see a rating for the fabric, it is referring to the thickness. The thicker the material, the better.