The Best Bathroom Canister
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Your bathroom is the most moisture-prone room in your home. In fact, one study found that humidity increases exponentially once the shower’s running, even with adequate ventilation. That brings a few challenges for the items you store in that room.
Your paper products are the most vulnerable to all that moisture. Items like cotton balls and cotton swabs, along with your tissues and toilet paper, can start to break down over weeks and months of moisture exposure. Today’s bathrooms often situate the toilet in a room or cubby that at least provides some protection for those paper products, but you’ll still deal with it in the paper items in other areas of the bathroom.
That’s where a good canister can come in. Made of glass or thick plastic, these storage devices are designed to keep your cotton products dry and safe from dust and debris. The plastic is thick, forming a good barrier, and the lid, while not typically airtight, will seal enough to offer protection.
One great thing about bathroom canisters is that they typically have lids that just rest atop the jar. You simply lift the lid and grab the item you want, rather than having to pry a lid open. You can find bathroom canisters in a variety of styles, but they’re usually clear to allow you to see what’s inside.
Often bathroom canisters are sold in sets. Some are sized exactly the same while others offer sets of different-sized containers to let you store a variety. You can use the smaller canister for toiletries like cotton swabs and save the bigger ones for hair accessories or cotton balls.
Bathroom canisters aren’t limited to bathrooms, either. Some find the style ideal for office supplies or storing wrapped candy. Since the seal isn’t airtight, it’s not a good option for perishable foods or coffee grounds, but you can set it on a shelf in your kitchen to hold sweetener or condiment packets.
Our Picks For The Top Bathroom Canisters
- 1. Amolliar Open-Set Lid Bathroom Canisters, 2-Pack
- 2. Tbestmax Lightweight Plastic Bathroom Canisters, 3-Pack
- 3. AOZITA Adhesive Labels Bathroom Canisters, 4-Pack
- 4. Kook Airtight Glass Bathroom Canisters, 2-Pack
- 5. Suwimut Sealed Ball Lid Glass Bathroom Canisters, 3-Pack
- 6. SheeChung Twine Wrapped Mason Jar Bathroom Canisters, 2-Pack
- 7. Elwiya Rust-Proof Steel Lid Bathroom Canisters, 2-Pack
- 8. STORi Assorted Sizes Acrylic Bathroom Canisters, 3-Pack
- 9. mDesign Shatter-Resistant Plastic Bathroom Canisters, 2-Pack
- 10. Amolliar Stainless Steel Lid Bathroom Canisters, 6-Pack
Open-Set Lid Bathroom Canisters, 2-Pack
Store smaller items like hair accessories, cotton swabs and cotton balls in these small jars, which are clear to make it easy to see what’s inside. Each jar has a bronze lid that rests on top of it without screwing on for easy access. The jars are made from plastic and hold up even when dropped for a lasting solution.
Classy and ElegantYou’ll get two small jars in this set, both featuring clear glass with bronze lids that will be a great fit for any décor.
Lightweight Plastic Bathroom Canisters, 3-Pack
You’ll get three jars in this set, each measuring 2.7 inches high and 2.5 inches in diameter. The plastic is thick and solid but looks like glass, and the clear lids are trimmed in silver to give the set a classy look. It can hold a variety of items and the lid is tight once placed to help keep dust particles out.
Simple DesignThese three jars feature a simple design that helps it blend easily with a variety of bathroom décors.
Adhesive Labels Bathroom Canisters, 4-Pack
You’ll get four 10-ounce jars in this set, each featuring a clear plastic design. The plastic is thick and durable and the lids form a tight seal. This set includes labels with attractive, whimsical printing, as well as some plain labels that allow you to customize your contents.
Versatile UsesYou’ll get four dispensers with lids in this set, with a design that makes it ideal for a variety of uses.
Airtight Glass Bathroom Canisters, 2-Pack
You’ll get two 36-ounce jars in this set, each made from a sturdy, chip-resistant glass. The lids have easy grip knobs to make it easy to access the internal contents. Both the lid and the canister are clear to easily blend with any space.
Classic OptionThis set of canisters is made from high-quality glass for a classic addition to your bathroom.
What to Look For
- For easy access, look for a jar that doesn’t have a lid that screws on or clasps. This will let you lift the lid with one hand to grab your item. It’s especially important to go with this type of lid if you’re storing an item you access often.
- Durability is a challenge with traditional bathroom canisters, which were made of easily breakable glass. Today’s canisters are usually made from thick plastic or break-resistant glass to withstand the occasional collision.
- Most bathroom canisters aren’t airtight, so if you’re looking for something to store perishables like unwrapped food, you’ll need to look for one with a lid that forms an airtight seal.
- Pay close attention to the measurements if you’re ordering your canisters online. Pictures can make jars and bowls look larger than they are in person, so you may end up unpleasantly surprised. Capacity can also provide insight. Some smaller canisters are perfect for holding cotton swabs, while you’ll want something wider and taller for toiletries, accessories or cotton balls.
- If you go with a canister that isn’t clear, invest in some labels to offer hints as to what’s inside. This is particularly essential if you’re buying them for use by guests who might not know what each canister contains like you do.
- The lid of a canister needs to be easy to lift off with one hand so that you can reach in and retrieve your items with the other. Many canisters come with knobs or handles that make it easy to lift them up.
- If mildew is a concern in your bathroom, your cotton balls can be a handy tool. Soak them in bleach or a bleach cleaner, then set them in the corner of your tub or shower. Keep them there for a couple of hours before removing them and rinsing off any remaining bleach. You can also add cinnamon to some cotton balls and place them around your bathroom for a more affordable alternative to traditional air fresheners.
Bathroom Canister Rankings
More to Explore
Bathroom canisters can often go by the name “apothecary jars.” This fancy word actually derives from the Latin word “apotheca,” which means “storehouse.” Apothecaries date all the way back to medieval times, where they were known for their ability to get luxury goods. But the apothecary evolved over the years, and by the 16th century, apothecaries served a role similar to a modern-day pharmacist.
Apothecary jars evolved, as well, starting as a luxury item used to display expensive goods in homes. As the role of the apothecary evolved, these jars would often bear labeling describing the items stored inside. The wording was typically in Latin, and as apothecaries began serving pharmacist roles, they relied on that wording and contrasted it to the instructions in their handbooks, known as “materia medica.”