Artscape New Leaf Window Film, 24×36-Inch
Last updated date: November 4, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Decorative Window Films and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Decorative Window Film you should buy.
In our analysis of 45 expert reviews, the Artscape Artscape New Leaf Window Film, 24x36-Inch placed 6th when we looked at the top 15 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note May 21, 2020:
Checkout The Best Decorative Window Film for a detailed review of all the top decorative window films.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Light Effects by Artscape, creates the visual effect and sparkle of textured glass. Light effects window films refract light producing a three-dimensional quality. These thin, translucent films provide privacy while still allowing natural light to enter the room. Artscape films are easily applied to any smooth glass surface. They do not use adhesives and are easily removed if needed. They can be trimmed or combined to fit any size window. The images have a repeating pattern left to right and top to bottom and can be used either vertically or horizontally. These films provide UV protection and are the perfect decorative accent for windows that require continued privacy. Artscape patented products are all made in the USA. Film will appear dark until removed from the protective paper backing and placed on the window. From the Manufacturer Light Effects by Artscape, creates the visual effect and sparkle of textured glass. Light effects window films refract light producing a three-dimensional quality. These thin, translucent films provide privacy while still allowing natural light to enter the room. Artscape films are easily applied to any smooth glass surface. They do not use adhesives and are easily removed if needed. They can be trimmed or combined to fit any size window. The images have a repeating pattern left to right and top to bottom and can be used either vertically or horizontally. These films provide UV protection and are the perfect decorative accent for windows that require continued privacy. Artscape patented products are all made in the USA.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Decorative Window Films
Windows are great for letting light in, but they can bring privacy issues. If you have a big window in your bathroom, for instance, you may feel self-conscious in there at night, especially if you have neighbors nearby.
With decorative window film, you can keep the very thing you like about your house’s windows while still maintaining privacy. You’ll have a wide range of design options to match your own room’s décor, including stained or frosted glass. But beyond your personal preferences when it comes to aesthetics, there are a few very important things to consider.
Vicki Liston serves as writer, producer and host of “On The Fly…DIY,” a home improvement show that helps consumers with their DIY projects. She recommends a film that uses water for application. Just spray the film with water to activate, then attach it directly to the window glass.
“Water-based films hold up better to drastic seasonal changes, so you won’t have to worry about peeling corners when the temperatures outside drop to freezing,” Liston says. “The disadvantage to adhesives, though is that they contain polyvinyl chloride. If you’d rather purchase an eco-friendly alternative, PVC-free decorative films are also available. These adhere via static cling but do require water to create an attachment between it and the glass.”
Even if you choose a water-based film, though, durability can be an issue. Some window films fade in color over time, which means you’ll have to replace them more often than you’d planned. If you’re renting a place for a short time, this may not be as much an issue as if you’re planning to stay in the same house for many years.
Of course, if you‘re looking for a window film, chances are you have an application in mind. If you’re going for a bathroom or bedroom window, be aware that with some films, those on the outside may still be able to see in somewhat, especially if they’re near the window. Fine details will be impossible to make out, but they might still be able to see shadows and movement, keeping you from having the total privacy you’re after.
DWYM Fun Fact
Although stained glass is associated with cathedrals and other places of worship, it’s actually found in buildings across the world. But it’s important to note that stained glass gets its color during the manufacturing process, not by staining the glass after it’s already made. To arrive at the desired color, manufacturers add metal powders to molten glass, at which point the glass develops that tint. The target color is achieved through a combination of oxides and powders. To get blue to bluish-green glass, for instance, manufacturers add copper oxides, while iron oxides provide green and brown tints. Red was traditionally a tough color to achieve, requiring gold, which was too expensive for everyday manufacturing. But today, manufacturers can get red without using gold, which means you’re more likely to see red in modern stained glass than in older buildings where the original windows are in place.
The Decorative Window Film Buying Guide
- The first thing to consider is how your chosen film will be applied. Some require water, while others use static cling to adhere to the window. The Rabbitgoo 3D Mosaic Window Film, 18×79-Inch and Artscape Magnolia Window Film, 24×36-Inch just require a quick spray of either water or soapy water to stick to the window. If you ever want to remove them, you’ll only have to peel them off. They don’t leave a residue.
- As with any items that adhere to a surface, you’ll need to press down on your window film to remove any air bubbles.
“Decorative window film is easily applied with a water spray bottle and a rigid piece of plastic, like a credit card,” Liston says. “Some privacy window films come with squeegees or scrapers but don’t feel like you need to purchase them separately to get the job done. The best advice I’ve ever received is to ‘measure twice and cut once.’ There’s nothing worse than cutting your film, only to realize your measurements were wrong.”
- Once the air bubbles are out and your window film is in place, you can use either a razor blade or box cutter to remove any excess. This can take some of the pressure off to cut your film exactly to size before you install it.
- Some decorative window films can also serve as insulation between your house and the temperatures outside. The Rabbitgoo 3D Mosaic Window Film, 18×79-Inch, and the Coavas Cling Decorative Window Film, 17.7×78.7-Inch help keep air and heat inside your house when you need it, as well as ensuring the outside weather remains outdoors.
- Although design preferences vary from one person to the next, the Rabbitgoo 3D Mosaic Window Film, 18×79-Inch has a stained glass look. The Artscape Magnolia Window Film, 24×36-Inch has a medieval design that some may prefer, while the small mosaic squares of the Rabbitgoo 3D Mosaic Window Film, 18×79-Inch sets it apart from the others.
- If privacy is your top concern, it’s important to note that not all decorative window films are equal. The LEMON CLOUD Decorative Window Film, 35.4×157.4-Inch provides extreme privacy from a distance, but as someone comes closer to the window, it doesn’t block quite as much. The Rabbitgoo 3D Mosaic Window Film, 18×79-Inch does tend to blur visibility, but movements and shadows can still be detected from the other side.
- It’s important to find a film that provides privacy without blocking the natural light coming in. Although the Rabbitgoo 3D Mosaic Window Film, 18×79-Inch blocks approximately 96 percent of UV rays, it lets a soft natural light in that enhances your surroundings.
- You’ll want a film that will look good and offer privacy for many years. The Coavas Cling Decorative Window Film, 17.7×78.7-Inch not only doesn’t fade, but it also doesn’t tear very easily.
- Window films don’t just work for small windows. You can use them on sliding-glass doors and storm doors. Although they’re popular for bathrooms and bedrooms, you can also use them in kitchens, living rooms and entryways. They’re also great for office buildings, retail shops and hotels.