BELLA 12-inch Copper Electric Skillet With Lid
Last updated date: January 22, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Electric Skillets and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Electric Skillet you should buy.
Unlike Teflon-coated skillets, which can wear out with misuse, the BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet uses ceramic nonstick technology. To further enhance durability, the surface is coated in titanium. However, this type of coating isn't dishwasher safe, so you'll need to wash this skillet by hand. In our test kitchen, we loved that it can double as a serving dish and found that the copper got nice and hot. In our analysis of 138 expert reviews, the BELLA BELLA 12-inch Copper Electric Skillet With Lid placed 1st when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note October 21, 2019:
Checkout The Best Electric Skillet for a detailed review of all the top electric skillets.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
The BELLA Ceramic Copper Titanium 12″ x 12″ Skillet has a unique ceramic non-stick coating that is eight times more durable and cooks up to 30 percent faster than standard non-stick coatings. The coating is reinforced with titanium for outstanding durability and resistance to metal utensils. This multi-functional unit is a must for every kitchen. It can roast, fry, sauté, steam, be used as a buffet server and much more. It is perfect for family meals like omelets, ratatouilles, risotto, paella, tomato sauce with meatballs, and can cook 10 chicken drumsticks at once. When the meal is ready, remove the probe and serve food straight from Skillet. The non-stick ceramic coating allows for no fuss cooking and clean-up is just a quick wipe away.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Electric Skillets
Electric skillets have long been associated with activities like frying chicken and making pancakes. However, some of today’s electric skillets pack in much more versatility. With the right electric skillet, you can avoid firing up the oven or stove, potentially saving money on your utility bill. This is especially true if you buy a skillet designed for energy efficiency.
In addition to saving energy, electric skillets can be very convenient. Some skillets allow you to use them as buffet servers, which means when you’re cooking for a large group, you can merely put it on “warm” and set it on the counter to allow your guests to serve themselves. Best of all, when you’re finished using it, you can simply slip it into a kitchen cabinet or closet.
Cleaning your skillet can be a bit more complicated than typical pots and pans. There are heat controls on skillets that shouldn’t be submerged in water. It’s important to consult the user manual that comes with your skillet for cleaning instructions. With many skillets, you can detach the part that comes into contact with food and put it in the dishwasher.
Most of today’s skillets have nonstick surfaces that make cleanup a breeze. However, there are specific instructions with nonstick coatings. The most well-known nonstick brand, Teflon, is especially prone to flaking off with heavy use. To extend the life of the coating, you should avoid using metal cooking utensils or cooking spray. However, you may find that a little butter or cooking oil can enhance your pan’s nonstick features.
Newer types of ceramic nonstick coating boost durability and give you a little more protection if you use metal spatulas and spoons. Many safety-conscious consumers also like that ceramic nonstick technology doesn’t leach chemicals into the food. However, experts say the concerns about chemicals in Teflon mostly referred to those manufactured before 2013. Today’s coatings have been proven safe for use in cooking.
One feature that doesn’t get as much attention during griddle shopping is the lid. If you plan to use your griddle as a buffet server, a glass lid can make it easy to see what’s inside without lifting the lid. Some lids are also vented, which lets steam escape. Without that feature, you’ll have to occasionally lift it to let steam out to ensure the food inside cooks properly. Some griddles even have adjustable vents on the lid, which can come in handy for controlling the level of steam escaping.
DWYM Fun Fact
The basic concept of a griddle began with the cooking surface itself. Metal griddles have a long history of use among many cultures, including in Mexico, where clay griddles are used to cook tortillas and toast foods like seeds and nuts. Originally, griddles were built using brick, stone or clay. But the first Teflon-coated electric grill hit the market in the 1960s, allowing consumers to make the same delicious foods they’d tasted in diners, where larger griddle surfaces were used. You can buy non-electric griddles that you use on your stovetop, but electric griddles remain popular as a way to cook a variety of foods.
The Electric Skillet Buying Guide
- Before you start shopping, think about what you’ll be cooking on your new griddle. Today’s models have much more versatility than the skillets your parents and grandparents likely used. That means you can keep the stove and oven powered off and save electricity. The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet will fry, roast, grill, stew and bake, which means you can even make cakes in it, in addition to casseroles and stews. With the BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid, you can fry, bake, sauté, steam and more. The skillet allows you to make items like ratatouilles and risottos in addition to traditional skillet foods like pancakes and omelets.
- You should also consider capacity. If you’re only cooking for yourself or a small family, this likely won’t matter, but it can still help to be able to squeeze large quantities of food onto the cooking surface at once. The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet measures 16 X 12 X 2.75 inches, but the Presto 16-Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover is slightly deeper, at 16 inches long by 3 inches deep. If you plan to regularly make fried chicken on your grill, the BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid is built for it, with the ability to hold up to 12 drumsticks at once.
- When you’re finished with your skillet, storage will immediately become an issue. The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet is built for storage. Simply fold the arms down and nest all the parts together to slide it into a cabinet. It’s also lightweight, so taking it with you to events is easier than with many other skillets.
- One pesky thing about electric skillets is that they can tend to be uneven in the way they cook. The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet is best for preventing this, with its unique Control Master heating control. This ensures your food cooks evenly, then stays heated once you put it in warming mode.
- Many of today’s skillets allow you to use them as buffet servers, which comes in handy if you’re cooking for a group. Simply set the skillet on a counter or table and let your guests serve themselves. The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet is designed for this, as is the Presto 16-Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover. But you can also turn down the heat on the BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid and use it buffet-style.
- Moving an electric skillet once it’s hot can be dangerous, so it’s important to pay close attention to the user manual. Skillets like the Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet, De’Longhi 16-Inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid and BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid have handles that stay cool while you’re cooking, allowing you to touch them without oven mitts. The body and control box will likely still be hot, though, so use caution when touching those areas. The handles on the De’Longhi 16-Inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid can be shaky, so it may not be wise to carry it with food inside.
- The De’Longhi 16-Inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid also has a nonskid base to prevent it from moving around while you’re cooking. But the base gets so hot, it can be dangerous for your countertops, so you may want to use it on your stovetop.
- The legs on the BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid are large, providing extra stability while you work. The legs also stay cool, protecting your countertops. The outside of this model also has a coating that helps it stay cool, providing further protection.
- If you’ve ever owned a skillet, you know how long they can last with proper use. The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet resists rust, which is useful for something you’ll be washing every time you use it. The body of the De’Longhi 16-Inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid is made from aluminum for years of use.
- Unfortunately, Teflon-coated surfaces don’t last forever. Even with careful use, you may find the nonstick surface begins to peel. With the BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid, you’ll not only get ceramic nonstick technology that resists wear, but it’s also coated with titanium for extra staying power. This surface provides eight times the durability of traditional nonstick coatings. The De’Longhi 16-Inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid will likely last only two to three years.
- The best thing about nonstick surfaces is that they make cleanup easier. One major downside of the BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid is that it’s not dishwasher safe, so you’ll have to handwash it after each use. The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet, De’Longhi 16-Inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid and Presto 16-Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover are all dishwasher safe.
- A clear lid is always handy to have, especially if you plan to set your griddle up buffet-style. The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet, De’Longhi 16-Inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid, Presto 16-Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover and BELLA 12-inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid all come with clear lids.
- Another important feature on a griddle lid is a vent. This can help keep steam from becoming trapped, which can improve the taste of some foods. The vent on the De’Longhi 16-Inch Electric Skillet With Glass Lid is adjustable, letting you control the amount of steam that escapes.
- The Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet has an attached spout that serves as a handy rest for your spoon or spatula. It also has a drainage spout designed to remove excess grease and broth.