Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger
Last updated date: May 14, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Portable Chargers and dug through the reviews from 11 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, Runner Click, Tech Gear Lab, Land Of The Traveler, Power Bank Guide, Trek Bible, Charger Harbor, Power Bank Expert, XDA Developers, Deteched, Charge Champ and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Portable Charger you should buy.
For portability, you can't go wrong with the Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger, which is slightly larger than a tube of lipstick. Its size makes it easy to slip into a pocket so that you can charge on the go. However, there are some sacrifices with this model, including the ability to only charge one device at a time. In our analysis of 64 expert reviews, the Anker Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger placed 8th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note May 21, 2019:
Checkout The Best Portable Charger for a detailed review of all the top portable chargers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Anker PowerCore+ mini The often copied but never equalled lipstick-shaped portable charger is now better than ever. From Anker, America's Leading Charging Brand Faster and safer charging with our leading technology 30 million+ happy users and counting Same Size, Better Performance The original lipstick tube design. Now upgraded with premium quality battery cells to ensure superior performance and safety. PowerIQ Intelligent high-speed charging for all your devices. Convenient LED Indicator Light lets you know how much juice is left. MultiProtect Safety System Surge protection, short circuit protection and premium LG battery cells keep you and your devices safe. World Famous Warranty At Anker, we believe in our products. That's why we back them all with an 18-month warranty and provide friendly, easy-to-reach support. Notes: Use the included Micro-USB cable, your original cable or a third-party certified one (such as MFi); AC adapter not included. Please use your original Apple charging cable (not included) to charge Apple products. Compatible with most USB-charged devices, including iPhone 8 / X / XS / XS Max / XR (Lightning cable required), Android smartphones and tablets (including the Nexus 7). Not compatible with the iPod nano, iPod Classic; Not for devices with an input below 50mA (e. g. some Bluetooth headsets and GPS devices). To enable USB-A output, press the button below the output before connecting your device. The rated capacity (minimum output) is 2010mAh. What's in the Box 1 Anker PowerCore+ mini portable charger 1 Micro USB cable 1 travel pouch 1 welcome guide
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Portable Chargers
There’s no shortage of portable chargers available. In fact, once you start shopping, you’ll likely immediately be aware of the vast array of products out there. But although portable chargers may look alike, some even promising very similar specifications, there are notable differences from one product to the next.
One of the biggest features to look at when shopping for a portable charger is how long it will take to charge your devices. This is especially important if you have a device with fast-charging capabilities since not all portable chargers support that. A device that can fully charge multiple items at once in a limited amount of time may be well worth paying extra or sacrificing other features, such as portability.
Another feature that sets some newer chargers apart from others is the ability to charge more than just a smartphone or tablet. Some of these devices can charge a laptop or gaming console, making them useful if you’re regularly out and about with these items. You’ll also find some chargers can plug into your computer and act as a hub, charging multiple devices at once while you’re working.
While all portable chargers are designed to tuck into backpacks and laptop bags, some are even more powerful. If it’s important to be able to slip your charger into a pocket or handbag, look for much smaller devices. Some are only slightly larger than a tube of lipstick, making them especially portable, but you may sacrifice power and charging capabilities for that convenience.
While you’re waiting for your devices to charge, you may occasionally want to check in on status. Some chargers have indicator lights that show you exactly where you are in the process, giving you a general idea of the time you have left. However, if you’re only charging smartphones and laptops, you’ll likely be able to get this same information by looking at the device itself.
DYWM Fun Fact
USB-C is poised to revolutionize the way devices are charged. Instead of having multiple ports on a device for all the different cables you need, with a USB-C, you can use the same port as both an input and an output. This can be seen on newer equipment like MacBooks. You can either plug your power cord or your USB charging cord into any of the ports provided, aside from the headphone jack, but even that is changing. Some phones replace the headphone jack with a USB-C port, although you’ll still find the traditional 3.5mm headphone jack on laptops. The goal with USB-C is not only to streamline the ports that devices need to have but also to provide a single standard that will make life easier for everyone.
The Portable Charger Buying Guide
- A good portable charger starts with its power. The Anker PowerCore+ Portable Charger and Jackery Supercharge Portable Charger pack the biggest punches, with 26800mAh of power each. You’ll still get impressive power in the ZMI USB PD Backup Battery, which has 20000mAh capacity. The much smaller Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger lags behind, with only 3350mAh.
- The time it takes to charge is a top consideration. Although this can vary depending on the capacity of each device you’re charging, the Anker PowerCore+ Portable Charger generally excels at this, with the ability to charge three devices at once at a lightning-fast speed.
- Before you can charge other items, you’ll need to charge the portable charging device. The Anker PowerCore+ Portable Charger can charge faster than other power banks, reaching full capacity in about 6.5 hours. The Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger also falls behind in this area, taking approximately three hours to fully recharge after depletion.
- One factor determining how quickly your portable charger can get results is whether or not it supports the new fast-charging capabilities built into many modern devices. The ZMI USB PD Backup Battery stands out from the pack here, supporting all the current protocols, including USB PD 2.0, QC 3.0 and BC 1.2. The Anker PowerCore+ Portable Charger can’t compete in this area, lacking the ability to charge devices like the iPhone X or iPhone 8 at the fastest available speed.
- New charging technologies built into devices like laptops and gaming consoles make it easier to build portable chargers for them. The ZMI USB PD Backup Battery can not only charge your smartphone but it also capably charges the newer MacBooks that have Thunderbolt ports, as well as being able to charge the Nintendo Switch at the fastest possible rate in handheld mode. The Jackery Supercharge Portable Charger can also charge both MacBooks and Nintendo Switch consoles. The Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger is very limited in what it can charge, lacking the power necessary to handle most tablets. You’ll also find it can’t charge the latest Android phones, which have higher-capacity batteries.
- One of the best things about the ZMI USB PD Backup Battery is its ability to serve as a hub. Simply plug it into a computer’s USB-C port, then plug your items into the two USB-A ports to charge while you work.
- If you’re concerned about portability, look closely at the weight and size of the devices you’re considering. The Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger is among the lightest portable chargers you’ll find, weighing only 2.8 ounces. Compare this to the 15.16 ounces you’ll get with the Jackery Supercharge Portable Charger, and you can see the difference. Both the ZMI USB PD Backup Battery and Anker PowerCore+ Portable Charger are on the higher end of weight, at 14.25 and 13.5 ounces respectively.
- The Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger is also far easier to slip into a pocket, measuring only 3.5 inches long and 0.9 inches thick. The ZMI USB PD Backup Battery, Anker PowerCore+ Portable Charger and Jackery Supercharge Portable Charger all have longer, slimmer profiles, similar in shape to a smartphone. They each measure around 6 inches by 3 inches, meaning they’ll still easily slip into a laptop bag or purse, but they may not be quite as easy to carry around all day with you.
- Portability comes at a price, however. With the Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger, you can charge only one device at a time. The Anker PowerCore+ Portable Charger, on the other hand, has three powerful output ports. With the ZMI USB PD Backup Battery, you also get three charging ports. That includes a USB-C input and output port, which means you can either use it to charge a device or accept a charge. The Jackery Supercharge Portable Charger has only two ports, a USB-C and a USB-A.