ANTARTISTS Translucent Gel Ant Farm
Last updated date: November 11, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Ant Farms and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Ant Farm you should buy.
Update as November 11, 2021:
Checkout The Best Ant Farm for a detailed review of all the top ant farms.
Another gel ant farm rounds out our top four list. We think that this farm is gorgeous at night, thanks to its translucent gel and LED lighting. It comes with a 50% off coupon for buying your live ants, too. Some people preferred the appearance of a sand ant farm, but this farm's convenience and good looks still make it a great buy.
In our analysis of 24 expert reviews, the ANTARTISTS Translucent Gel Ant Farm placed 10th when we looked at the top 15 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
This beautifully illuminated, turquoise blue gel ant habitat is a fun way for children and adults to learn about the fascinating behavior of ants! The nutritional gel not only makes it easy to observe the ants but also contains all of the food and water the ants need to survive. The LED lights encourage the ants to dig deeper and beautifully highlight the intricate network of tunnels left by your ants. It also acts as a stunning night light that casts a soothing wash of neon blue across the room. Perfect as a bedside, desk or shelf accent light. Everything is Ready to Go and Easy to Set Up It is easy to get started! Inside the package are detailed instructions, a magnifying glass for observation and even an exclusive 50 percent off coupon with detailed instructions to easily order your live ants. Observe as the ants take on different roles. Some ants will dig tunnels, while others guard the surface or groom each other. There is so much to learn by observing the daily behavior of ants. Friendly and Easy to Contact Support We believe that children should learn by doing and we pride ourself in providing high-quality educational toys for your child. If you have any problems with your product, we are here to help. Simply contact us via your Amazon order page and we promise to make it right!
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Ant Farms
Ants are small but hearty creatures that have been around for millions of years. You may not think about them very often unless you’re fighting off some bold ants who have taken over your kitchen. However, we can learn a lot from ants — and buying an ant farm is the best way to do this.
Ant farms have been around for decades. They’re a great way to teach kids about the natural world, or you can set one up for yourself and watch the ants tunnel right before your eyes.
Ants work together to create a colony through this system of tunnels. They communicate through pheromones, sounds and physical contact to form subterranean nests. Watching the ants work in an ant farm is a fascinating peek at one of the most common insects in the world.
Classic ant farms, like Uncle Milton Large Viewing Area Ant Farm, are filled with sand. After pouring the sand in, you’ll add a bit of water and poke a few deep holes through the sand to get some tunnels started for your insect friends. You can use a drinking straw or the small tool that comes with the kit. Make sure the sand is moist but not soggy, then add your ants. Kids can watch them tunnel through the sand, connecting tunnels and building bridges to form a functioning colony.
You’ll need to feed your sand farm ants every few days by dropping some food crumbs into the colony. Fresh fruit and vegetable bits are best. Adding a few droplets of water to your sand farm every day will keep your ants hydrated and healthy. Make sure to pluck uneaten food crumbs out of your ant farm once your ants are done with it. The food can mold if it’s left in the farm too long.
Newer ant farms are very low maintenance thanks to a futuristic NASA-tested gel. The gel provides all of the nutrition that the ants need to survive, and it’s easy for them to tunnel through it.
All of our top-pick gel ant farms come pre-filled with the gel, so you don’t need to worry about a messy setup. All you have to do is create three or four deep tunnels with the included tool, then the farm is ready for your ants.
Most of these gel farms also come with light-up LEDs along the bottom of the farm. Evviva’s Amazing Ant Habitat comes with a beautiful blue light strip, so you can watch your ants tunnel deep into the gel at night.
Ant farms don’t come with the ants you’ll need to get started, but there are plenty of places to buy ants online.
Ant farms are an affordable, fun way to bring the wonders of nature into your home. Read on for some tips and advice for a successful ant farm.
The Ant Farm Buying Guide
- Before you buy your ant farm, make sure you find a safe place in your home for your new critters. Gel ant farms need to be plugged in for their light-up LEDs to work, so you’ll want to find a flat surface that isn’t far from a power outlet. You can move gel ant farms from room to room without causing any colony chaos. However, once you’ve picked a location for your sand ant farm, it needs to stay there permanently. The tunnels in a sand ant farm will collapse if you move it, and then your little friends’ work will go to waste.
- Buy harvester ants when you’re purchasing your first live ants online. They are foragers who create the tunnels and mounds that are essential for a well-functioning ant farm. They’re also larger ants that won’t slip through the sides of your ant farm.
- Most online vendors don’t sell or ship queen ants across state lines because they might escape and cause problems with existing ant species in your community. It’s impossible to sustain an ant farm for longer than a few months without a queen ant, but you’ll still learn a great deal about ant colonies with your harvester ants.
- Ants thrive in environments between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. You may want to keep your farm away from windows or space heaters to make sure they don’t overheat. These temperature restrictions can also affect when your ant vendor mails your insect pals to you. In extreme temperatures, the vendor might wait to make sure your ants arrive alive and thrive.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide