Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad
Last updated date: July 2, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Heating Pads and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Heating Pad you should buy.
You have plenty of customizability with this heating pad, which offers temperature control to let you choose the perfect temperature. This pad also allows you to choose between dry and moist heat, depending on your own preferences. It also offers a timer that lets you set your heating pad to automatically turn off after a certain timeframe. We liked that it comes with a velcro strap that makes it easy to wrap the pad around the affected area. Plus, we felt it had a nice, substantial weight. In our analysis of 66 expert reviews, the Chattanooga Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad placed 1st when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note March 18, 2020:
Checkout The Best Heating Pad for a detailed review of all the top heating pads.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
The Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad delivers intense, moist heat therapy which provides temporary relief from pain associated with arthritis, muscle spasm and inflammation caused by strain and tension; intended for use on the back, shoulder, wrist, stomach, knee or foot. Included is a flannel covering which draws moisture from the air and as the heating pad temperature rises, the moisture is released onto the skin. It features an easy-to-use digital hand control that allows you to program and monitor the temperature and treatment time. Control the temperature between 88 and 166 degrees Fahrenheit (31 and 74 degrees Celsius) and select the duration between 1 and 60 minutes. A lockout mode protects against inconsistent changing of the control settings throughout treatment. UL and cUL classified.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Heating Pads
If you suffer from back pain, you likely already know the benefits of heat therapy. Just a short time on a heating pad loosens back muscles, relieving tension and helping with spasms and stiffness. But finding the right heating pad can take some time, especially with so many good ones on the market.
One decision you’ll find you need to make is whether you want a pad that provides only dry heat, only moist heat or a combination of both. There is no clear answer as to which is better. The truth is, moist heat works better for some back pain sufferers and dry heat works better for others. Experimenting with both can help you figure out which helps you most.
Temperature control is another feature to consider. It can be tough to find that just-right setting, but it helps to have multiple choices. If “low” and “high” are your only options, you may find one is too hot and one isn’t hot enough. In addition to temperature control, consider whether a timer is important to you. Being able to set a specific time and trust your heating pad to shut off when the time is up may give you peace of mind, especially if you like to nap on it.
Coverage area is also something to consider. Not all heating pads are sized the same, so you may find some don’t quite provide the comfort you need for the part of your back where you’re experiencing pain. You’ll only get frustrated if you have to constantly move it around.
It may not be your most important factor, but it’s still important to consider how easy it will be to clean your heating pad at least occasionally. Some heating pads come with covers that you can simply toss in the washer for ease of cleanup.
DWYM Fun Fact
Heat therapy for aches and pains is nothing new. In fact, in Ancient Greece and Egypt, physicians used the sun’s rays to help people find relief. Thermal baths, mud baths and even hot air caverns attached to volcanic sources were all part of this therapy at one time or another. In addition to these therapies, those experiencing issues such as muscle spasms were treated using hot water, steam and sand. As medicine evolved, hot vapor baths were used for fevers, arthritis and other conditions. Sweat baths continue to serve as therapy for various ailments in some cultures to this day.
The Heating Pad Buying Guide
- If you’re looking for a heating pad that lets you choose between moist and dry heat, go with the Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad, Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad or the Sunbeam Neck Heating Pad.
- Temperature preferences can vary from one person to the next. For those who want extreme heat, the Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad and OKAMOTO USA Beyond BodiHeat Heat Pads can tend to be too hot for some people. In fact, the Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad reaches 112 degrees.
- To help you find that perfect setting, though, some heating pads offer multiple levels. The Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad ranges from 88 degrees to 166 degrees Fahrenheit, with a control that lets you move the dial in 1-degree increments. The Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad has six heat setting options. The Sunbeam Neck Heating Pad has four heat settings.
- OKAMOTO USA Beyond BodiHeat Heat Pads are completely different from other heating pads. These disposable pads are meant to stay in place for 12 hours, with no cord or battery power necessary.
- Keeping your heating pad clean can be an ongoing challenge. The Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad and Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad have covers that can be removed for easy cleaning. With the Sunbeam Neck Heating Pad, you can machine wash the pad after removing the cord.
- Experts recommend limiting the amount of time you spend using a heating pad since it could cause burns with prolonged use. A timer can help with that. The Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad has a timer that lets you choose a time up to 60 minutes. With the Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad and Sunbeam Neck Heating Pad, you get a two-hour auto shutoff feature to keep you safe.
- The Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad has a lockout mode that keeps you from accidentally changing the settings while you’re using it.
- Dimensions are especially important with heating pads since you’re looking for them to cover a specific area. Look at the actual measurements, rather than promises like “Extra Large” in the product description. The Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad is a generous 14” X 27”, with the Sunbeam Neck Heating Pad following at 14” X 22”. Noticeably smaller than those two is the Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad, at 12” X 15”. Disposable OKAMOTO USA Beyond BodiHeat Heat Pads are only 3.75” X 5.125”, probably making them better for targeted heating.
- The very thing that makes a smaller heating pad undesirable for widespread back pain, though, makes it great if your pain tends to move from your shoulder to your back. The Sunbeam Neck Heating Pad is actually better for your neck and shoulder area than your back, but it works for both.
- You may spend quite a bit of time with your heating pad in place, so it’s important that it’s comfortable. The Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad has a plush side that feels good against the skin but isn’t so thick that it causes you to sweat. The Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad is built with microplush fibers to keep you comfortable. The Sunbeam Neck Heating Pad is not only soft and comfortable, but it has a magnetic closure that helps hold it in place.
- One of the biggest challenges with a heating pad is that it requires either a cord or some other heating source to provide consistent warmth. The best thing about OKAMOTO USA Beyond BodiHeat Heat Pads is that they require no heat source whatsoever, letting you wear them wherever you go for up to 12 hours. The Pure Enrichment PureRelief XL King Size Heating Pad and Sunbeam Neck Heating Pad both have extra-long power cords to make it easy for you to move around during the short time period in which you’re wearing them.