Canson Heavyweight Mixed Media 5.5 x 8.5-Inch Drawing Pad
Last updated date: January 10, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Drawing Pads and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Drawing Pad you should buy.
Update as January 10, 2022:
Checkout The Best Drawing Pad for a detailed review of all the top drawing pads.
Made from fine-textured, 5.5-by-8.5-inch heavyweight acid-free paper, this drawing pad is designed for both wet and dry media. When you use this paper, you'll enjoy easy blending and effortless erasing.
In our analysis, the Canson Canson Heavyweight Mixed Media 5.5 x 8.5-Inch Drawing Pad placed 4th when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Made of heavyweight, fine texture paper. Heavy sizing for wet and dry media. Erases well and blends easily. Great for use with pencil, colored pencil, pastel, and marker. 5. 5″ x 8. 5″ pads contain 60 sheets of 98 pound/160 gram acid free paper. Canson XL Mix Media is the popular choice when experimenting with a variety of mediums. Great for acrylic, watercolor, charcoal, pastel, marker, pen or pencil, this pad features heavyweight paper with heavy sizing for both wet and dry media. The fine texture surface erases well and blends easily, and the wire-bound pad allows easy access to micro-perforated true size sheets.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Drawing Pads
Although electronic drawing tablets are very popular these days, paper drawing pads and sketchbooks will never go out of style. They come in a variety of paper sizes and thicknesses, and there are a lot of options available for these versatile artistic tools.
If you are getting one for a young child who has never drawn much in the past, start out with something inexpensive and then gauge their level of interest over time. Your little one might have a talent for drawing, and you can help them expand their skills into other kinds of mediums and surfaces, if appropriate.
Drawing pads with thicker, heavier paper work better with markers, watercolor paint and other wet mediums, while lighter-weight paper is better suited for dry media. The texture or “tooth” of the paper is also important. When paper has more grooves and pits on its surface, it holds pigment from crayons, pastels and charcoal well. Use smooth paper for inks and pencils.
Sketchbooks can also have perforated sheets and binding, which makes it easier to turn the pages without making marks. Look for spiral-bound books if you prefer this option. Otherwise, try to find sheets that can be torn out without holes in them.
You will also need to know what size paper to get. Smaller drawing pads, like those of a standard 5.5-inch by 8.5-inch size, for example, are more portable but have less room for drawing.
The Drawing Pad Buying Guide
- Drawing pads are not only for artists; they are part of the creative process and are great for jotting down visual ideas that can’t easily be expressed into words.
- The sketchbook’s orientation is also important. Portrait orientation is vertical, with the binding running down the length. Landscape orientation is horizontal when open, with binding running down the width. The name of each describes the types of artwork they are best used for.
- Look for a durable cover for the pad if you plan on taking it out of your house.
- You can find drawing pads with paper in other colors besides traditional white if you want to use colorful pens for some really eye-catching sketches.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide