ZMI USB PD Backup Battery
Last updated date: April 1, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Portable Chargers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Portable Charger you should buy.
The best thing about the ZMI USB PD Backup Battery is that it supports all of the latest fast-charging protocols, including USB PD 2.0, QC 3.0 and BC 1.2. It also has the power to charge items besides smartphones and tablets, taking on your MacBook or Nintendo Switch console with ease. It does weigh a little more than other portable chargers, but we love that you get three charging ports, with one serving as either an input or output. In our analysis of 60 expert reviews, the ZMI ZMI USB PD Backup Battery placed 11th when we looked at the top 15 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note April 15, 2020:
Checkout The Best Portable Charger for a detailed review of all the top portable chargers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Since 2014, Zimi Corporation has cumulatively sold over 80 million portable chargers/battery packs worldwide, including our PowerPack line of fast-charging battery packs. The PowerPack 20000 offers more power storage and faster charging speeds than any PowerPack ever. No matter where you go, the PowerPack 20000 will make sure your phone or laptop stays charged. With the PowerPack 20000, you no longer have to constantly search for an open power outlet. You no longer have to be stuck in an awkward position while trying to charge and use your phone at the same time. You can lie comfortably in bed and watch hours of movies on your laptop. Or you can explore the world and always have enough power to stay connected to your friends and family. Whether you are an avid gamer or a business person always on the go, the PowerPack 20000 will ensure you stay charged wherever you go, whenever. Note: When traveling by plane, FAA regulations require you to store your portable charger in your carry-on luggage, NOT checked-in luggage. So there's this growing trend in laptops that only offer one port...we can solve that problem. With the PowerPack 20000, you get 2 devices in 1. Not only a portable charger, the PowerPack 20000 also has a USB Hub mode (USB 2.0 compliant) that delivers data transfer over its USB ports. Need to connect a mouse to your laptop? Plug it into the PowerPack 20000. Need to access an external flash drive? Plug it in. Need to connect a gaming controller? Plug it in. In addition, the USB Hub mode is perfect for powering your smaller devices that will require a smaller charging current. These may include smart watches, Bluetooth headphones, fitness trackers, and other wearables. With these features, you can create a portable office (or gaming center), so you can get some serious work done wherever you go.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Portable Chargers
There’s no shortage of portable chargers available. In fact, once you start shopping, you’ll likely immediately be aware of the vast array of products out there. But although portable chargers may look alike, some even promising very similar specifications, there are notable differences from one product to the next.
One of the biggest features to look at when shopping for a portable charger is how long it will take to charge your devices. This is especially important if you have a device with fast-charging capabilities since not all portable chargers support that. A device that can fully charge multiple items at once in a limited amount of time may be well worth paying extra or sacrificing other features, such as portability.
Another feature that sets some newer chargers apart from others is the ability to charge more than just a smartphone or tablet. Some of these devices can charge a laptop or gaming console, making them useful if you’re regularly out and about with these items. You’ll also find some chargers can plug into your computer and act as a hub, charging multiple devices at once while you’re working.
While all portable chargers are designed to tuck into backpacks and laptop bags, some are even more powerful. If it’s important to be able to slip your charger into a pocket or handbag, look for much smaller devices. Some are only slightly larger than a tube of lipstick, making them especially portable, but you may sacrifice power and charging capabilities for that convenience.
While you’re waiting for your devices to charge, you may occasionally want to check in on status. Some chargers have indicator lights that show you exactly where you are in the process, giving you a general idea of the time you have left. However, if you’re only charging smartphones and laptops, you’ll likely be able to get this same information by looking at the device itself.
DWYM Fun Fact
USB-C is poised to revolutionize the way devices are charged. Instead of having multiple ports on a device for all the different cables you need, with a USB-C, you can use the same port as both an input and an output. This can be seen on newer equipment like MacBooks. You can either plug your power cord or your USB charging cord into any of the ports provided, aside from the headphone jack, but even that is changing. Some phones replace the headphone jack with a USB-C port, although you’ll still find the traditional 3.5mm headphone jack on laptops. The goal with USB-C is not only to streamline the ports that devices need to have but also to provide a single standard that will make life easier for everyone.
The Portable Charger Buying Guide
- A good portable charger starts with its power. Portable chargers can range from 10,000 to 26,800 mAh.
- The time it takes to charge is also a top consideration. Although this can vary depending on the capacity of each device you’re charging, some portable chargers have the ability to charge two or three devices at once at a lightning-fast speed.
- Before you can charge other items, you’ll need to charge the portable charging device. You’ll want to evaluate your new portable charger on how quickly it charges up, depending on your needs.
- One factor determining how quickly your portable charger can get results is whether or not it supports the new fast-charging capabilities built into many modern devices.
- New charging technologies built into devices like laptops and gaming consoles make it easier to build portable chargers for them. Some portable chargers can not only charge your smartphone but can also capably charge the newer MacBooks that have Thunderbolt ports, as well as the Nintendo Switch.
- If you’re concerned about portability, look closely at the weight and size of the devices you’re considering. Do you need a device that you can carry in your pocket, or is a slightly larger charge OK for your needs?
- Some portable chargers have longer, slimmer profiles, similar in shape to a smartphone. The measure around 6 inches by 3 inches, meaning they’ll still easily slip into a laptop bag or purse, but they may not be quite as easy to carry around all day with you.
- Portability comes at a cost, however. Smaller chargers can typically only charge one device at a time. Larger chargers can charge up to three devices at once.