Castle Art Supplies Colored Pencils Set, 72 ct
Last updated date: August 24, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Colored Pencils and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Colored Pencil you should buy.
This colored pencils set arrives in a decorative tin and uses three trays to keep the pencils neat and organized. The quality wood pencil casing is easy to sharpen, while the soft touch lead glides on your paper with minimal effort. In fact, the colors are so smooth that you can actually blend them or layer them as needed. In our analysis of 77 expert reviews, the Castle Art Supplies Castle Art Supplies Colored Pencils Set, 72 ct placed 3rd when we looked at the top 13 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 24, 2020:
Checkout The Best Colored Pencils for a detailed review of all the top colored pencils.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
Castle Art Supplies, Pencils, Pens, Paint, Paper Perfect for coloring, sketching, drawing and doodling - this clever compact set is just bursting with beautiful colors to keep aspiring artists, coloring book fans, doodlers and school kids happy. These best-selling ‘Soft Series’ colored pencils are the perfect companion for artists of all ages and abilities…younger ones will delight in how easy it is to ‘make their mark’ as the rich pigment flows effortlessly onto the paper, whilst more experienced artists will be drawn into a world of honing technique and experimentation. Get to grips today with these top-quality colored pencils - the perfect way to ignite imagination and to inspire the artist within. Effortless Blending, velvety smooth cores Numbered Pencils, high quality basswood to eliminate breakages Happy artists Immerse yourself in the joy of creating artwork that fulfills you and inspires others! Been let down by inferior products in the past? Yeah, we know that feeling too…that’s why we are committed to providing you with high-quality, reliable art supplies you can trust. So, don’t put your next masterpiece at risk…instead join thousands of happy artists who have fallen in love with our products and opt for the Brand that puts your happiness first. High quality, reliable art supplies beautiful and functional tin box Professional Artist Quality and Confidence Simply Add a Bow! From the moment your Castle Art set arrives you will experience the high quality we are renowned for. Designed to be beautiful & functional, there is no need to wrap the presentation tin box which also protects the pencils and doubles up as a handy storage tin. The Castle Artist says… "The choice of colors is endless; from an impressively blend-able spectrum I cherry-pick smaller ‘sets within a set’, to suit any project at hand. I might take a selection of earthy tones for landscapes, flesh tones for portraits or bountiful blues for my seascapes. Enjoy your own Castle Arts experience!" Reliable & Trusted Here at Castle HQ we have developed an enviable reputation for genuinely listening to our customers. Your experience is important to us and often helps us to improve our products, making them even more enjoyable for you to use. Experience the Castle difference today.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Colored Pencils
For children, colored pencils are a cornerstone of fun activities. They are used at home and at school to make whimsical pictures, complete homework and doodle aimlessly. However, in addition to being popular with kids, colored pencils are now also part of an adult pastime. These days, you’ll find adults — professional artists and beginners alike — creating beautiful works of art using colored pencils. Available in dozens of colors, the pencils are used for drawing, sketching, shading and coloring.
It’s more than just creating pretty pictures. Coloring uses both sides of the brain. The logical side of the brain helps people to color inside the lines, while the creative side is involved in selecting colors. People also improve their fine motor skills while coloring, especially while working on intricate patterns and detailed drawings.
The act of coloring actually enables the frontal lobe to open, which is the part of the brain that controls organizational and problem-solving skills. This improves the level of focus. It allows people to concentrate on the physical action of coloring in the moment while putting other thoughts aside. This can be very relaxing for people who feel stress and anxiety. In fact, coloring can help relax the amygdala, which is the fear center of the brain. In some people, coloring can actually create a meditative state by calming and focusing the restless mind.
For people who have experienced trauma or are currently going through a traumatic time, coloring can help them control the body’s stress activation area, known as the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system. This enables people to develop better coping mechanisms and higher levels of resiliency, which can help them navigate difficult experiences.
In addition to having many health and wellness benefits, coloring is also a great way to have fun and use your creativity. Many people find coloring enjoyable because they get to pick different hues, create eye-catching patterns and drawings and focus on an entertaining activity.
DWYM Fun Fact
The way colored pencils are made is unique compared to other kinds of pencils. Regular pencils have a core that consists of graphite or clay. On the other hand, the core of colored pencils is made out of wax, pigments, binding agents and additives.
Pencils designed for professional use by artists usually have higher concentrations of pigments, as compared to pencils that are made for children or novices. Professional-grade pencils also boast the quality of lightfastness, which means that the pigment keeps its original color appearance when exposed to light, like that from the sun. Many professional-grade colored pencils are also resistant to water, whereas other colored pencils may not be.
Colored pencils that are made for children or beginners are often erasable, whereas professional-grade colored pencils are not. This can be an important quality for adults who are just starting to color for fun or relaxation. This way, if you accidentally color outside the lines or select the wrong color, you have the option to go back and erase and start again.
The Colored Pencil Buying Guide
- Regardless of whether you’re a professional artist or just dabbling in coloring, you’ll want to check the number of colors you get in a package when purchasing a set. For those that create intricate patterns and unique designs, you may be looking for a wide range of colors. If you already have many colored pencils and are just looking to add on a few additional ones, a smaller range of colors might work for you. The Arteza Professional Colored Pencils, 72 ct comes with 72 unique colors. On the other hand, the Crayola Presharpened Colored Pencils Set, 36-Count comes with 36 different colors while the Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils, 150-Count comes with 150 unique colors.
- “You can buy colored pencils in sets or singly,” says our resident arts and crafts expert, Amy Markham. She’s an art educator and the creator of the art podcast Starling. “If you use one color more than the others in a set you can easily replace that one without having to purchase an entire set again,” she notes.
- It can be frustrating when the core of the pencil breaks while coloring, and you have to pause your activity to sharpen your pencil. That’s why a break-resistant core is important for many coloring enthusiasts. The Arteza Professional Colored Pencils, 72 ct specify a break-resistant core. Other sets of colored pencils have a thick and robust lead core, which makes it difficult for them to chip and crack.
- The core of your colored pencils also determines how useful they are for different drawing effects. “Hard-core pencils are best for creating sharp lines and drawing in details,” says Markham. “They are also great for lettering and outlines. Soft-core pencils are best for shading, blending and layering.”
- There are two main techniques for using colored pencils: layering and burnishing. Layering is generally used at the start by coloring different colors on top of one another to create unique shades and tones. Burnishing involves additional layering and blending the layered colors until the appearance is smooth and shiny. For many artists and coloring enthusiasts, being able to layer, shade and blend colors is a vital factor when choosing coloring pencils. If the lead core is too hard, then the pigment won’t blend in and shading will not be smooth. The Arteza Professional Colored Pencils, 72 ct have a soft core designed to glide smoothly across the paper, while other models feature ultra-smooth and even color laydown. The Castle Art Supplies Colored Pencils Set, 72 ct has quality lead that is designed for an easy laying down of color.
- Having a box or case to store your colored pencils makes it easy to manage the clutter that can come from having dozens of pencils. The Arteza Professional Colored Pencils, 72 ct comes in a metal durable, double-hinged storage tin case. The Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils, 150-Count comes in a standard packaging box, while the Crayola Presharpened Colored Pencils Set, 36-Count comes in a peggable, see-through window box.
- For many people, professionals and novices alike, affordability is an important factor to consider when making a purchase. The Crayola Presharpened Colored Pencils Set, 36-Count is a low-cost and very affordable option, while the Arteza Professional Colored Pencils, 72 ct and the Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils, 150-Count are both higher in price.